New to fishing

scottm1976

Reaction score
Hi all,

Very new to fishing, my 8 year old wanted to start but I have no idea and extremely difficult to find any kind of basic lessons so having read a lot of articles, watched some You Tube videos and visited local tackle shop I am nervously taking him fishing next Monday.

I must admit I am very surprised how much I am enjoying reading up on what to do and how to get started, think I may even get myself a rod soon. We are starting off with basic coarse fishing at a local fishery just outside Swansea.

I am excited and so is my son, hoping for a good day and looking forward to learning more and time goes by.

I am open to any advice, helpful web pages, etc, will crack on reading through this forum which seems to be the best source of advice I have come across.

Thanks.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Hi Scott

Enjoy the Forum, most on here are a friendly and helpful bunch. Let us know how you (and more importantly your son!) get on.

Good luck

Stu

Last edited:

scottm1976

Reaction score
Thanks, we are both looking forward to next Monday and learning more about fishing in general.

fruitowl

Reaction score
Have a chat with the fishery owner explain your situation most are more than willing to help and give advice some will even come round and give you helpful tips and advice.
As they say if you don't ask you don't get.
hope you both have a great day enjoy and tight lines :)

Keith M

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I hope you and your son have a great days fishing.

It's a brilliant sport/pastime to share with your son which can only get better the more you both learn and he'll always remember his days spent fishing with his dad; I do.

If there is anything we can do to help just ask, there are some great anglers on here who are always willing to advise you.

Tight lines

Keith

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
Hi Scott welcome to the weird and wonderful world of fishing. My dad took me fishing when I was that age and now It's me who takes him, puts him in the best swims, lets him catch all the big fish etc. Sort of;) Well he is in his 70's so I guess what goes around comes around as he had to be patient with me when I was young.

Patience is the key as tangles and the like will happen as will the possibility of boredom affecting the short attention span of someone so young. Keep it simple when you go and don't be put off asking advice off others. Some anglers like to keep to themselves but many more will be more than willing to help.

thecrow

Reaction score
Welcome to the world of angling Scott, I hope that you are aware that once the angling bug gets hold of you that there is no cure, some things like spending on new tackle will help with the illness but I am afraid its only a temporary fix, have a good day with your lad.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to FishingMagic

When taking a oyungster for the first few times it is best to take him to a venue where he is guaranteed to catch; a bored youngster rarely becomes a life-long angler.

Although it was many years ago now I took both my sons at about that age to the local river on swims I knew well so that they would always catch something.

I also tried to couple the fishing trip with some other means of keeping their attention, be it, some bird spotting or even wild flower or tree identification.

A decent packed lunch also helps turn the trip into a bit of a picnic and can take their minds off of maybe a blank period when their concentration wanders.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.