Coarse fishing in the rain.

mvwales

Reaction score
What are your experienceces of fishing in the rain, do you find it has adverse affect on your fishing or do you find it improves your fishing and catch rate?

sam vimes

Reaction score
It varies depending on the day in question. Some days rain starting has kicked off a feeding spell, some days rain stopping has killed a swim. Some days it's made not a blind bit of difference either way.

B

binka

I've got to admit that despite trying I've never been able to come up with anything that I would consider conclusive in answer to that question, the general effects of rain seem totally random to me :confused:

Except maybe in winter when a period of rain after a prolonged cold snap can put a warmer flush of water through and maybe trigger feeding...

wes79

Reaction score
What are your experienceces of fishing in the rain, do you find it has adverse affect on your fishing or do you find it improves your fishing and catch rate?

If it started out nice and sunny and then the day goes all pear shaped (rain, no brolley or rain coat) then I get a bit depressed and usually end up fighting with the nearest dog walker.

Last time I got blamed for the weather, that was it mate, spat my dummy out, tried to launch the fat p&^%$ who walked past giving it the bigun with his "good day" icebreaker (tried to windmill him but didn't connect) and I went in the river, but in spite of it all I grabbed the pod with alarms and dragged them in with me (LOL) almost always gear gets thrown in the river when I'm around, even the rods have been known to get snapped before they get thrown in, I'm a carp angler who must catch or I get a bit moody, what do you expect, I can't carry my complete carp fishing tackle plus rods,reels and rigs collection all that and smoke a spliff on the way back to the car park, got one hand carrying my ghetto blaster.
Not sure how it effects my fishing as I'm far to ****** after my fifth can of Kessy suppit to know, it rained yesterday and I left my tackle where it was (couldn't be bothered to pack down, needed to find the chippy) rand my mate so he could keep the peg on a relay will pop down tommorow see if its there and carry on where I left off, yea! bivvy with bacon wafting, yea mate.......:eek:mg:

only kidding. :)

Quite like a bit of rain, ever like that cosy feel of being dry under a descent rain mac or under a brolley and not giving a **** about the rain, I like the tip-tap of the rain hitting the spot, adds a bit of texture to life, a welcome applause of natural music, brings out the free Chub baits and adds a smell of sequential feel good earthy aroma, big fan of rain, before and after mainly though, but not one of these that melts from it, here's to a bit of rain hey! :D

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It varies from species, tench certainly like a bit of rain-some figures might help for a with a bit of perspective taken over 15 years of fishing for all species put into a average percentage:-

sunny-21.78
sun/cloud- 19.84
overcast-26.99
rain-31.38

So yes, I would say fishing in the rain is an advantage, however, fished yesterday in the rain for 3 hours and did not have a bite so, my numbers could be all Greek; a bit like their economy.
On reflection, all fishing is Greek to me- full stop.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
As gentle drizzle rapidly changed to a torrential downpour yesterday, I debated whether I really should get my brolly and waterproof coat from the car, the Met Office had omitted to mention the rain in their daily outpourings:)omg:)

Discretion, coupled with the fact I have had a couple of very good days fishing pools in downpours made up my mind. Sadly rain, coat or brolly made not one iota of difference on the river:rolleyes:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I hate the Rain, a lifetime spent working outside in all weathers has made me realise that unless you have to go out in the stuff it's best to stay indoors.

On a number of occasions I have turned round and gone home when it started raining, if I was set up and there was a break in the rain I would back up and again I would head for home.

The worse was getting a run in torrential rain and having to play a fish whilst getting soaked through to the skin.

As for the fishing, I don't think I have notice an increase in my results over the years, but low pressure has an affect, which improves fishing generally ?

Bob

barbelboi

Reaction score
I’m of an opinion pretty much the same as Bob’s although I’m not sure how atmospheric pressure actually affects fish as it seems to. As I posted in a similar thread a while ago hydrostatic pressure is much more intense than air pressure due to water being considerably denser than air. So, if a fish changes its depth even a couple of feet up or down it will go through more of a pressure change in seconds than any of us will ever experience on dry land. How could the barometric pressure above the surface affect a fish that goes through equal to a surface pressure change if they move only a few inches up, or down in the water............

I also believe that rain at different temperatures will affect different fish in different ways – fish like chub and trout may well be aware that rain knocks insects off trees, bushes, etc., and may become more active.

Keith M

Reaction score
I think that lots of things can affect your fishing after rain such as whether the rainwater is draining off from road surfaces or from chemically treated farm land and whether the rain is having a cooling affect on the water which can either be beneficial or detrimental depending on the time of year.

During hot spells when the water can't hold as much oxygen I've noticed that a nice bit of cooling rain can improve the fishing, but on a cold winters day It is sometimes the kiss of death.

But all things being equal I don't think it makes much difference apart from the above factors.

One thing that I remember from my early fibreglass and split cane days in the late 70's was a warm muggy night when the Carp in a local pond went absolutely mad and were almost climbing up our rods during a violent thunder storm; this lasted from about an hour before the storm arrived till half an hour after it had passed, so I am sure that the fish must have felt the increased pressure ahead of the storm and together with the lightening it seemed to wake them from their stupor with an appetite.
We had 15 Carp between us in a little over 1.5 hours and were actually praying that the runs would stop until the rain had eased off a little so we could keep dry under our brollies LOL.

NB. Of course we would never dream of being so stupid now we're older and wiser especially now we're using carbon fibre rods LOL. but it serves to illustrate a point LOL.

Keith

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
I don't think I'd be stupid enough to fish with a cane rod in a thunder storm Keith - look at all those trees that get struck by lightning...........;)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
markg.......You can't fool me ! All that baloney about ' fishing is all Greek to me ' is adequately shown to be cobblers simply because of the many times quality that forms ( most ) of your posts.
Anyway, enough of the flattery; Rainy days for me, as with many others, has given me some wonderful fish, but I cannot say in all honesty the reason I caught was because it was raining at the time. As far as I'm concerned I believe rain does two things; firstly it usually rids the water of dry weather fishermen who come to sun bathe and secondly I think it gives you more thinking time....almost as though it slows one down to become more thoughtful about what one is trying to achieve. Perhaps it's because everything takes more effort (maybe one will probably cast less ) or adopt tactics which allow a more sedate way of fishing eg fish the ledger rather than the more demanding, float fishing.....

Many,many times I've sat under the brollie and just enjoyed the solitude, quiet and just being alone with my thoughts. In my opinion I think the rain running down the sides of the brollie gives the feeling of being in a room and watching the rain fall without getting wet.......

I can think of blanks as easily as wonderful catches of tench but either way I just take rain as part of fishing (and before anyone says it, I'm not fishing today in the rain as I'm making bread and cooking hemp !) and ( most times ) it would never stop me fishing.

.....and anyway, what we get in tis country in the main is light stuff compared to that which falls in foreign parts. I well remember fishing the Vaal Dam in South Africa many moons ago where the massive rain fall was accompanied by hail stones the size of golf balls and maybe bigger ! The rain was incessant and truly of monsoon proportions but we fished on - for about the time it took to reach the farmhouse....the gear got wetter !!

No, for my money you have to embrace the rain and try to enjoy what it offers rather than fight it and be miserable, although I fully understand it's not everyone's bag.. I can only see it as a challenge just as I do with snow and ice, and catching under extreme conditions is a bit special IMHO..

ps Jerry .......Some time ago I experienced decent rain at the ' Farm Ponds ' for around 5 hours and in late Autumn - not a bit funny, I can tell you especially having to fumble with locked gates on the way out......................Ugh !!

pps Apologies to the OP....Due to my babbling on I didn't really answer your post....

Back in April and May when fishing a still water I had some very nice roach in the rain ( from an otherwise dodgy, shallow swim ) on hemp. Again, I cannot say the rain was the cause, but the swim in question didn't normally produce and hasn't since. All I will say is that it was very quiet with only me fishing, so maybe this was the real reason - who knows !
At the end of the day you'll need to fish in all conditions to form any opinion of your own, but then that's what fishing is all about, innit ?

ppps It goes without saying that packing up and drying the gear at home is nothing short of grim and many's the time I've felt like throwing the sopping rods and gear in the lake, and be done with it !

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Tony, that same farm pond a few years ago after the rivers closed (probably the third week in March) I was fishing by myself catching some of the decent roach and lost all track of time. Before I knew it was really late (for me;)) about 18.00hrs and getting dark. I didn't have a torch with me so packed up in a rush to get to that woodland gate padlock before it got too dark - forgot it's always dark under those trees:eek:. The short version, after about 10 minutes of squinting and muttering something like 'bother' (I didn't even know if the numbers were the right way up) I remembered the flashlight on my 'phone...................

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
There is rain and there is rain. If I can get set up before it starts I will fish in light or steady rain [ albeit under protest & whingeing ] provided I'm not trotting ! Heavy rain is another matter. I dont think that helps at all and too often I've seen rivers fill almost before my eyes and this time of year that usually means all manner of roadwash & shoite which is likely to kill things stone dead.

I avoid rain if I possibly can. Irrespective of what effect it may or may not have on the fishing it annoys the hell out of me. I have never needed to go so badly that I am prepared to get soaked through.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Don't I just know what you mean !
If that place has a failing it is those damned gates/locks and as with you, I've stood almost shaking with anger in trying to fathom the codes and why they are so low down ! Just as easy to have them at the top IMHO.

At least you'll be done with them in the not too distant................

ps With all the wet weather gear around today, rain fishing is pretty easy. Back in the old days ( late 1940's - groan ) all we had was army surplus capes which sat on one like an upside down umbrella. They had a pocket, but this was, I understand for the gas mask !!

Happy days.....

Last edited:

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
My first LIF Fish-in was a little damp :eek: It was very noticeable though that the guys on here with real ability and experience still managed to catch some good fish, a lesson that I have tried to adhere to since, not always with the same result:eek:mg:

bracket

Reaction score
I don't think rain has a marked effect on the quality of the fishing. The atmospheric conditions that accompany rain may do and the after effects of it ie high water levels certainly do. With regards to fishing in the rain, well I to remember the the times when good quality weather gear was non existant but nowadays there is a raft of excellent kit available. For myself I alway stand when trotting on the river, so a good pair of waders and a three quarter length Berghaus gore-text jacket is all I need to stay bone dry and comfortable for day. That said I do detest tackling up in heavy rain. Pete

stripey

Reaction score
i always fish under bridges when it rains... thats where the fish go when its raining..... so they don't get wet!!!!!!

john step

Reaction score
I don't mind fishing in the rain, its just the packing away that 's a pain. Luckily my garage is integral and most things dry overnight.

I do think however that the noise of those really heavy downpours on the surface kills it dead.
If the weather forecast says rain I pick my venue where I can get the car reasonable close and peg my Korum brolly out and sit quite snugly.

I do accept to being a bit strange though as I still enjoy camping in the Lakes and we all know it never rains there does it??

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
As tee cee says, it could be the different approach rain induces that has something to do with it, sitting under a brolly listening to the rain does sort of induce a hypnotic state of mind, where the whole world is shut out and it is a nice slowed down, calming state of mind; and you are less likely to be fiddling about, reeling in every five mins, changing the bait etc. Well, that's me more often than not. Rain does sort of make you tune in more to what your doing and looking at.
I remember well, sitting with Dad on uncomfortable stools, in his gaberdine raincoat and his cloth cap with the rain pouring of it all day. his pipe would just stick out enough to stay alight. Tougher breed however, he did end up with arthritis.
Respect Pete, standing, wading and trotting rain or sunshine, you learned your trade from a few masters I suspect and it pays off. We could all take a lesson or two from you.
Of course a lot depends on the type of rain, where and when and the time of year but, I will still say in general it has a good effect.
As to air pressure, I could produce similar comparisons with my rain figures. Low is best, below 1000m pressure is extremely good generally and 1030m+, a bit deadly but, again its a matter of degree on the species, and other factors might outweigh the high pressure and fish will still feed.
However, low usually denotes rain, storms, overcast skies; is it this or the actual low pressure that has the desired effect. I have never made up my mind on that one. But, reading that sea trout and salmon can shoal up and prepare to run up a river when a low pressure is on its way but, not actually there, makes me suspect that at least these fish can detect actual pressure, even when it is only on its way, could be sixth sense that we do not understand and ordinary coarse fish could have that as well. Who knows and some mysteries should remain so.

Last edited: