Maver Hair Rig Tyer

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well purchased myself one of the afforementioned devices today got it home and ye gads what a piece of **** , Cheap nasty poorly made flimsy thrown together .

It doews not gip the hook securely the loop holder is that soft it almost folds under it's own weight all in all a ripoff big time ..

Anyone else found the same ..

PG ..

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Unfortunately hook tying is something i find difficult at best .
I can tie a number 12 by hand but anything smaller needs a tool besides i would need a microscope to see the dang line .

I have a Stonfo hook tyer that works a treat but this thing well nuff said ..

PG ..

seth49

Reaction score
I've been using my fly tieing vice when I'm tieing knotless knots etc on carp rigs.
Very handy when you have big clumsy hands like me.?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have a Stonfo hook tyer that works a treat.

If you can use the Stonfo successfully, just use it as a hook clamp when tying knotless knots. Granted, you'll have to figure out how to judge the length of the hair yourself, but it should work. As you won't be using the loop creating prongs for anything, you might be able to use them as a hair length guide.

Another alternative is to use a pair of locking forceps as a hook clamp.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
If you can use the Stonfo successfully, just use it as a hook clamp when tying knotless knots. Granted, you'll have to figure out how to judge the length of the hair yourself, but it should work. As you won't be using the loop creating prongs for anything, you might be able to use them as a hair length guide.

Another alternative is to use a pair of locking forceps as a hook clamp.

Oh yes all sorts of ways around the problem of tying hair riggs , i have even tied a loop cut it off and laid it under the wipping on the Stonfo when needs must .

I just thought it would be nice to have the tool for the job , to find it such a pile of detritus in the quality department ffom such a big name is to say the least disapointing lesson learnt never buy any more Maver gear ... NXT seems far better made . cheers ...

PG ..

robertroach

Reaction score
A slightly different thing - I haven't been able to work out a good way to whip a quickstop on a fine loop to a hook without making it look a mess. You can buy them ready whipped, in packets (Guru, I think), but I can't seem to do it as neatly.
Anyone doing this?