Note from the R.N.L.I. re life jackets

no-one in particular

Reaction score
ANGLERS AND LIFE JACKETS_INITIATIVE BY TH R.N.L.I. THROUGH TACKLE SHOPS

I came across this by accident and thought it should go in the Sea section. However knowing there are plenty of coarse anglers who venture into a bit of sea fishing who are the most likely not to be aware of the hazards of the sea, I thought it would not go amiss here. Especially regarding a life jacket, it is an expense but a worthy one as it might save your life one day, please read through it:-

We love angling! Around 1M people around the UK coast are already hooked. It’s a chance to get outdoors, away from the stresses of everyday life, and the different types of fishing mean that there really is something for everyone. However, much like not knowing when your next catch will be, water is incredibly unpredictable. There are a few things that you can do to make sure you’re fit to fish, on land or at sea.
So what’s the problem?
11 anglers died pursuing their sport in 2013. At least half were fishing from rocks and only a few were wearing a lifejacket. A lifejacket is the single piece of equipment that can be the difference between catching ‘the one’ and not. Don’t be an amateur, wear a lifejacket.
Angling is also a sport that keeps our lifesavers busy too. Boat leaks and swamping cause a high number of serious incidents and in 2013 we rescued 1,142 anglers from boats.
One August evening our volunteer crew responded to a competition angler who suffered face and head injuries after slipping and falling face first into a rock pool. Staithes and Runswick lifeboat crew picked up additional first aid and oxygen supplies and reached the 29-year-old man within 5 minutes of the alarm being raised. He was taken back to their lifeboat station where he was treated by paramedics.
• More real life stories
What’s the RNLI doing about it?
We’re working with bait and tackle shops to pilot a scheme in which they raise awareness of the risks and provide simple safety advice to their customers. We’ve also created the Think or Sink checklist, a way of making sure your time on the water is enjoyable and as safe as possible.
What can I do?
• Take the risks as seriously as you take your sport. Prepare for every trip.
• Check the weather and tides before heading to the coast.
• Tell someone where you're going and when you expect to be back.
• Carry a means of calling for help and know how to use it.
• If you're fishing from a boat or from exposed or rocky shoreline, wear a lifejacket.
• Keep your lifejacket fully maintained.
• If you're fishing from a boat, keep it well maintained, check your engine and carry spare fuel.
• Check through hull fittings for leaks.
• Always have a means of plugging a hole.
Links
• Get our top tips
• Everything you need to know about lifejackets
• Check out our interactive guide
• Advice on board
• Beach Finder app

Last edited:
P

pointngo

All great advice. Sea fishing, especially off rocks, can be a dangerous business. The tide race can also be so fast that you wouldn't stand a chance if you fell in without a life jacket.. and even with one it would be touch and go.

Couple of extra tips;

know the tide state and how it affects your mark... make sure you don't get cut off on a rising tide.

avoid the base of cliffs... rock slides and falls are common in some places, especially during the night after a lot of rain.

don't turn your back on the sea.. it will bite your ass!

The bad one

Reaction score
Well done for posting this Mark. There are two national charities I'd give my last penny too RNLI and Mountain Rescue. Neither have I as yet ever needed and hope I never will. But understand fully the commitment and dedication of both's volunteers to turnout when other perhaps wouldn't.
If either recommends something or advises you not to do it, you know that information is grounded in experience from experts. Your well advised to follow it to the letter.

wes79

Reaction score
It is not such a common sense to have respect for the sea or know of its dangers when the rarity for some away from dry land presents itself, in a leisurely form.

The sea has its power, its ability to sneak up on the edges of the land, silently in the day and especially at night time, Morcombe Bay being the most resent and obvious tragedy to reflect this and its ability to draw heat and thus your strength away from you when left struggling against it is no match for the inexperienced.
I think its a brilliant idea, if the seeds are not sown (in peoples minds) they are unable to sprout.
:thumbs:

Last edited:

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
You don't need to be on the sea. Even the relatively benign freshwater has taken it's toll.

Always amazed me in the years I spent my winters bobbing around on the Broads, how few anglers bothered with like jackets.

Doesn't matter how good a swimmer you are, fall into cold water with your winter kit on and you'll be lucky to get out.

Great initiative by the RNLI by the way.

Treat water with respect.

Stu