Small Barbel

Davey boy (ACA)

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking for possible info on how to pick up small Barbel on my local river, I've managed a few around the 4lbs mark, but struggling to find fish in the 12oz to 1.5lbs size, is this normal?

I've always found 'smaller' fish easier to catch in the past??

Davey boy (ACA)

Reaction score
Sorry Mark, some more detail..

Only been fishing a few years, mainly for trout on the fly (with limited success), recently been given acsess to a new lake (through a friend of a friend) which contains some very large catfish....... Very exciting!!!!

Talking to one of the locals (in the know), I've found out the going bait is small barbel 'lives' - apparently these are very hardy and last all night, unlike the usual roach.

These are present in the lake, but difficult to target. However a large population exists in the river that runs parallel to the lake. My problem is I can't seem to pick out the smaller fish.......... I'd never dream of using a livebait over 2lbs - despite the size of the target fish.

Anyone have a method of picking the smaller fish in the swim?

Morespiders

Reaction score
Forget the barbel Davy Boy, If you can lay your hands on some small dogs, catfish go mad for them, hook them in the tail, that way they swim about all night.

Dont fish them submerged, they soon drown, best fished floater style, reel them back in in the morning, give them a tin of Winalot , and cast them out again.

Hope this helps

C

Cakey

Davey Boy

they are very hardy and will last all night the only problem Ive found is hooking them in the lips is no good ,use a quality cat hook and hoo into the tail end

the takes are some thing else so tie the rod down !

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
The barbel is an almost God like species of fish Davey.

It has it's own worshiping groups and sometimes wars break out on this website over trivial barbel related things.

I reckon there's a black cross painted on your front door already!!!!

Davey boy (ACA)

Reaction score
Thanks for your imput guys,

I happy with my catfish methods, sorry if I've missled the question......

I'm looking to find away to 'select' small Barbel from a well populated stream.

I can catch the 4lbs+ fish from the shoal, but finding it difficult to select 'bait' fish......

Davey boy (ACA)

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Michael Townsend 3 wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

The barbel is an almost God like species of fish Davey.

It has it's own worshiping groups and sometimes wars break out on this website over trivial barbel related things.

I reckon there's a black cross painted on your front door already!!!!</blockquote>

Mike.....

I don't understand?

I've been told I'd get good help from this site?

C

Cakey

I would try cutting one in half and fishing the head or tail on the double poly ball rig

Davey boy (ACA)

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>pez wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I didnt think you was allowed to take live bait from a different water to what you are fishing??</blockquote>
I think the Barbel already present in the lake came from the adjacent river.

Davey boy (ACA)

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Cakey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I would try cutting one in half and fishing the head or tail on the double poly ball rig</blockquote>

I'M ASKING WAYS TO CATCH THEM, NOT HOW TO USE THEM!

I honestly thought I'd get some help on this site............