Reaction score
hi all
do any one know have any barbell been landed from the Hampton court
stretch as all 3 of us blanked there sunday then you read the fishing mags
and they say barbell from Hampton ct any news tanglers

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that you'll find that the majority of the Barbel landed from Hampton Court are from the wierpool and pretty close to the actual weir too.

If I were going to target those then I'd definitly fish from a boat as bank access close to the weir is really not possible, or at least not from memory . . . . . . .

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
It's a long stretch! I haven't fished there for a few years.

There are huge shoals of biggish Bream and some conking Barbel. You need to feed heavily and put up with the Bream. Pellet feeder with Hinders Blitz would be a good place to start, Weir is a good place but downstream of the Mole at night used to be the most reliable stretch.

Stu

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I visited this a couple of years ago, my brother lives close by although I never got round to fishing it.. The weir is inaccessible but, you can hire a punt from 100 yds down from the bridge. I think it was £28 for the day and it was open from April to September, something like that. I am not sure if you need a special permit to fish the weir but it might be the case and a life jacket might be advisable. Maybe they supply one.
Most of the bank anglers appeared to fish from Cigarette Island the other side of the bridge. Although I quite fancied some of the swims along the other side from this part.
I believe Thames barbel are not significant in numbers and always hard to latch on to, which in some ways makes them more of a catch. So, I wouldn't expect to catch one easily. I believe there are also supposed to be some carp along here as well but the same criteria would apply I imagine.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Hey caelan, I didn't know you would reach chapter 10 of your new book ( on Thames barbel ) so soon !

I know diddly about the stretch mentioned, BUT I did know of a chap who fished for them regularly above the lock / weir at Medmenham just below Henley...This is yonks ago, but I know he took the very occasional near 'double ' fish from time to time.
I always thought it odd he fished upstream of the huge weir though...What do I know....

ps This weir was also the place where I last saw silkweed fishing from the apron, but that's another story................

...and anyway from memory, Hampton court is nowhere near Dinton Pastures, unless they've moved it !! You need a new satnav eh !! )! ( add a winky smilie here

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll make some enquiries Peter. I'm still in touch with a few who will know.

Stu

I would be interested as it was one of my stomping grounds when in me early 20's.

I keep on promising myself to go back and re-visit those old swims to see how they compare today with my memories: Canbury Gardens, The Longwater at Hampton Court, Teddington Weirpool and so many others.

Even the confluence of where the Mole joins the Thames which used to be a particular favorite of mine as I had some huge Dace, Roach and Bream from there years ago.

tryanythingtwice

Reaction score
You sill can fish all of the aforementioned areas. Not sure about hiring a boat/punt though, at Sunbury, yes but not sure about Molesey. A weir permit is only required if you fish off the actual weir structure. Be aware that whole area can get very busy with both anglers and boaters.

caelan

Reaction score
:whHEY TEECEE
sorry dinton is a no go my mate who tags along is an OAP an we been told to is a long walk to the swims

john step

Reaction score
Get a tent and pay for a couple of nights at the Camping and Caravanning club site alongside the said weir. They also charge for fishing.

tryanythingtwice

Reaction score
Caelan,

I'm starting to think that your best option might be to get you and your mates a boat, launch it somewhere around Cricklade and fish your way down the river... you can also have a go at the bottom of the Loddon at Wargrave then:)

john step

Reaction score
Caelan,

I'm starting to think that your best option might be to get you and your mates a boat, launch it somewhere around Cricklade and fish your way down the river... you can also have a go at the bottom of the Loddon at Wargrave then:)

Don't put ideas in his head. He gets around too much already.:eek::eek:

caelan

Reaction score
:whHEY john
I am not done yet I am looking at the river trent now for a weeks fishing
around muskham just looking for a place to stay with b/b and a few lagers
LOL

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I just hope he doesn't find out where Australia is....( add a smilie as the above post )

.......I suppose in 10 years time we could be saying " I knew Caelan before he was famous "