Your ideal fishing job

Lord Paul

Reaction score
If you could do any job the fishing industry and guarantee that it would pay you enough money to live comfortably from what would it be?

As I see it, most would have some drawback

Professional guide - you'd have to put up with some obnoxious types from time to time and it would limit your own fishing time.

Tackle shop owner - you're in the shop all day 6 days a week and can only fish 1 day a week

Angling writer for the weekly/monthly press - you need to come up with an article for the deadlines.

Writer of angling books - you would spend a more time writing than fishing

Professional match angler - you'd spend a lot of time promoting sponsors gear at roadshows, travelling to matches.

Fishery owner - again more time spent looking after the fishery and customers than fishing.

B

Bully

Picture used many times before - but my perfect job would be this ladies permanent ghillie.....
bass_fishing.jpg

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I'd do that job for free!!!!!!!!!

Nice to see her again /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Geoff Brown

Reaction score
That's easy, any mundane sausage factory 9-5 type job that requires none of my brain power. Packaging tackle,stickering items, that kind of thing.You don't take the job home with you, 5pm, job done! Bliss!

Felix.

Reaction score
How about designing the tackle you and others would use. Finally you can design a rod thats perfect, and create tackle that makes fishing effortless.

And then you would have to test the products, on a lake or river of course, and get paid for doing so.

C

Colin North, the one and only

Good one Wobbly......Wholesale buyer, where you get to travel to the far East, to buy bulk stuff, especially when you have half a dozen Companies all after your business. There is little they would not do to get it. Oh, the debauchery of it all, if you are so inclined.

S

Sean Meeghan

I'd combine writing and guiding. Unfortunately in the real world there's not enough money in either.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I would never want to make a living out of fishing. It wouldn't be the same, would it?

Angling is my hobby, my pastime, how I have fun and unwind after work.

Making a few bob from the odd magazine article is one thing, but having to rely on that sort of thing to make a living - never.

Reaction score
I totally agree with Ron,

I leave work and then go fishing...

One thought occurs though... any of us could have done a better job than Robson Green.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Fishery owner for sure, a quality lake or two, one for specimen fish - large carp (that's what brings the money in) tench etc... and one for roach, crucians, perch, rudd and the like.

It would be such an area of beauty and relaxation that anglers would come from far and wide; my income would be sufficient to hire a fishery manager allowing me to sneak off fishing at least 4 days a week.

Maybe Robson Green could be that fishery manager - it might attract more lady anglers /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

B

Bully

"Tackle reviewer.
Have to go fishing to test the tackle, spend 5 minutes writing up review to say good or bad."

Ask the ex Editor, who has made a living on it!!/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Fishery designer...like the blokes that design golf courses.You provide the land and I design you your perfect fishery taking into account what species you want,how you like to fish and how you want it to look.Just think...your own exclusive pond full of specimen gudjin.

For this I would charge a massive fee plus the right to fish it with a guest whenever I like for the rest of my life .I might also offer a variable discount in return for prospecting rights of any eligible daughters.

Dream on.

Philip

Reaction score
Always thought someone like Ian Welch had a hard but rewarding job.

Yes I am with Paul. Fishery owner…and note I said <u>owner</u> not fishery manager. I would love to create my own idea of the perfect fishery. I think it would become a labour of love rather than simply “work”. Actually I have always thought about owning my own bit of water one day, I have spent my life looking for the perfect venue & found some fantastic places along the way but I think the only way it will ever be PERFECT is if I create it myself.

…Trouble is one of my criteria for perfection is no other anglers so I would go bust!

Donald Bain

Reaction score
My ieal job in Angling would have to be the Bailiff, I think that all the power over who can fish or not would be great!

Imagine checking the hooks, nets etc... of someone you don't like and then asking them to leave!

Trouble is, I'd soon get the sack!

Don

Henrik

Reaction score
So what I do? I am not imagining things, but living it...

I write occasionally to magazines, which is only a hobby for me (and pays some of ridiculously expensive gear). But my current job is an educator of professional fishing guides! It's quite nice, I have to be ahead of fishing techniques and trends so I do some fishing at work. Too bad there are way too many days at the office. But when it is called "a job" it always includes parts that are not always to our liking. But maybe I sometimes enjoy days when I don't have to go fishing?

Gary Newman

Reaction score
I'm lucky enough to make my living out of fishing, mainly through working for Angler's Mail, but to be honest in the end it becomes just like any other job, I'm still in the office most days. There are a few perks like going out photographing features during which i often get to do a bit of fishing myself, plus the odd overseas trip that i don't have to pay for.
Reviewing tackle isn't as great as it sound, to be honest i prefer to use the same gear that i have done for years and that i know i can rely on.
I also do some consultancy work for a tackle company, and enjoy that side of it, playing around with new products and coming up with ideas from scratch.
There aren't many people that make a decent living purely out of going fishing, probably 10 or less that i can think of.

Reaction score
Remember being told that only 5 people were able to make a full-time living out of fishing;

In no particular order - Alan Scotthorne, Des Taylor, Bob Nudd, John Wilson and Matt Hayes.

From what I understand this "living" must come from a wide range of differing activities - tackle dealing, product testing,product development, public appearence, journalism, guiding, t.v. production, pitching and developing ideas - strikes me that there isn't a huge amount of time to go fishing