Hand warmer for winter

chrissh

Reaction score
I’m thinking of buying 2 petrol hand warmers so I can put one in each pocket for winter fishing
I have tried the solid fuel (carbon stick) ones with not a lot of luck keeping them a light
Can any of you recommend a tried and tested make of hand warmer?
1. Whitby
2. Zippo
3. Fire fly

sam vimes

Reaction score
Can't say much about the others as I haven't tried them, but the Zippos have worked just fine for me. I've had them for at least three years now.

The Zippos are reputed to be pretty much the same as those made by Peacock.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I wonder if the Hotrox jobbies ( rechargeable via a USB port ) are any good ?

Three hours on hot or six on medium seems reasonable and must help hold an 18 hook at zero degrees !

ps Just mentioned these to my wife ( early presi ! ) and she tells me that they are possibly recommended by a ' Society ' called the Raynaud's and Scleroderma Association. Cold hands are a major part of these dreadful conditions ( read up on them yourself ) and they have an online ' shop ' offering products for the same cold hands.....

Unfortunately, no more time to do more research now, but maybe what they ' recommend ' generally may be of help to fishermen ??

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
I have a couple purchased years ago,to be brutally honest not good for fishing. If your fishing the float you can hardly hold a hand warmer. If your on the tip by the time you get your hands out of your pocket the fish has gone. Buy a pair of gloves or rub some Vaseline on the backs of your hands

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Tip of the Day....

Buy a dog and feed it on summat spicey that way when you pick up it's **** you'll always have a hand warmer... (make sure your bags haven't got any holes in em tho'):cool::p:wh

pf0x

Reaction score
Doesn't Keith Arthur swear by rubbing his hands with petroleum jelly before fishing on cold days? He says it works. Never tried it myself.

I'd be worried about 'tainting' the bait? Mind you, old match men used to smoke like troopers in the 70s and 80s and it didn't seem to do their fishing much harm.

Duncan Charman doesn't even dare put fuel in his car on his fishing days in case the smell puts off the fish.

trotter2

Reaction score
Ray each to there own ,I would not put my hands down his trousers LOL