Mink?

wes79

Reaction score
This is another Otter thread but specifically about the Mink.

I saw a Mink, what should I do about it?

Cheers and Beers

Last edited:

tincatim

Reaction score
Load up the air rifle?

Seriously though, I've seen a fair few mink roaming about the rivers Don and Dearne. Apparently there were people breeding them for fur nearby a few years back and some escaped leading to more in the wild and breeding.

I honestly don't mind them, they're quite cute looking and are interesting to see. Whether they seriously damage fish stocks, I don't know.

wes79

Reaction score
Save me starting another thread, what is the best riffle for shooting all the Mink I lay eyes on?
I'm a bit of a riffle newb, also what size landing net should I buy to scoop them out of the water?

cheers

(hope no one is taking me seriously).

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
....I honestly don't mind them, they're quite cute looking and are interesting to see. Whether they seriously damage fish stocks, I don't know.

The greedy little sods eat anything they can get at - including eggs and chicks from water fowl! :eek: My friend had his garden pond emptied twice by them after they had burrowed in - through the pond-liner - the water drained-out pdq!

The local Water Company has a problem with them 'mining' the banks of local reservoirs.
"What do you do about it?" asked the man from the council,
"Shoot the b*ggers!" replied the WC official,
"But we don't allow firearms to be discharged in Bolton!", objected the Council Officer, "Can't you trap them instead?",
"Aye - we do."
"Then what do you do with them?" asked the concerned Council Officer,
"Take 'em to t'other end of the reservoir - which is in Chorley - then we shoot the b*ggers!" replied the WC official.​

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The greedy little sods eat anything they can get at - including eggs and chicks from water fowl! :eek: My friend had his garden pond emptied twice by them after they had burrowed in - through the pond-liner - the water drained-out pdq!

The local Water Company has a problem with them 'mining' the banks of local reservoirs.
"What do you do about it?" asked the man from the council,
"Shoot the b*ggers!" replied the WC official,
"But we don't allow firearms to be discharged in Bolton!", objected the Council Officer, "Can't you trap them instead?",
"Aye - we do."
"Then what do you do with them?" asked the concerned Council Officer,
"Take 'em to t'other end of the reservoir - which is in Chorley - then we shoot the b*ggers!" replied the WC official.​

I think someones pulling your chain Mike, mink don't burrow at all. They're very similar to a ferret in size and habits but are excelent swimmers.

greenie62

Reaction score
I think someones pulling your chain Mike, mink don't burrow at all. They're very similar to a ferret in size and habits but are excelent swimmers.

I would refer my learned friend to the following:
As long as it is close to water, the American mink is not fussy over its choice of den. Mink dens typically consist of long burrows in river banks, holes under logs, tree stumps, or roots and hollow trees, though dens located in rock crevices, drains, and nooks under stone piles and bridges are occasionally selected. The burrows they dig themselves are typically about four inches in diameter and may continue along for 10–12 feet (300–370 cm) at a depth of 2–3 feet (61–91 cm). The American mink may nest in burrows dug previously by muskrats, badgers and skunks, and may also dig dens in old ant hills. The nesting chamber is located at the end of a four-inch tunnel, and is about a foot in diameter. It is warm, dry and lined with straw and feathers. The American mink's dens are characterized by a large number of entrances and twisting passages. The number of exits vary from one to eight

I guess you might suggest they don't burrow themselves - but sub-contract the heavy work to McAlpines or Murphy's! :D:eek:mg:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Here is a site that will frighten every angler Species alerts - GB non-native species secretariat I was looking for mink on there but Japanese carpet worm seems to be the next killer invader

---------- Post added at 13:45 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

Here is a site that will frighten every angler Species alerts - GB non-native species secretariat I was looking for mink on there but Japanese carpet worm seems to be the next killer invader

My understanding is that in Otter Vs Mink the otter wins http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2012/07/13/let-the-battle-commence-otters-stand-up-against-mink-invasion/

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would refer my learned friend to the following:

I guess you might suggest they don't burrow themselves - but sub-contract the heavy work to McAlpines or Murphy's! :D:eek:mg:

Don't beleive everything you read, mink will use old burrows made by other animals, chance of one even trying to dig out it's own burrow is next to none.
Internet is full of nonsense.

wes79

Reaction score
Specimen Mink Hunterz

Animal rights protesters release them to give Mink more rights and the Mink takes away all the rights to other animals including there right to live, so that didn't work out very well did it, no forward planning, it disturbed the balance books of nature, and here we are with a Mink thread.
Animal rights subject to status, Roach need not apply.

I have heard or read somewhere that Mink will kill much in the same way as a fox would if its natural prey was found in great numbers localised, not so much killing out of hunger just killing purely because it can, mad eh?

I think a stuffed Mink or two might do well on the Sunday car boot though, how much would you pay for a stuffed Mink (in relative good nick etc)?

Last edited:

robertroach

Reaction score
I have seen them on the Hants Avon, Dorset Stour and one or two nearby gravel pits, but only rarely.
There has been a lot of talk about all the harm they can do but I think it is exaggerated. Our Winters are too cold for them to thrive even though they always wear a fur coat.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have seen them on the Hants Avon, Dorset Stour and one or two nearby gravel pits, but only rarely.
There has been a lot of talk about all the harm they can do but I think it is exaggerated. Our Winters are too cold for them to thrive even though they always wear a fur coat.

Our winters arn't too cold for them at all ! They thrive in our climate.

Unless people know how to set traps correctly so as to only catch the mink they shouldn't bother, they'll kill more creatures than the mink do. Best for most people (if they're adamant to try and bump mink off) to use live catchers (cage traps) but check them at least once a day, preferably more !

B

binka

I was once trapped by a mink along a flood bank where it met the waters edge on the River Soar near Kegworth and where it was too sheer to climb up to escape, this was back in the mid-nineties and despite my waving of my landing net pole and banging the end of it on the ground right in front of it there was no scaring the silky damn thing and it casually strolled off of its own accord.

More recently my sister has had them on her narrowboat on summer evenings when they've gone to bed with the cabin doors open as have other boaters where they are moored in Staffordshire.

Only the other week when Sam Vimes and I were fishing in Nottinghamshire a mink fairly casually swam across the river right in front of us, probably no more than thirty yards or so downriver.

The damn things are very wide spread and not shy with it.

greenie62

Reaction score
Don't beleive everything you read, mink will use old burrows made by other animals, chance of one even trying to dig out it's own burrow is next to none.
Internet is full of nonsense.

:D The mink thank the moles and voles personally for their tunnelling efforts - by killing & eating the poor little blighters! :eek::eek:mg:

I have read and noted your Internet-sent opinions on the burrowing abilities of the mink! ;):D:eek:mg::wh
Cheers Tigger :thumbs:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
how much would you pay for a stuffed Mink (in relative good nick etc)?

No idea, but my (then) wife's full length coat back in the early 90's cost over five grand . . . . . . so many around a few hundred quid for a stuffed version?

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
I had a mink drop in by my feet whilst dangling them in the water as a lad (they been round here for as long as I could remember) came out with a signal cray. Ten minutes later did the same thing so I walked round to block it's exit as it battled through a nettlebed like a dog with a stick. It just dropped it at my feet and stood there looking at me. Wouldn't back off.

It's good that they take Signals but the Water Vole and Water Rail soon dissapeared from there which is sad.

On that recent documentary in Ireland the narrator said all the ground breeding birds had been wiped out by them and there's also an amazing film of two Kingfisher fighting in the water that gets ended oh so abruptly by a mink. Another mess up by the do gooders

P

pointngo

Had one walk across my feet as I sat looking at the water one evening. I jumped like a little girl but it didn't even break stride, even though my jump sent him in the air.

I used to see a lot of mink as a kid fishing the Severn but I've only seen a handful in the last 10 -15 years. There seems to be less of them nowadays to me.

There's a lot more otters around though and I've seen the damage they can do to pike stocks.. they kill pike for fun/practice as they dive on them when they're laying on the bottom. In the last couple of years they've ruined a lovely stretch of the Kennett I (used to) fish.

A mate of mine down Salisbury way has had his local lake decimated by a pair of otters, and he says they swim right up to you in broad daylight!.. Not sure if otter biologists/animal behaviourists (is that a word?) and supporters of re-introduction even considered that would happen.