Boilly/groundbait development

flightliner

Reaction score
Walk into any tackle shop today and the choice of groundbaits available for a given purpose seems to have grown enormously in recant years. True, some have been around for a long time.
The thing that Intrigues me is what, if any, is groundbaits recant improvements directly attributable to the success of the boilly development/revolution of earlier years?.

wes79

Reaction score
Good question.

There is obviously some room in this market for taking advantage of another market's waste or to take advantage of one overhead in the production process.

If look at the meat industry for example, you have mechanically removed meats that satisfy other industries like reconstituted meats and after that petfood and petfood places is really only one supply chain link to fishing feeds, groundbait being something that must I assume contain to some degree an edible foodsource for fish beyond simply attraction, a bit like cattle and horses being used to make glue, gelatin, beef stock cubes, Bovril, shammy leather etc etc etc or to put it another way, one business's waste by product is anothers potential commodity, a little tweak in the market or some clever advertising is pretty much all there is to it.

Yeast extract is another great one.

I bought "sinkers" for my loaches and I swear they are the smallest Halibut pellet out there but not sold using the name of that fish.

I know a guy who buys dog and cat biscuits (because they are cheaper to buy than named groundbaits) and he prepares them in a way that to be fair produces a half decent ball of groundbait, and it smells like it has something about it too, being happy to continue to use it, even though its not likely to ever be properly tested against a leading brand or promoted by those in the industry.

Spent bread?

Funny thing that still gives me a chuckle, a bit off topic, is my old man used to rib my brother for buying groundbait and putting to much emphasis on it being the sole thing that would secure him a catch, my old man referred to it as powdered scented donkey **** :D:D My old man always used scrap bread :)

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
Their relationship to modern boilie developments? none as far as I'm aware.

I was fed up pizsing in the wind trying to advise that; crushed particles (that you would normally prepare properly by soaking and/or boiling) are not safe for fish. Not safe in that; without a good soak/boil, crushed particles made into a powder (we call groundbait) are NOT easily digested and are therefore, NOT as attractive as they could be.

I would go so far as to say; many ingredients used in groundbaits are HARMFUL to the fish we supposedly care about!

A lot of ingredients are simply ground-up dry particles that have not been prepared (mixed in with low quality by-products fit for no other purpose). A quick soak at the lake/bankside for a few minutes to form into a ball and lob in, is not the same as a good long soak and boil.... its as simple as that.

Obviously I can't speak for any other brand of groundbait, but what we have done is design DINNERbell to 'attract' no matter what hookbait you use. The attraction comes from the combination of amino acids present that are sought after, malting and sprouting of grain and the unique pre-digestion process of over 60 ingredients.

Our soak times are 3 months (hydrolysed) and the products are supplied damp (forms into a ball) and riddled (ready to use) and will not go mouldy.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Sorry Laguna.... not being contentious, but I'll have to disagree..... I'd say that groundbait additives have taken a leaf out of the boilie production pages... and vice versa, inasmuch as fishmeal groundbaits and boilies are the norm these days.... the last big additive was bloodworm and now the latest wonderbait is Krill.... I suppose the next will be Lark spit with Mealworm teeth:p:cool:

As a lot of the bait companies produce groundbaits and boilies there'll always be a crossover between the two.... especially as groundbaits and base mixes are none too different, with biscuits, nuts, meals, brans, salts and various proteins being bulk agents of both

Sadly us anglers fall for it every time yet as a part-time clubbie match angler I tend to stick with a few tried and trusted groundbaits... Supercup, Bream 3000, and Crazy Bait Gold/Black or Betain green... tried the Krill baits....( Meh...! not convinced... makes a good dusting for your grubs tho') can't use anything with bloodworm in it as I'm allergic to the cr*p:mad:

laguna

Reaction score
Sorry Laguna.... not being contentious, but I'll have to disagree..... I'd say that groundbait additives have taken a leaf out of the boilie production pages... and vice versa, inasmuch as fishmeal groundbaits and boilies are the norm these days.... the last big additive was bloodworm and now the latest wonderbait is Krill.... I suppose the next will be Lark spit with Mealworm teeth
As I said, speaking from personal experience zero influence. They may include some of the more familiar ingredients but then it would be hard to avoid them given that some are known fish catchers. Fishmeal groundbaits include fish, it doesn't mean they weren't around prior to the advent of boilies. If we're talking about a matching hookbait containing the same 'additives', then sure, but that would be the anglers choice as would adding crushed boilies. Other manufacturers might try to influence buying decisions based on selling a complimentary range and that would be the extent of the relationship, not the developmental side of things imo.

I'll stick with the tried and tested way of development, good and honest products that work naturally as nature intended; unsurpassed shelf life, guaranteed zero artificial additives, colours or preservatives. ;)

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
With respect, every bait manufacturer I've come across, say that they use only the finest ingredients, all natural, no preservatives..... well, that's all very well, but there are very few "un-natural" ingredients and if they add salt.... well that's a preservative although few folk realise it.... not having a go, just saying I've heard it all before, and that's not a trite statement....
in 53 and a half years of fishing and carping since the early 70's you get to hear of a few tricks of the trade... I've yet to come across a bait manufacturer (and I've known a few) who are not all bastions of good character who only have the welfare of the fish at heart....

However..... How many when faced with rising costs add a little bulk agents to the mix...? how many will use a cheaper fishmeal to keep operating costs down?
how many use shorter processes to save on leccy or gas?

I don't have a problem with it, I understand how businesses have to make ends meet, and compromises have to be made otherwise you go under ....

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
You know, I would think that the opposite is actually more true inasmuch as following the advent of the ubiquitous pellet and boilie culture that the available range(s) of groundbaits, and additives, and colouring, has actually greatly diminished.

In the 90's I was a Sensas Team sponsored angler with access to literally dozens of ground baits and additives, many of which have long gone from the tackle shop shelves.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Oh I dunno.... I was in Angling Direct a few hours ago and their groundbait shelves were groaning under the weight... tons of varieties and flavours.... Sensas, VDE, Bait Tech, Mainline, Maryukyu (however you spell it)to name but a few.... for carp, silvers, f1's, cats even....

the pellet shelves were the same... as were the shelf life boilies sections