I lost my EE virginity !

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I was walking along the canal for about quarter of a mile on Tuesday and passed the only other angler there. I stopped and asked him how he was doing. Turned out he was foreign and did not understand English. he said "long fish" and I said "eel" to which he replied, "ya ya eel" and then he proceeded to get his phone out and show me a picture of a nice fish, I said "roach" and he said " ya ya roach". I bid him good luck and walked on.
Then I suddenly thought he is probably a EE and I wondered if he had a licence or if he was fishing in the club stretch of this canal. Then I thought whether I should report it and then I thought, I do not really care if he has a licence or where he was fishing and why should I ruin my day and his, I was just happy starting my fishing on a lovely day in some beautiful countryside as was he and he seemed very happy as well; a pleasant bloke who I passed the time of day with and was eager to show me what he had caught. Why ruin both our little worlds and good luck to him?

Last edited:

tincatim

Reaction score
He might have been "guesting" then ;) and fishing without an EA licence? something I haven't purchased this season.

Just interested, how come you haven't got a licence? Have you not been fishing yet or are you against it?

---------- Post added at 13:14 ---------- Previous post was at 13:11 ----------

They're not all bad, even EEs have a right to enjoy a days fishing! Controversial I know :eek: if he'd taken a picture to show you then that's gotta be better than him pulling it out of his pocket dead.

thecrow

Reaction score
Just interested, how come you haven't got a licence? Have you not been fishing yet or are you against it?

I have purchased 2 full licences this season for my sons, I haven't got one for myself as I haven't been able to get out yet this season (I only fish rivers) due to my health not being to good.Hopefully I wont miss a complete season.

Yes I am against paying for a rod licence and always will be as long as the money goes to a government department that has an agender that is not entirely fishing focused.

tincatim

Reaction score
Fair enough, I was just curious.

I still find it strange that we have to buy a licence for fishing, guns and driving I can understand due to the risk assessment element but why angling? Its just a way to raise money for the EA, which I don't really object to if they spend it on fish stocking, habitat protection and the like. I wonder how much of the licence revenue actually goes towards these things and how much goes elsewhere?

bennygesserit

Reaction score

I still find it strange that we have to buy a licence for fishing, guns and driving I can understand due to the risk assessment element but why angling? Its just a way to raise money for the EA, which I don't really object to if they spend it on fish stocking, habitat protection and the like. I wonder how much of the licence revenue actually goes towards these things and how much goes elsewhere?

be careful when fishing you might catch something !

no-one in particular

Reaction score

I do sometimes wonder if they should call it for what it is, not a license but a angling tax on anglers and whether it should be considered an unfair tax as its just anglers that receive this special treatment. I certainly am not going to waste any of my life worrying or chasing anyone on the off chance they do not have one.
I do believe the EA spend money on angling issues but what proportion of that is from angling tax money, who knows.
I considered all the bad things that might have happened to that bloke if I had reported him and it was a long list which I would have felt very uncomfortable about. Along with the tax being unfair, the punishments are even more so. Doing right by the law and doing the right thing are not always the same.
I try to keep my own judgement, instincts and conscience in tack and not just blindly follow the law, the government, the EA or the AT directives. I appreciate this will not be a popular view and its just one small circumstance which does not represent the bigger picture but being true to myself is more important than being popular.

On a lighter note, if he had pulled a roach out of his pocket, I might have thought I had landed myself in a bad Cliff Hatten cartoon.:)

Last edited:
B

binka

I lost my EE virginity !

After sorting out a new mobile phone contract recently and the abbreviation "EE" springing to mind as my service provider earlier than the term Eastern European I honestly wondered what you had been doing with your mobile phone Mark :eek:

And...

I've just spent the best part of three hours trying to work out how to do the same with mine but all to no avail, I knew I should have read the thread before trying... :eek:mg:

:D

greenie62

Reaction score
....I've just spent the best part of three hours trying to work out how to do the same with mine but all to no avail, I knew I should have read the thread before trying... :eek:mg:
Hi Binka,
Try switching-off the ringer and just set it to vibrate - happiness guaranteed!
Just be careful you don't binka it! :D
Tight ....... Lines?:eek:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Hi Binka,
Try switching-off the ringer and just set it to vibrate - happiness guaranteed!
Just be careful you don't binka it! :D
Tight ....... Lines?:eek:

It or the phone?!:)

---------- Post added at 08:50 ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 ----------

Binka-watch EE or as it was formally Orange-I had a bad experience with thier accounting department last year although it was to do with their internet provider department, not their phone. I won my case but I have since switched to SKy which has been a big improvement and a lot lot cheaper.
Sorry if I have put you off and there may be nothing in it as it was the internet dept and not their phone dept and may have been a one off but, I will never go near them again.

Last edited:
B

binka

Thanks for the heads up Mark.

Because I needed the phone for my work I went on an unlimited package for calls and texts with a big data allowance for what I need (5 gig I think) so hopefully it should be fixed on the billing side of things but I will keep an eye on it.

I was with orange for many years and found them to be spot on, in fact EE still host my Orange email address which Orange hosted from Freeserve... How long ago was that lol?

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
It or the phone?!:)

---------- Post added at 08:50 ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 ----------

Binka-watch EE or as it was formally Orange-I had a bad experience with thier accounting department last year although it was to do with their internet provider department, not their phone. I won my case but I have since switched to SKy which has been a big improvement and a lot lot cheaper.
Sorry if I have put you off and there may be nothing in it as it was the internet dept and not their phone dept and may have been a one off but, I will never go near them again.

Yea join the club i can think of at least 10 friends that have had similar issues with them including myself .. barge pole fodder now .

PG ..