new to fishing... please help!

saminleo

Reaction score
hi all,
my name is samin... im from west London i have wanted to start fishing for couple of years finally after trying some fishing in Holland i brought 2 fishing rods with many other little things (not sure what they are called)
my cousin is coming from Germany and wants to go fishing, to be honest i want to cook the fish that i catch (if we catch any xD) the problem is iam not sure where to go, transport is not a issue and i can drive all over the UK wouldn't mind to spend few nights away....
i also dont mind the type of fishing as long as there is fish to catch and is edible.
would really really appreciate anyone that can point me in the right direct
many thanks!

john step

Reaction score
Generally in the UK its a NO NO to kill and eat what is called coarse fish. These are the normal fish found in most rivers and lakes.
Most fishing is controlled by clubs or accessed by a daily ticket and these owners specify no fish to be removed.
To do so is theft.
In other words fishing is a sport/hobby/pastime.
A licence is bought from a post office.
There has been much animosity and trouble over the last few years caused by new comers to the UK flouting this tradition.
There are initiatives run by the Angling Trust/Environment Agency to educate and to prosecute offenders.

The other alternative is to fish for trout with a fly rod. Trout can be taken for eating from day tickets waters subject to a PAID FOR limit.

You can take most sea fish for eating without a licence.

The above may sound strange to some cultures but that is the way it is.

If you are keen to start fishing, there is a wealth of literature available for beginners as well as videos and clips on You Tube.

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
Hi Samin, John is right please don't take fish for the table. The West London area suffers badly from this and also you will find trout hard to find in these parts. In some places you will find coarse fish hard to find too because of too many being taken. Catch and release is the way forward as the rivers round there cannot support the huge population if we all took fish.

P.s Oestragen in the water makes it not very healthy either.

retrobob

Reaction score
Enjoy fishing yes - taking for the table no, not in this country otherwise there would be no fish left to catch.

Your only hope is fly fishing on stocked trout lakes, generally you can take maybe up to 3 fish depending on the rules but you have to fill in a catch report so they can replace them at some point.

saminleo

Reaction score
firstly i want to thank everyone for replying!
it looks like sea fishing is my only option to catch and eat...
the only issue is that i do not own a boat, so can someone please point me in the right direct... do i hire a boat, go to some kind of a pier or something else???
again thank you for all your replies @john_step @theartist @retrobob
!!!

john step

Reaction score
firstly i want to thank everyone for replying!
it looks like sea fishing is my only option to catch and eat...
the only issue is that i do not own a boat, so can someone please point me in the right direct... do i hire a boat, go to some kind of a pier or something else???
again thank you for all your replies @john_step @theartist @retrobob
!!!

Saminleo, I think the easiest place to sea fish from West London is at
Southend on Sea. There is the worlds longest pleasure pier at 1 1/4 miles long where you can fish.
Why not take a day out to see it . There is even a train that runs the length of it. There is lots of parking along the front.
It is noted for flounder and plaice and I have seen bass caught there. There is probably a size limit for bass.
Have a look at other anglers tackle as to what is needed.
Pier fishing tackle requirement is fairly minimal.