''Long session fishing days''

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Once the norm for me, sadly those days are gone. At best now it's three hours before the pain becomes too much, even when dosed up on painkillers. A bummer when mobile fishing has been my forte for most of my life. I suspect a few of the older guys will be experiencing this to one degree or another.

Anyone else restricted by affliction.

steve2

Reaction score
My days of walking for miles along river banks now seem to be gone. Given up my tickets for this year due to health and can't see me doing those long walks along overgrown streams again. Will take short walks from car park to swims on club waters. If I get restricted to commercials I will give up fishing and go back to nature photography. Which I seem to be doing more of when fishing than fishing these days.
Trouble is I don't consider myself old, bits are just starting to wear out.

thecrow

Reaction score
You have my sympathy Derek.

Yes is the simple answer, finding waters that hold the species of fish I want to fish for in the right surroundings and with easy access (car behind my swim) are all things that contribute to whether I fish or not.

I have found places that have some of the things I mention but none with all of them although I am always hopeful that somewhere will turn up, I have thought about changing the way that I fish and concentrating on still waters where access is easier but its very difficult to bring myself to do it when I keep thinking there's somewhere on a river that is suitable.

I blame fishing for some of the things that I suffer with now, long walks weighed down
with mountains of tackle and bait, that swim furthest away always seemed better than any nearer ones :) lots of nights spent on the bank before all the "mod cons" that are available to the long stay angler now, I enjoyed every bit of it though and wouldn't change any of it.

P

pointngo

I sympathise with you as well Derek. Long sessions over long years take it out of you eventually.

I suspect you may well have a similar issue but casting big lures around for years has given me tendonitis in my right elbow and it seems my wrist is now a problem as well. I wear an elbow brace when I'm lure fishing nowadays and it helps a lot. Just bought a wrist brace to try.

People say fishing isn't a sport but the similarities between a focused angler and professional sports people are easy to see... dedication, sacrifice, training/practice, personal improvement, the highs and lows... and the inevitable injuries and long term problems.

terry m

Reaction score
My sympathies too Derek.

Thankfully I am not yet restricted in this way, however as mid 50's approach the bones are quicker to ache and the joints are a little more creaky.

Time washes over all of us.

fruitowl

Reaction score
Totally understand the pain people feel and the frustration of not being able to fish where you want.

When you have a tough day the thought that if only I could have got to that particular swim it would have been better.

I am in a better place than the last couple of years since my new hip was installed but still struggle especially with the walk back as have been told cartilage in knee has been damaged so the walk back always seems longer and more strenuous.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Derek

Could not agree more whole heartily !!

I suffer from 3 prolapsed disc, chronic arthritis and now Gout which I find very depilating, so limited to short sessions.

Having completed the renovation of a Sharpe Splitcane rod I wanted to try it out yesterday afternoon.

Fishing the Sharpe's on the float with bread and the other cane rod as a sleeper on meat, it took two hours before I had a bite on the float rod and of course whilst playing this fish the other rod roared off ?

So I ended up with two in the net !!

Bob
003.JPG

View image in gallery

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Bob that's incredible, your afflictions mirror my own. Four damaged discs in the lower spine, and riddled with Arthritis. It has become increasingly worse over the last ten years or so, but I refuse to quit. As the Mrs would say, you would crawl to the bank,you stubborn old ******. Hence the long sessions are out of the question.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I don't know which is worse, the physical affliction suffered by those above, or that suffered by myself, where mental incapacity has pretty much the same effect....
Is it worse to suffer the pain and discomfort to reach and then fish one's choice of water, or to stride purposefully to that same place with lot's of tackle and bait carefully prepared, only to find it totally impossible to even open up the bag and set up a rod, and eventually turning back toward home without whetting a line ?

This malady has been with me since the age of 21 when I suffered my first breakdown and remains to this day, some 50 years later. Unfortunately, I cannot control or even know when the depression will take hold or how long it will last, and this is where I am at present, when two recent visits to a water have ended up in failure to fish, and this after months of 'freedom ' in every sense of the word. How odd it must sound to other folk to hear someone say they can think about how and where to fish each and every day, but not be able to achieve it for all the money in the world, were it offered.....

Hopefully this current bout will soon pass and I will again find myself sitting at the waters edge, but until then I will pleasure walk for miles and do what I have done over the years, and that's be extremely patient ................It takes it's own time.

We all have our crosses to bear as we continue through life and it is a lucky man indeed who completes his unhindered by poor physical or mental health, so all the above have my sincere sympathies, if not for different reasons to my own....

Last edited:

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Once the norm for me, sadly those days are gone. At best now it's three hours before the pain becomes too much, even when dosed up on painkillers. A bummer when mobile fishing has been my forte for most of my life. I suspect a few of the older guys will be experiencing this to one degree or another.

Anyone else restricted by affliction.

I'm still in my fourties and a long standing illness as reared it's ugly head. I've fished all my life long stay and matches but I have had to stop fishing completely.

I'm looking at getting started again in the autumn on short sessions, hopefully the new meds will let me do that and I can get going again

Feel your pain derek:D

Cheers Jason

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
To all those who have previously posted on this topic pleased accept my best wishes.

I am now in my 60s and up until a few years ago was a very, very keen carp angler. Most seasons I fished around 60 nights and that was mainly in the summer months. I have lost my obsession with big carp fishing and now fish for roach. Unfortunately I am now going deaf and if I am asleep I don't think a buzzer will wake me. Last weekend I night fished in the same swim with my son so that if my buzzers went off he would hear them - as it happened I received no action during the nights.

All the best - don't give up.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Don't give up, Derek - it can improve. Well...it did for me. I spent mid-April through to mid-July this year convinced I'd never walk properly again. The MRI scan got results that mirror yours: 4 degenerated discs and arthritis. At times, I was begging Mother Nature to stop the pain...
Very gradually, with the help of pain-killers and 'pelvic rocking', I got better. Do keep up with the physio.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Hummm yes long sessions used to be good but no more .
I can manage about 6 hours but cant sit still formore than about 30 mins at a time .
Cervical Spondylosis , Osteoporosis , Arthritis in both ankles hips knees and right shoulder & elbow . best part of 60 operations on the right femur and lumbar spine (leaving me with an osteo myalitis problem that keeps raising it's ugly head ) Oh and 3 lumbar prolapsed discs thats the main list and i still refuse to lie down and go quietly to hell with that as the advert says live life LOUD :D:D:D .

It does slow me down but always bounce back ever since august 1979 when i was demolished by an illegal nuff said .

Fishing gunna take a lot of doing to stop me ...:D

PG ..

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Perhaps we should have a new fishing club for those that can't anymore..go fishing, that is !!

Seems like it would attract a few members, judging form what I'm reading on here...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Just recently I developed a tinnitus in my right ear, its like I can hear my heartbeat all the time. My Doctor said " Don't worry, its when you cannot hear it, you've got a problem". The National Health is not what it used to be.
With arthritis and stiffness, I do think its important to keep moving, it gets worse when you stop and I have seen many people deteriorate very quickly once they give up and just sit all day. Adjustments have to be made but some exercise is better than none and fresh air is never harmful.
Sorry to hear you get depression Tee Cee, I have a friend who suffers from this and although hard to understand by non sufferers I can see how debilitating this is. I only suffer from the what I call the blues every now and then and it always helps me that I know it does not last and to some extent that helps my mate through his bad sessions. Again, I am sure a bit of exercise, fresh air and nature can help which to me is 50% of fishing.

theartist

Reaction score
I have to echo others in wishing all those on here as much bank time as possible. My dad is getting on so I carry both our gear, as i've also seen better days it can be a bit of a slog but it's doable. I also put him in the better swim but never take for granted having the whole of the rest of the river to choose from, One can only imagine and sympathise with those doing it on their own feeling the aches and pains.

barbelboi

Reaction score
My sympathies too Derek. As quite a few on here know the cartilages in my right shoulder are somewhat knackered (obviously the result of catching too many big fish over the years;)) . Ultrasound scans some seven years ago revealed that surgery was necessary but, after lengthy discussions with the surgeon and two further scans at three monthly intervals, it was decided that ‘rest’ ( I decided to retire at the time) was allowing them to ‘heal’ gradually (although would never be anywhere near 100% again) and surgery would be delayed (due to age) indefinitely should the condition ‘stabilise’. As it is I haven’t had the need for painkillers for some six years and sensible use of the shoulder (i.e. I now know exactly what is going to aggravate the condition) seems to keep control on matters until I ‘forget myself’ and overdo it.

On the bright side, I am generally fit and healthy and can ‘yomp’ for miles along the river banks without problem although limit the actual fishing time to around 4-5 hours a session a couple of times a week and try to avoid long distance drives (as the driving position and raising the arm anything above shoulder height is to be avoided as much as possible).

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have to echo others in wishing all those on here as much bank time as possible. My dad is getting on so I carry both our gear, as i've also seen better days it can be a bit of a slog but it's doable. I also put him in the better swim but never take for granted having the whole of the rest of the river to choose from, One can only imagine and sympathise with those doing it on their own feeling the aches and pains.

Its funny Artist, I just came back to add that sketching is a very worthwhile pastime, no real weight to lug about or licenses, access to worry about, yet with all the benefits of a bit of exercise, fresh air etc. I find this very therapeutic and rewarding. People are always or nearly always kind and interested and you are welcome almost anywhere. I am pretty rubbish but that does not matter and burying myself away somewhere with a few beers and a bit of lunch in front of a old tree is nice. Great for spotting wildlife as well.
If the fishing does get too much this is a good substitute to keep the old bones moving and the brain something to preoccupy itself with. Plus always something to show for your efforts, no blanks ! Also a lot of nice forums offering a lot of help.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
My sympathies too Derek. As quite a few on here know the cartilages in my right shoulder are somewhat knackered (obviously the result of catching too many big fish over the years;)) . Ultrasound scans some seven years ago revealed that surgery was necessary but, after lengthy discussions with the surgeon and two further scans at three monthly intervals, it was decided that ‘rest’ ( I decided to retire at the time) was allowing them to ‘heal’ gradually (although would never be anywhere near 100% again) and surgery would be delayed (due to age) indefinitely should the condition ‘stabilise’. As it is I haven’t had the need for painkillers for some six years and sensible use of the shoulder (i.e. I now know exactly what is going to aggravate the condition) seems to keep control on matters until I ‘forget myself’ and overdo it.

On the bright side, I am generally fit and healthy and can ‘yomp’ for miles along the river banks without problem although limit the actual fishing time to around 4-5 hours a session a couple of times a week and try to avoid long distance drives (as the driving position and raising the arm anything above shoulder height is to be avoided as much as possible).
Sad stories , ones that make me wish I had some magical cure all to enable everyone to get out bankside painfree but the resiliance shown by all is encouraging.
Jerry, maybe another way you can relieve the stress on your shoulders would be to forget the carp and Barbel and rethink your outlook on the old bream !;)