extreme disruption

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
Yesterday at the lake I fish at, two men were cutting up a large tree that came down a few weeks ago. It fell straight into the lakeoff the island where there are usually carp in their numbers.

They were using a chainsaw and rowing backwards and forwards loaded up with the logs and branches.

Needless to say I blanked. lol

The tree is now in a pile on the bank and I suppose today they will be sawing it up to take away on a lorry.

What do you think the effect on the fish, and the fishing will be ?

F

Frothey

was the tree a "snag tree" before? if not, it probably wont affect the fishing at all. if it was a hideaway for the fish, they'll still visit the area butmay nothold up there anymore.

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
Thanks Frothey,

It wasn't a 'snag tree' but it was right next to a willow which is a good holding area for the carp.

I was wondering because people complain about knocking pegs and poles in on the bank, and the vibrations this causes. Thought after yesterday, and what will be going on over the next couple of days that all the fish would be jibbering wrecks.

F

Frothey

doubt it - carp are inquisitive creatures, the noise probably attracted them!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"the noise probably attracted them!"

Carp certainly seem to be attracted to the sound of a heavy feeder, or the abominal 'bagging waggler' don't they?

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
Thought it would have probably frightened the you know what out of em. And they might give the area a wide birth, at least for a while. There's a difference between a bagging waggler and a chainsaw lol.

F

Frothey

how does the fish know that? normally its sudden noises/movement that spooks fish - a constant drone doesn't seem to worry them - ask anyone that fishes Farlows /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

must go back thereand do some piking soon if I can hack the noise

F

Frothey

used to watch the planes going in and out of heathrow - amazing how close they land and take off!

C

Cakey

what with them and the M25 and the smell dunno why I go there /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Farlows is only marginally worse though than Broadlands with the damn M27 behind your bivvy.

I never realised how much traffic there was on that road in the early hours of the morning, it is a constant drone in the background.
(and it interferes with the reception on the TV - nah, only joking)

Shame really as it is the nearest semi-decent venue to me.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
The only thing that will have an effect on the Carp will be the fine layer of Oil on the water surface caused by the chain saw. Most Arborialists (me)use a "green" chain oil that does very little damage if any. I doubt very much if the noise will cause any stress and the oil will disperse with wave action and such like.

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
Hiya trev, alright ?

been down the lake a couple of times since Wednesday, and your'e all correct (as usual). Had 2 good days, catching with one of those maggot clips that you suggested trev. I used either a big fat worm or pieces of mussel meatand a pva bag stuffed with chopped mussels, hemp and sweetcorn.

The chainsaw obviously didn't get to the fish, but it made me want to find a little corner very far away /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Philip

Reaction score
Not sure about after the trees/snags are gone but I can think of several situations were an extreme disruption seems to have attracted the carp. Classic situation is jet skiers. Roaring round and round in one spot and the take comes to the rod right under them…seen that happen more than once..

I also fished a couple of really big lakes were the hotspot was the swimming area…all those people thrashing about must have acted like a giantrake... biggest problem was getting the hook in the fish rather than the swimmers.../forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Didn’t Lee Jackson write something about firing in floating baits to get Gulls diving into the water to stir it up a bit.