Bread which breed

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Evening all ..

Last night apart from getting mugwhumped by a dang Goose i was using bread BUT i had taken "Kingsmill" and i found it was basically disintigrating as it hit the water .

Question is to anyone's knowledge is one make better than another i have used "Warburtons" previously and that was ok stayed on the hook and caught fish .

Your thoughts on the subject if you please ..and any ingenious goose frightener ... :wh :eek:mg: ..

PG

lambert1

Reaction score
Mick B was something of an authority on bread, but he has not posted for a while. I am sure he recommended Tesco's Danish loaf, but a quick search of his posts might help. I too have found Warburton's Blue ok, but the Hovis White thick or medium sliced is ok also. As for the Geese...............

barbelboi

Reaction score
bread_zpsopp8cxj6.jpg

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it is certainly good to know that Warburtons White sliced is good for something, as it is definitely not fit for human consumption . . . . . .

I would totally agree with Simon, fresh bloomner from the baker for flake and a sliced loaf for punched bread.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I use the cheapo Morrison brown sliced loaf, I find it moist enough and good for little bits of crusts as well.

greenie62

Reaction score
Well, it is certainly good to know that Warburtons White sliced is good for something, as it is definitely not fit for human consumption . . . . . ..

It is one of the local traditional brands up here!
Warbies were a family bakery from Bolton - and were shareholders in Bolton Wanderers, whereas the local rival bakers - Rathbones - were from Wigan and were owned by Dave Whelan, a key figure on the board of Wigan Athletic. The rivalry between the 2 bakeries went beyond the ovens and onto the pitch! :eek:

Some of the local anglers would buy bread from Warbies - for the fish - as well as bread from Ratties - for their snap (butties) - God help the missus if she got 'em mixed-up! :eek::D:eek:mg:

rubio

Reaction score
Worth a read if you like fishing with bread is an article on here by the late Keith Speer about fishing "wet bread"

I've found any of Keith's articles very helpful, that one in particular. Stale bread mash is superior to liquidised bread but does take more planning. as far as the warburtons vs others goes I'm not too distressed to have to use hovis or own brand but don't find value loaves to be much cop on the hook. I will often root around on the back of the shelf to find a loaf with later best before dates, especially for punch. Frequently I use punches (old sections of pole) up to 10-15 mm and play around with folding, twisting, squeezing the bread in different ways on the day to get it to flutter and fall differently. 'Steaming' a few slices in a microwave and also rolling pin treatment can help but often the reason bread doesn't stay on the hook well is because the hook is too small. It's a big fluffy bait in the water and can hide a hook well.
Whatever you choose to do persist as bread is a master at tempting good fish. Don't neglect brown bread either.Good luck.

fruitowl

Reaction score
well for me it's the Tesco value, i'm just cheap but I have had some nice carp free lining I find it holds the hook well and liquidised is great.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Tried various over the years, but none match the old original Mothers Pride for me. Warburtons and a soft white from Waitrose not to bad... Trouble is, the current weather with such high ambient temps, turns even the freshest of breads into something resembling pale toast pretty quickly - even wrapped up and shaded !

I use a set of metal meat punches from around 3 mm to 15mm diameter to punch out discs of sliced, which I then squeeze one side flat ( leaving the other fluffy ) for impaling onto the hook. Stays on fairly well and the hook point is clear of the bread which is sometimes a problem with small pieces of flake.
In the water it puffs up well and has caught me a shed load of roach and crucians fished on the drop...If I'm missing bites this usually solves the problem.

Worth a try for good roach........................

stripey

Reaction score
for bread punch i always put each slice in the micro wave for about 8 seconds on full blast, it makes the bread go doughy and stays on the hook better even when casting at distance, do it the night before, put it in a air tight plaggy bag in the fridge, there is no need to microwave for feed, just liquidize as normal.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Thanks folks .

Had a couple of nice tench Friday morning on Warbies along with a good bream and a couple of roach Oh and one Gob almighty midget perch when i dared to try maggot .
A size 12 hook with 3 maggots on the hook and bait were almost as big as the pesky perch gobbed it right down as well .. :eek:mg:

PG ..