Obsessed by one method

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

My fishing buddy is a very good angler (well compared to me) - match fished for years and can turn his hand to any method of fishing, but come the warmer weather he does seem to get obsessed with one method and stick with it even if it's not the best for the situation - floating dog biscuit for carp!

Now there have been days we've fished when he's emptied the water using dog biscuit and out caught everyone else - even when they have been doing the same as him, but on days when the floating biscuit isn't working he steadfastly sticks with it.

I've seen him stick to his guns and catch a couple of carp when I've been catching plenty on meat, pellet corn - maybe not carp but having plenty of fish

I've even fished floating bread and caught when biscuit hasn't

So do you get stuck fishing one bait/method when you know you should change?

greenie62

Reaction score
Try taking him to a water that doesn't allow floating baits - see how he gets on then! ;):rolleyes::eek:mg:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I frequently become preoccupied with a certain method, type of fish or style of fishing. Rarely is that to the complete exclusion of all else though. However, there are plenty of occasions where I will persist with a certain method when another would be easier or more productive.

wes79

Reaction score
come winter - he'll be back to using whatever works but right now he's stuck with the dog biscuits

I have done very little float fishing this season or last season, sticking with light-to medium ledgering or feeder tactics and find it easier to resort to touch ledgering or free lining a bait than set up a float in most instances that demand a change(all to do with my level of experience and confidence) but have since found out how many variables there are to fishing in general and have to concede I will be unable to master them all, that is just course fishing, so yes, either I'm not bored of ledgering yet or its not failed me enough to want to change method, also the local species and how well they can be fished has had the biggest influence on what type of fishing I soon slipped comfortably into.
Alternatively, what I have found out is unless I change venues or go outside of my local quarries, where my normal style of fishing is shown to obviously the wrong choice of method to adopt, then I am forced to change my style, alongside knowledge of what fish are there coupled with an increased drive to land one I'm hoping will be enough to push the boat out and try some of these effective and sure to be enjoyable new methods, complacency will never help me to try and do that.

Last edited:

tincatim

Reaction score
I love the variety in angling too much to get stuck on one method. I'll often fish the same methods on similar waters but every now and then I try something different. An example would be to set up a method feeder with micro pellets when fishing a commercial, I know I'll catch well with it generally speaking. But sometimes I'll use a cage feeder or bomb with pva bag. I might catch more on the method but I want to develop my confidence and skill in all areas. That's how I'll become a better angler. Also if my preferred method isn't working I'll be confident in a few back up options.

There's so much scope for experimenting in fishing, I can't imagine sticking with one method, bait, water or approach all the time. It would seem like such a waste.

Keith M

Reaction score
I can't get obsessed with just one method as it depends on where, when and what species I'm after.
I'd get bored if I continually used the same method for the same fish all the time.

I do a lot of sessions on small streams and rivers after Barbel, Chub, Roach and Dace and will fish using different methods such as trotting, trundling, touch legering and surface fishing using various different rods and end tackle, and will also have the occasional sessions on stillwaters after Tench, Crucians, Carp and Rudd using the waggler or legering or surface fishing as this keeps my fishing fresh and interesting.

Keith

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
I don't become obsessed with one method but I do prefer to fish the stickfloat. That said I do have periods when I concentrate on one method to keep up to speed so to speak Pete.l

laguna

Reaction score
Some people change for the sake of it, others stick to one method and perfect it. But one method is not perfect for each and every venue.

I used to fish for whatever came along and was happy to catch a fish whatever it was, but now challenge myself to catch a certain species in a 'mixed fishery' using whatever tactics/methods work best.

I spend an inordinate amount of time these days testing and perfecting certain methods and baits in my line of business but admit, the fun factor isn't as it used to be when I was a young chuck it in and see what happens angler.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I had become slightly afflicted with the deadly Pole-itis... as a method it's brilliant for accurate and c*ck on presentation and it's bloody easy to rig up.....
That said I tend to reach for the pole as soon as the rod bag is opened.... even if the going method is summat else.... It has been pointed out recently.... so I'm now trying to fight off the urge to pick up a method feeder rod every time I walk onto a fishery...

Come October I'll be on a mini cage feeder until about Christmas:p