maggots

chrissh

Reaction score
when I first started fishing I was told not to use burst maggot or is this just a myth

when hooking maggot if one bursts do leave it on the hook or discard it
I always discard and put a new maggot on the hook

would a burst maggot give off a scent

B

binka

I always discard a burst maggot, it's a good point about the scent but a burst maggot to me is too much like a semi-mullered maggot and different to the loose feed that's going in.

For no apparent reason I don't mind burst maggots when fishing a bunch :confused:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I always discard a burst maggot, it's a good point about the scent but a burst maggot to me is too much like a semi-mullered maggot and different to the loose feed that's going in.

For no apparent reason I don't mind burst maggots when fishing a bunch :confused:

Snap, same as me :D.

laguna

Reaction score
Yes just hook it lightly by the skin of its arse!

Unlike chopped worm which are full of amino acids, a burst/injured maggot excretes ammonia and will deter fish.

pf0x

Reaction score
I've thought about the 'scent' factor but I think you want it to match your loose feed rather than stand out and look 'wrong'?

But aren't dead maggots a deadly method? :confused:

Are we hooking them in the blunt end? Is that their 'behind'?

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Want it as alive and wriggly as possible. If it is already mortally wounded before casting out, then i would change it. Fine wire barbless hooks are probably best for high life expectancy of the little wrigglers.