Cleaning &Maintenance of Vintage Reels ? Allcocks Aerial & Hardy Conquest

Adrian Gay

Reaction score
I was wondering if those of you in the know would be prepared to give some advice on maintenance and cleaning of vintage reels. I guess my questions break down in two parts; a general question and then a more specific question.

Question 1. What are the general guide lines for cleaning and maintaining vintage fishing reels.<ul>[*]Should the reels be fully dismantled before cleaning?[*]Is okay to just drop the entire reel into a bucket of warm soapy water.[*]What is the best way to remove old dirt and grime caked in to the recesses on a reel?[*]After a reel has been cleaned what lubricant should you use – silicon grease or light oil? What sort of oil?[/list]

Question 2. <ul>[*]I have just become the owner of an Allcocks Match Aerial narrow drum and would like to know how to clean it? I now understand the hype about these reels the one that I have is fantastic – I can not believe that it is as old as it is. It has wear on the paint but it spins really well and the tension spring for the ratchet works fine – I am really pleased with it – however it needs a clean to remove old grime and dirt – how should I go about it?[*]I have also become the owner of a vintage Hardy Conquest Reel – the later model with ivorine dial on the back plate – and whilst the reel is in super condition I am very disappointed in its performance the drum does not rotate well at all. There is no damage as far as I can tell to the reel, no scraping noises, no wobble etc. All looks to be fine. Does any one have an opinion on the performance of these Hardy reels? Should I send the reel to Hardy for service? – again has any one experience of these reels? Is it possible that the lubrication of the spindle could affect performance of the reel considerably? I have other centre pins and they all seem to perform better that this Hardy Conquest. Any advice greatly appreciated.[*]Finally I have owned an Adcock and Stanton now for many years – it is a great reel and a pleasure to use. Can anyone advise on maintenance of these reels? [/list]

Hopeful for any advice

Regards Adrian

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I would clean the reel in clean waterwith a little washing up liquid and give it a scrub with a nylon brush if necessary, rinse well and leave to dry. ThenI would lube with sewing machine oil.