Rubber mesh landing nets

sam vimes

Reaction score
When using rubber meshed landing nets I've noticed a distinct tendency for fish to go absolutely nuts on contact. It can make it rather more difficult to unhook a fish than it needs to be. It's got so obvious that I've all but given up using them. I'm convinced that fish are calmer in a standard soft mesh.

Anyone else noticed anthing along the same lines?

terry m

Reaction score
I use the rubberised mesh nets for piking to avoid treble tangles and have not noticed any change in disposition of fish when compared to normal mesh. Mind you apart from the odd carnivorous chub, I have only had pike in that net.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have one rubber mesh net, quite old and batterd now and i've had lots of fish in it over the years...I can't say i've noticed the fish behave any different in it than in a normal material net.

law

Reaction score
I've got one of the Fox Predator ones. Pike are fine in it, and recently I've been using it on the rivers and have had chub, bream, and big perch in it and they haven't been any different to normal mesh nets

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Now this is complete guesswork and more like thinking aloud...

With normal mesh, any decent angler would have it ' wet and cold ' already prior to landing a fish, whereas one of rubber, simply because it is rubber, would always be ' dry ' so might it retain some warmth ( or heat if in the sun ) from laying on the bank which, as it comes in contact with a fish, causes some discomfort, in that any retained heat hasn't dissipated fully ( before that 'contact ' )?

Feel free to have a good laugh........my shoulders are broad !

Last edited:

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Now this is complete guesswork and more like thinking aloud...

With normal mesh, any decent angler would have it ' wet and cold ' already prior to landing a fish, whereas one of rubber, simply because it is rubber, would always be ' dry ' so might it retain some warmth ( or heat if in the sun ) from laying on the bank which, as it comes in contact with a fish, causes some discomfort, in that any retained heat hasn't dissipated fully ( before that 'contact ' )?

Feel free to have a good laugh........my shoulders are broad !

Nowt to laugh at... tis a fair comment... I've seen it meself and I put it down to the same thing.... hence my net is regularly dipped in the margins to keep it wet and cool... another way to try and forestall a nutty fish is to get the net in the water well before you land it and it'll cool it down... that said though I had a fish in an older soft mesh net a while back and for a Bream it went mental... so go figure... perhaps fish are just generally bolshier nowadays.... they'll be wearing peaked caps backwards and saying "innit" a lot with a pseudo west indian accent cos dey is "Gangsta bruv":cool::p:wh:eek:mg:

theartist

Reaction score
Slightly off topic but I always got the feeling rubber mesh is slightly harsher on the fins than other nets as the mesh is usually slightly larger. Hopefully i'm wrong as it's harder to find a decent sized net that isn't rubber nowadays.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I haven't noticed this meself. One thing I have noticed though is that once wet my rubber net seems to lose all its rigidity and behave pretty well like a "normal" net. I wasn't sure about these rubber jobbies until I tried one but I'm sold on them now. Just keep it wet.

I'm using the Grey's btw. I like it a lot and I am not easily impressed.

P

pointngo

I've not found the rubber nets make the fish anymore lively than standard mesh, although mine are all predator nets.

Although off topic; mesh size is important as too big a mesh will split fins.

Keith M

Reaction score
I haven't noticed any abnormal fish behaviour using rubberised mesh with any of my landing nets however I used to have an early rubberised spoon net which was quite stiff and harsh compared to more modern nets, this older spoon net ended up in the bin.

Keith