Anglers Mail Accused Of Inaccurate Reporting

P

Paul Williams

The mail this week discribes how the lad "fluked" the fish.......well i've fluked a few fish too but if they are PB's i would still count them!.....for crying out loud the lad was fishing how the hell did he fluke it!?........Richard you are right, in their haste to get one over on the AT they are bringing the sport down, but i might not ever agree with you again Richard! ;)

P

Peter Morton

I can only repeat my comments from the thread "Perch Record Broken" which were as follows........
Just goes to show how differently a story can be reported in two different papers!!!!!!

Tuesday(9th) Angling Times with a front page photo and virtually the whole of pages 2-3, leads on the story of a young lad (Dean Rawlings) who has caught the potential new record perch.They had obviously put a bit of effort into it with Photo's and interviews with the captor & his father also comments from a couple of well respected perch anglers (Steve Burke & Martin Bowler)

They also did not name the water after being asked not to by the owner,for fear of the venue being inundated with people intent on catching a record.(Well done Richard Lee)

Contrast this with the Anglers Mail (Wed 9th)Tucked away at the bottom of pages 4-5 is a piece about the capture that appears to cast doubt on the weight of this fish.No photo,no interview and to top it all the name of the venue along with the phone number of the fishery.

This to my mind seems to have been done in a fit of jealousy as the Times obviously beat the Mail to the story.
This is Tabloid journalism at it's worst and does the Mail no credit at all.

Peter.

M

Martin Wright

This whole episode is a typical example of the silly and childish 'infighting' that does our sport such an dis-service.

Both AT and AM have been around for a long time now - why can't they just get on - at least professionally?

It's a great storey - a young lad catching a record fish - which has now been spoiled by the grubby antics of tabloid journalism.

The days when I was a young lad waiting with excitment for AM to arrive on a wednesday morning with my mum and dads' paper are long gone.

steve taylor

Reaction score
The both of you are behaving like children in the playground. It is not what I want to see when I buy AT & AM every week. Angling is facing enough external pressures: loony lefties banning angling, gender bending pollution, over trawling of inshore waters etc. the list is endless! So pack it in or stop playing at being a journalist and leave it to the big boys!

M

Mark Birchall

I have not read the AT version of the story but AM does appear to be a tad bitter about not getting the exclusive to the story, I can't see how Dean Rawlings fluked it he was fishing with a baited hook!!!!!!!.
He caught the fish fair and square and is intitled to claim the record as his if he decide's to.

C

Chris Bishop

What intrigued me was why Richard Lee chose FM forum to go on the attack.

L

Lee Fletcher

Dear All,

Like Chris, I to, am intrigued to know why an editor of a well known and widely circulated fishing weekly newspaper would choose the platform of a fishing website to launch an attack upon a professional rival.

One would assume, Richard could use his own editorial to do that.

My thoughts go out to the lad that caught the big perch, his family and the fishery owner involved.

The capture of a record sized fish is the stuff of dreams. For a young chap to catch one must be an increadible feeling. As Paul said, it matters not one jot if the capture was intentional or not. Would we all "fluke" a few now and again a little bit more. I have been around the big fish scene long enough to know that "flukes" make up a sizable proportion of our captures if the truth was told more often.

I am very sadened by this young lads capture now receiving the sort of negative attention it is doing. Just how the hell are we to encourage more youngsters into our sport if the sports press engage in this sort of thing.

Regards,

Lee.

C

Colyn Nelson

good luck to the lad in question for catching a fish that will be hard to beat as for A.M.Iwas looking for a reason not to buy it . Thank you A.M. you have just saved me a quid a week.

C

Cheese Paste

If you have problems with the weeklies, I think this week has been an example of a reason why not to buy either AT or AM. Both are just slow-selling profit making entities trying to make cash with 'A' Level journalism. Just logon to this site to see a fair and justfied approach to all things fishing.

If I'm honest I buy one week and one the other. I just love fishing, cut the competiton and chill out, most of all, enjoy catching fish.

G

Gerry Castles

Neither publication is beyond creating a controversial moment to sell to what I suspect is an ever decreasing number of regular buyers. The Des Taylor summer pike and pike fly fishing sagas are a case in point. Letting the issue boil over onto this website (and I suspect several others) will induce a wider audience to go buy AT and AM next week if only out of curiosity. I smell a scam. Perhaps one of the glossy monthly mags will pick this story up and give the kid the applause he deserves.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Perch record holder in waiting Dean and his dad were on Talk Sport talking to Keith this morning. He sounded like a grand lad and Keith told him we'd been talking about him on FM. The lad said he was just off fishing for carp with the new rod he'd had off AT. He was as pleased as punch.

I think it's bloody great that we have this 'boy's own adventure' record and not a claim from a known 'bounty hunter'.

This is the kind of story that gives everybody inspiration and lets us all know that, no matter how remote the possibility, we all have a chance of realising a dream.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
To be fair Gerry, AT DID give the lad the applause he deserved, as well as a rod and reel.

It's turned somewhat sour since then.

R

Richard Barrell

I feel that instead of us all taking side as to who or what we believe: we should all give a large pat on the back, to young Dean
for not only landing this perch; but in his sheer delight when telling how he had caught it, when he was talking to Keith this morning.

M

Malcolm Smith

If the water was open, then I cannot see why the venue cannot be named. As this seems to be private water then the A/M has
been very intrusive.

I congratulate the lad for the achievement.

I also applaude the A/T for the encouragement , by giving the young angler a new rod and reel.

M

Malcolm Smith

I congratulate the young angler for his moment of glory, maybe one day I will have a new record.

As the venue seems to have been private waters the the A/M should not have named it.

I applaude the A/T for rewarding the young angler for his achievement and long mat it continue.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The water isn't private, it's a small day-ticket water.

W

Willie John Russell

Well done Dean Rawlings on the 'capture' of such a beautiful specimen. The honour is yours and long may you enjoy it.

I had drafted a response to the 'gutter-press' scribblings I have read this week, but it seems like I would only be re-iterating the thoughts of other postees'(with whom I am in full agreement.)
However, I will say this in reply to the 'AM' article; the fact that the owners of this fishery leave out envelopes to collect dayticket fees is based on the honesty and trust of visiting anglers, two ingredients sadly lacking in present day society and two words which this publication, clearly, could not define without reference to a dictionary. Why,therefore,should they be derided for it?

Phew! that's that off my chest, and another pound saved.

McWallet, it's only a suggestion, but how about giving the lad a free subscription to a decent monthly 'read', or could that be classed as 'inducment'. Just a thought.

Once again, 'Well done that man'.

P

Paul Williams

Personally i'm not bothered if the water is named or not there are hundreds like it up and down the country the part that got me was the tone of the AM towards the lad, as Graham so says it's a "boys own adventure".........well i for one aint to old for them yet and i hope i never am, this should live in the lads mind forever i know it would mine.

R

Reg Rollins

Great fish and well done to the lad. As far as not revealing the venue I think that they are rite as such a small venue would get hammered by the small minded people who just want a trophy sad are they not