Grubby Landing Net

a_d_angler91

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Just wanting to pick all your brains for ideas of how to best clean up my landing net that got completely ditched the last time i was out.

The lake i was fishing was quite scummy - but the real issue was all the mass of fluffy seeds floating about on the surface. These seeds were getting tangled up in my line for a past time which was a proper nuisance - but the problem i'm having is trying to clean off my landing net that has become clogged up with these seeds.

I've tried soaking it - rinsing it - hanging it out, but they will not clean off!

Q1- Any ideas what these seeds are from? It was May/June time when this happened. Thouht it might be from rushes - can't say i spotted that many rushes plants though. The only other possibility is that the lake was surrounded by willow trees - i just didn't think the catkins from willows would have this sort of effect.

Q2 - How else do you suggest i try to clean off my net? It has improved slightly after the several different attempts - but there is still a fair amount still wrapped around all the net material.

Any input would be gratefully received.

Cheers then.

AD

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The solution may well depend upon your marital status, as follows:

1. If single shove it in the washing machine a few times. If it clogs the thing up then claim on your home insurance.

2. If married then its likely the wife will not allow that, so, take it into the garden and bash it against a wall or path and follow up with a nice wash in a large bucket, and leave to dry in the sun

The alternative solution might well be to go and buy yourself a new larger landing net; you know you want one really . . . . . .

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
It comes from Willow trees and is a pain when it clogs up the top rings of your rod. It's incredibly fibrous and the fibres have little barbs, I got some in my eye once and had to have it removed by surgeon...

The bad one

Reaction score
As Peter C say it's willow seed and from the female of the species. Try scrubbing it dry with a very stiff brush. A Deck Scrub brush may do it.

wes79

Reaction score
Get the hoover on it when its dry as a bone and use a small stiff tile brush or as said above using a decking brush to dislodge the majority of the bits clinging in the net.

Takes a few minutes and a little elbow grease but it should work.

hope this helps :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
It comes from Willow trees and is a pain when it clogs up the top rings of your rod. It's incredibly fibrous and the fibres have little barbs, I got some in my eye once and had to have it removed by surgeon...

What ....your eye ? :eek: Handy for pirate parties I guess.

Willow fluff is almost as big a pain as leaves in the autumn. I hate both seasons.

a_d_angler91

Reaction score
Hey guys - thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

As it turned out, I managed to sort it out before i got round to viewing any of your suggestions. I'd left the net to dry out long enough for the willow seed to practically fall off when i rinsed it off before my last trip.

I will be sure to try out all the mehods you've suggested should I have this problem again. I'm also glad I'm not the only one who has had so much trouble with willow seeds getting hanged up in my line, rod eyes and landing net.

Cheers