Shimano Exage 2500 ?

naxian62

Reaction score
Was thinking about one of these for my light luring,jigging and dropping. But not familiar with the smaller Shimanos.

Anyone care to comment, good/bad?

Apologies if this should be in the " Pred thread", but I thought it would reach a wider audience here.
Tight lines y'all.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've got one albeit rear drag.I dont use it much but the Exage range are nice, well built reels.....certainly mine is all of that. Spot on for what you have planned I would have thought.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Must be the single handled version!;):D

sumtime

Reaction score
I have an Exage 1000 and a 3000 (double handle but they can be swapped around), I've used the 1000 a lot more than the other. I also have a 2500 Super X gtm and a 5000 baitrunner, none have ever let me down.

The 1000 has been around the block more times than Yifter the Shifter with not a cough in sight. ;)

The fishing coach

Reaction score
I bought four Nexave 2500FA reels for coaching about twelve years ago and they have had quite a battering at the hands of my students up until my retirement early this year.
Not a problem and all I did was clean and lightly oil the exterior parts. I can't recommend these reels highly enough, the front drag being very reliable even in inexperienced hands.

I have since given two to a friend and am keeping the remaining two for light lure fishing and drop shotting.

floatfish

Reaction score
Have the single handed front drag version, and had the rear drag before that.
Nice reel well built and does the job with no problems.
In a word " it does what it says on the tin "

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you could stretch yourself a little i'd go for the stradic front or rear drag depending on your preference.

chrissh

Reaction score
I have the exage 2500 great reel good for light lure fishing mine is about 8 years old and still as good as new

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Not been seen on the Itchen yet S-Kippy :confused:

Any particular reason (or does it have two handles)?:eek:;)

Standards,my man.

The Itchen means trotting and trotting = centrepin. The Seatbox will not entertain having the Exage on board,nor any other yobbo f/s reel for that matter. I have no intention of being arrested for legering on the LIF so why take a fixed spool reel ?

robtherake

Reaction score
Had the earlier Exage 2500 since launch and it's never skipped a beat. Gets used for everything from spinning to pellet wagglering.

P

pointngo

At that price range the exage fd is one of the best out there. Alternatives would be Daiwa which are also worth a look.

Front drag is generally better for lure fishing as they are lighter.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
If your a good boy S-Kippy you can have a play with a Rarenium Ci4 Shimmy, it's better than my Hardy Conquest CP AND lighter (and it's a single handle!)

No thank you very much. I do not wish to be associated with anything that looks like it fell off a Romulan warp drive.

Hardy Conquest ? Is that the one with three cheap & nasty plastic handles as opposed to the usual two ? Hand it in at your nearest police station !

---------- Post added at 12:20 ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 ----------

At that price range the exage fd is one of the best out there. Alternatives would be Daiwa which are also worth a look.

Front drag is generally better for lure fishing as they are lighter.

They also look neater and seem to balance the rod better too. I use a Daiwa Exceler but largely because I had a couple and didn't see the point in buying another reel just for lure fishing. I'm not a complete mug !

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
No thank you very much. I do not wish to be associated with anything that looks like an essential part from a Romulan warp drive.

Hardy Conquest ? Is that the one with three cheap & nasty plastic handles as opposed to the usual two ? Hand it in at your nearest police station !

Thought you'd missed it S-Kippy :) Sounds like the sort of comment that precedes one of FM's famous CP threads :eek:

sam vimes

Reaction score
If anyone has one of those cheap and nasty Hardy Conquests lying around unused, because it's rubbish, please let me know. I may even give you some folding stuff in return, not too much though, it's a pile of junk after all!

P.S. 4.5" versions only.;):D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Nice enough reel but with seriously rubbish handles...and 3 of them to boot. Why ?

No intention of starting yet another CP war, Ian. I know what I like and nothing anybody says will persuade me otherwise. I've bought a couple of pups along the way but I'm happy with what I've got now.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'd also go for a swap for a choice of Okumas. Saying which exact models isn't going to happen on the forum, I'm not keen on starting WWIII.;):D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I'd also go for a swap for a choice of Okumas. Saying which exact models isn't going to happen on the forum, I'm not keen on starting WWIII.;):D

Oh go on. We havent had a decent row about Okuma pins for.....oooh....must be nearly a month now. I'm a Sheffield man me. Good pin albeit a bit lacking in charm. Damn sight cheaper than a Conquest too.