Specimen Fish

tincatim

Reaction score
Something I've been thinking about today, at what point does a fish become a specimen?

I had a 5lb chub which I think definitely counts but at what point does a fish turn from 'decent' or 'big' to 'specimen'?

I'm thinking when it weighs half of the record fish, eg barbel around 10-11lb, chub of 4.5lb, perch of 3lb. But does that work for all fish? Would a 1lb roach count as a specimen? Or a 20lb Carp?

What do you think?

thecrow

Reaction score
For me weight doesn't come into it, I always try to keep things in perspective with fish, a 12lb fish from a water where 9lb is the average is a big fish on other waters it isn't, more important to me now is the condition of the fish.

B

binka

If you look at species such as barbel and how they've increased their record weights over the last couple of decades and then compare those increases to, say those of roach and rudd, which haven't increased by anywhere vaguely near those proportions then I reckon the percentage game is a difficult one to balance fairly, especially as 20lb carp are really not that uncommon in my eyes yet a 2lb roach is far rarer.

I think it has to be species subjective and certainly a flexible and increasing threshold as time goes on relative to the species.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
All fish are specimens of their species by definition...

You can be asked to provide a specimen of pee, this could be a short squirt,
a dribble or a deluge...

terry m

Reaction score
Sometimes it is worth checking the minimum 'weighing in' size for your club trophies listed in he club book. Not only does that give you a decent guide as to what constitutes a specimen. It will also consider and reflect the specimen sizes in the waters you are fishing.

Keith M

Reaction score
I agree with thecrow, To me; a specimen sized fish is a fish that is large for the water it was caught in.

For example in a water where the average size of Tench was arond 3lb or 4lb-ish then I would deem a Tench of around 5lb or 6lb-ish or over a Specimen sized fish; but if I were fishing a water where 5lb or 6lb plus Tench where plentiful then I would call a 7lb or 8lb plus Tench a specimen.

So I would call anything that is large for the water I'm fishing a Specimen sized fish.

Keith

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Its a question with a dozen answers.One that can change with time and experience even.
I try to take a picture or two of fish that will give me recall of its capture. At times its a nice one of a net of not so big roach, rarely one single but bigger specimen, but both of equal esteem taken mostly by fishing in the way of my choosing on that particular day .
We can all gaze in wonder at an extra large specimen, something that I try to achieve in most of my fishing but overlooking the smaller ones can be the loss of a tremendoes amount of angling pleasure.
As mentioned earlier,perspectives of what is big and isnt can change with time and "success," what was once a specimen can be looked upon as less so.
Years ago I remember reading an article by a guy using the psuedanym of "Matthew Black" who was , if my memory is correct doing a supposed interview with a leading carp angler of the time.
He was looking thro some of his foto albums , one that was labelled " Twenties only - volume three" which may go some way to illustrate what I was trying to convey.
These days on a personal level I hesitate to take a pik of a Barbel that is a little over ten pounds- the only time I might is if its got two heads or there is snow on the ground!.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Agree with most of the above - one thing thought, whatever it's size, from whatever water, a snottie is never a specimen............;)

laguna

Reaction score
I would also consider a specimen fish to be above average weight and size to whatever's 'in there'.

Saying that, there's a fishery in Doncaster that has three lakes... carp lake, specimen lake and a match lake. Clearly Dave who owns it thinks those fish in the specimen lake are above average weight and size... but compared with/to what I don't know.

*Tim, According to the CSG a fish of 4lb is a specimen

Ps I behold (and hold up) a 1lb roach as I would a 20lb carp!

Last edited:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Much in line with the above replies, ''Where you are fishing, and what the water has produced in the past can be considered a yardstick''.

Years ago many of us carried a camera for those occasions when a specimen came to the net. Nowadays it's the condition of the fish caught that determines whether a picture is taken or not, not just the weight of the fish, at least for me. Pristine has replaced weight.

flightliner

Reaction score
Agree with most of the above - one thing thought, whatever it's size, from whatever water, a snottie is never a specimen............;)

Jerry, I know your feelings about Bream but moving to live close to the river Nene gives me hope that one day you will have a complete change of heart:eek:.

tincatim

Reaction score
Some fine answers there chaps and I'd agree with most of them. It's interesting to hear people's takes on what makes a specimen fish.
I'm in agreement with the quality of the fish idea. I often take photos of fish that aren't big in weight but in pristine condition. This for example was around 7lb but far better looking than my biggest carp of 19lb.

2hgy58n.jpg

Like many of you have said, it depends on what's in the water, and also for me what I've caught before. A 1lb roach is a specimen fish for me, and quite rare in my catches. A 2lb roach would be a fish of a lifetime. At least where I fish, maybe not so on other waters.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
As the phrase originally came from 'glass case specimen' i.e. a fish big enough to justify the considerable expense of having it stuffed, it's not just a good fish for the water. A 4oz roach might be a fish of a lifetime from the Sludgethorpe Canal but would look silly in a glass case so there was a general acceptance of what constituted specimen size. A 2lb roach was often a fish of a lifetime and therefore justified setting up; very occasionally you would find a roach just short of this weight set up. With other species it varied more, especially with carp where a 5lber was a rare and exceptional fish 100 years ago.

Of the fish I'm likely to catch nowadays I regard a 5lb chub, 10 oz dace (I wish just lately!) or 2lb roach as specimens but happy to catch smaller ones.

rubio

Reaction score
We're starting to get a reference list together it seems. Hardly likely to end in full agreement but I find it interesting to speculate. I've never caught a fish so big I thought everyone else should hear about it. Or indeed so very big NO-ONE should ever hear about it. I still hope for a 2lb roach. I still like anything smaller as do most of us I'm sure. I even managed to admire my 1lb 15 oz fish (weighed 3 times, but wouldn't get any heavier) even tho I was looking for the ounce that wasn't there.
Given my lack of prowess in the specimen field I don't think I can suggest what others might use as a standard. I would like a suggestion as a target for Gudgeon. Can't be above 2 ozs. Or do you know better?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
OK, time to be specific about weights of fish. What follows are my own specific weights within my own field, which are predators.

Pike, anything twenty five pounds or over.

Perch, anything three pounds plus.

Zander, anything thirteen pounds plus.

Chub, I have always felt ''and still do'' that a six pounder is a specimen.

And if the above targets are in good nick, then that's the icing on the cake.

Now over to the Carp and Barbel guys etc.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Given my lack of prowess in the specimen field I don't think I can suggest what others might use as a standard. I would like a suggestion as a target for Gudgeon. Can't be above 2 ozs. Or do you know better?

Seeing the UK rod caught record gudgeon is 5oz I'd say a 4oz+ would be a specimen.

bracket

Reaction score
I also go along with The Crow on this one. It is all relative to the venue. If I am fortunate enough to catch a better than average sample, I don't wet my knickers telling myself I have bagged a "Specimen". I just give it a good looking at, make the comment "Now that's a better stamp" and carry on catching a few more. Pete.