The end of summer

theartist

Reaction score
O.K. after one weekend where it finally dared to rain I'm already fed up of people saying we've had no summer or it's all over already.

The winds aside, the rain and clouds are more than welcome and it's plenty warm enough for me plus the rivers are moving at last so does anyone else just LOVE this weather?

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
O.K. after one weekend where it finally dared to rain I'm already fed up of people saying we've had no summer or it's all over already.

The winds aside, the rain and clouds are more than welcome and it's plenty warm enough for me plus the rivers are moving at last so does anyone else just LOVE this weather?

Nope we have had zero summer a few warm days thats it global warming my aunt fanny as like it is 9.5 degrees here at the moment in July is someone trying to be funny or WHAT ! there was sleet and snow in some parts yesterday what is going on

PG ..

john step

Reaction score

In a purely selfish angling sense I prefer this to hot and sunny. However if I was going on holiday I would't be so happy.
I am actually waiting for a dry slot to do some hill walking in the Lakes so my preferences are somewhat divided!!!

andy butler

Reaction score
Good to see rivers back to reasonable levels, but the wind annoys the ar$e of off me!!!

Apparently , according to the News, this has been the windiest year in the last 2 decades. My other hobby is flying model aircraft and I haven't been once this year due to work and the weather conspiring against me. Hence my return to the fishing fold. My father in law suggested it - he's fishing mad and I had forgotten how much I used to enjoy it. So I'm back - older and not a lot wiser :)

Keith M

Reaction score

It's nice when the rivers have a good flush out, far better than having low clear rivers for weeks on end; however I much prefer it when the rain falls overnight; consistent rain is not my favourite of conditions, I don't mind so much if it is only showering though.

It also thins out the fair weather angling brigade LOL...

Keith

wes79

Reaction score

Where I am the rain has now been frequent enough to be soaked up by the ground (which was dry and hard making small showers just wash over it) and thus allowed water to actually pass on into the rivers, its certainly helped my fishing, these regular top ups of water have kept the swims I'd say at close to optimum for this time of year, the first lot washed in lots of new sand onto the river bed and made things less snaggy for me (so more fishing confidence) the other rains have kept a little colour in the water and perhaps oxygenated the river system enough to help allow longer feeding times for both the Chub and Barbel around the weirs, that before were sluggish and getting shallower, but not enough to send trolley's, trees and motorbikes crashing through.
Temperature is a moot point in regards to the will to fish imho, If you love winter Piking and Chubbing be not bothered about a little July breeze, dress accordingly, if its wet, wear waterproofs, if a little chilly add a hoodie and eat some ginger to get the circulation going, my only beef would be more debris in the water (willow leaf etc etc) if the rain persists and not actually wanting to climb up or down places in the actual rain as its coming down simply for safety issues, apart from that, blessed be thy rain.

Last edited:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"eat some ginger to get the circulation going"
- New one on me. What's the "least bad" (in terms of calories and lard content) of portable ginger that won't actually blow one's head off?

Sorry, back on topic, I'm loving this weather, bright cloud with blue gaps in, temperature high teens/ very low twenties. Comfort and joy! (Though did need a hoodie as the light went last night).

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
Sorry, back on topic, I'm loving this weather, bright cloud with blue gaps in, temperature high teens/ very low twenties. Comfort and joy! (Though did need a hoodie as the light went last night).

You sure you don't want to go back to the start of the month, 22c at night, no sleep, discomfort and sweat! :D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I'm divided on the issue...Don't like extremely hot weather so current temps are fine. However, I went this morning from 5.30 and fished in constant N.W wind, which, TBH was damned cold and very unpleasant.
Of course, silly me had to fish into the stuff, so casting was a nightmare and the tea was long gone by 10.30...

Quite pleased to get home....

ps Don't mention catching...

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Very true S-Kippy...Unfortunately one doesn't expect to find days with such a cold, penetrating wind at the end of July, when thermals would not have been out of place.

Yesterday I sat facing a ( sort of ) westerly for some 6 hours and at times, even with an extra jumper and thickish jacket, I found myself shivering - at 10am !! I say westerly but at times it seemed as though it was coming from every direction.
Anyway, tomorrow is set to be very, very cold first thing so the thermals are out again.............how ridiculous !

greenie62

Reaction score
Quit bleating yer lot of softees! :D
This summer is ideal practice for when the real fishing starts - in Winter! :eek::eek:mg:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Quit bleating yer lot of softees! :D
This summer is ideal practice for when the real fishing starts - in Winter! :eek::eek:mg:

You can see why we lost an Empire-:)

Reminds me of this quote by Churchill:_

Churchill was woken by his secretary with the news that a back bench MP had been caught naked on Hamstead Heath, having sex with a Grenadier Guard. Churchill asked "wasn't it very cold last night"? Yes said the secretary , actually it was one of the coldest nights this year. "Doesn't it make you proud to be British"said Churchill

Last edited: