How much is angling worth?

Michael Hastings

Reaction score
Strikes me that with angling contributing so much to our economy the EA do not give us value for money for our rod licenses!

wes79

Reaction score
Agreed, but not at all surprised anymore.

3 years of fishing has dispelled my ignorance to a degree of what the EA is actually for and against, I have bought a license (AGAIN) but I'm not convinced I really need to, just to fish, catch and return, not having worked out yet what crime I'm complicit in for carrying a card that's T&C I've endorsed, as catch and return fishing in itself is not a crime and has very little impact on the ecological systems around me, I have no intention of taking any fish although the license allows licensee permission in some circumstances, am I simply paying for the intention to commit theft of fish in advance, getting permission, but not actually following it through?
Large funded institutions that make decisions/ make mistakes/test ecological or environmental theories on our behalf (licensees being accountable for, by purchasing their ideas)........isn't that something else altogether?

In particular, a license may be issued by authorities, to allow an activity that would otherwise be forbidden. It may require paying a fee and/or proving a capability. The requirement may also serve to keep the authorities informed on a type of activity, and to give them the opportunity to set conditions and limitations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/License

I still don't know what I may of needed the license for.

So I had a little google and found this....
https://environmentagency.blog.gov.uk/2014/07/17/where-does-your-rod-licence-money-go/
Paul Lidgett concludes:

So, what do you get for your rod licence? The right laws enforced; an emergency response; healthy fish stocks in a good quality environment; and a sustainable future for angling.

All that needs to be asked is does that ring true to every licensee or why is such a huge responsibility left to a national minority of mostly casual catch and release fishermen?

Last edited: