Burbot?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, but only in Norway, usually when ice fishing where they are a very good fish for eating

As for reintroduction?

No, not really, I reckon we have enough whiskery things in our rivers . . . . . . and enough piscivors too

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Would it be a worthwhile exercise? There must be a reason/s for their extinction in the first place.

I'd like to catch one out of curiosity but not sure about reintroduction. If the otters mistook them for hippy barbel, they'd be in trouble all over again, wouldn't they? Poor blighters. :)

wes79

Reaction score
I'm not very knowledgeable about this fish but have been doing some reading after a mate of mine mentioned them.

Is it possible that with the Burbot becoming virtually extinct an ecological variable that helped keep a healthy natural balance was lost with it?
(BBC states: Last year WWF produced a report showing that since the 60s the total number of animals (Burbot) living on the planet has now halved).

Strikingly beautiful looking fish I have to say (imo), something like a strange three way hybrid marriage between a Stone loach on steroids, Cod and a Grayling, with quite a bit of historical mystery attached to it.
Does make you wonder if reintroduction is setting the fish up for failure again though, I agree if the earth is warming as we are being told then this doesn't favour the Burbot that likes deep cold waters, especially for spawning.

The fish makes a sudden, unexpected upward movement with its tail and the fishermen hear a loud splash . . . they all put out their hands, but it is too late; they have seen the last of the burbot.

The Burbot,
Anton Chekhov

Last edited:

wes79

Reaction score
Last edited:
B

binka

cheers Binka! Will give it a watch now.
:)

Apologies, didn't know (or check search) there was another recent Burbot thread.

Hey no worries mate, the more the merrier as they say and I hope you find it interesting listening :)

laguna

Reaction score
If it can coexist and benefit (or improve) an ecosystem then yes. What does it eat?

---------- Post added at 20:55 ---------- Previous post was at 20:23 ----------

Never mind Ive just found out.... it eats everything in sight! Similar in some ways to what pike will feed on including any fish of a similar size. According to what I've just read, it makes good eating and its liver is highly prized for its oil - more than any other species of fish in the world.

lets start farming Burbot and do away of the ecologically unsustainable Salmon!

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
See it now, upcoming threads:

What's the best Burbot Rod, Reel, Line, Rig, Bait.

Keep nets for Burbot.........................or not!

And finally the "Burbot Society" and "Burbot Wars"

Deja Vu:wh:eek:mg:

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I would support reintroducing Burbot. Anything that could get a freshwater fish on the conservationist agenda would be good. Maybe even the RSPB would recognise that fish as well as birds or, dare i say, otters are worth conserving or promoting.

I doubt they would ever get much attention from anglers. A beginners version of catfish angling perhaps. In the same way that the best Barbel anglers served an apprenticeship chasing Gudgeon.

Windy

Reaction score

I take great exception to your remarks about the Burbot Society and will from now on spend every waking hour tracing, traducing and trolling any and every post you make on the interweb from now until my last breath, regardless of any justification, logic or rational reason to do so.

Nor will I explain my grievance or the reason for my fury and anger (even or especially if I am asked to explain). It's just the way it is and we are from now on mortal enemies. :mad:

Last edited:

wes79

Reaction score
Hey no worries mate, the more the merrier as they say and I hope you find it interesting listening :)

Enjoyed it mate, I've sent the link to a fisherman friend who mentioned he would like to see them reintroduced, hope to get some feedback from him, I was ignorant of this species till only a few weeks ago and couldn't really debate the topic properly, he must of been dissapointed.
Some pretty good arguments for reintroduction presented towards the end of the program, strangely my Burbot empathy dissipated when I heard one being seered in oil, got me a bit peckish when it was mentioned Burbot tastes not unlike Cod, I love battered Cod with salt and lemon juice on so would probably enjoy eating Burbot :D :eek:mg:
I wasnt aware they still thrive in some colder countries so at least there is still perhaps a reasonable gene pool to select from.

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:16 ----------

:D Burbot pebble rig? Shimano Burbotinator 2lb tc with 20mm Halibut pellet :p

See it now, upcoming threads:

What's the best Burbot Rod, Reel, Line, Rig, Bait.

Keep nets for Burbot.........................or not!

Deja Vu:wh:eek:mg:

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm quite concerned that no one has formalised a burbot handling code yet. How on earth will anyone know what to do with one if they catch one? Surely all this talk of rigs and tackle is putting the cart before the horse.;):wh

wes79

Reaction score
I'm quite concerned that no one has formalised a burbot handling code yet. How on earth will anyone know what to do with one if they catch one? Surely all this talk of rigs and tackle is putting the cart before the horse.;):wh

The Burbot Society have covered it mate, YT vids with summer influenced accoustic guitar music in the back ground with informative monotone instructions.....on how to fillet them (if you handled them wrong or took to many pics of your catch for anglers mail might as well bag yourself a bargain), this is why you need the BURBOT COOKBOOK available from your local /delicatessen/shop/sklep and society members get signed copies from agm auction/raffle.

Last edited:

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I take great exception to your remarks about the Burbot Society and will from now on spend every waking hour tracing, traducing and trolling any and every post you make on the interweb from now until my last breath, regardless of any justification, logic or rational reason to do so.

Nor will I explain my grievance or the reason for my fury and anger (even or especially if I am asked to explain). It's just the way it is and we are from now on mortal enemies.

You'll have to get up early in the morning to catch me out Windy ;)

And who else is going to net your pet Brownie?:D

laguna

Reaction score
Does make you wonder if reintroduction is setting the fish up for failure again though, I agree if the earth is warming as we are being told then this doesn't favour the Burbot that likes deep cold waters, especially for spawning.
Maybe Lake Windermere (over 200ft deep) could support them? Not sure how they would get on with the Arctic Char though!