Hello

dann

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have just joined the forum. Based in West Berkshire and fairly new to fishing, I enjoy either getting out on my own or with my 2 young lads.

We have been to a few commercial fisheries which have been good to get a bit of experience and keep the boys interest up as they are catching regularly. We have also spent a few afternoons on the Thames but this has been a bit mixed, probably due to my lack of knowledge.

I have been reading up on fishing wide, fast moving rivers so it will hopefully give me a better chance in future. I prefer the idea of river or sea fishing but I'll need to improve if I don't want to continue going for a walk with my fishing gear ;-)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Welcome Dann...A few folk from your neck of the woods on FM who might offer some help with waters, should you need it....

Otherwise, good to have you aboard!

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Hi Dan

Enjoy the forum.

The better you can read rivers, the better you will fare. On commies, you are rarely far from fish, on a river, especially a large one, you can be a long way from the fish. Some have an inbuilt sixth sense the rest of us have to apply logic and experience and hope for the best! Enjoy the ride!

Stu

dann

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and offers of help.

I have done quite a bit of reading on here already and picked up some good information.

I think the section of the Thames I have been to is a tough one for an inexperienced fisherman. It is very wide, straight and fast moving and the bank we fish from is busy with everything from pleasure boats to dogs jumping in.

I'll keep plodding on and learning.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Dann........are you able to say (roughly ) where on the Thames you are fishing ?

Just possible someone on here could give you a few pointers on possible alternative spots that are quieter and with lees flow speed....So many backwaters and streams with loads of narrow stretches above Oxford and some quieter stretches below as well..

Be nice to think someone could help you out andpossibly put a few more fish on the bank !

Good luck, anyway..

dann

Reaction score
Dann........are you able to say (roughly ) where on the Thames you are fishing ?

Just possible someone on here could give you a few pointers on possible alternative spots that are quieter and with lees flow speed....So many backwaters and streams with loads of narrow stretches above Oxford and some quieter stretches below as well..

Be nice to think someone could help you out andpossibly put a few more fish on the bank !

Good luck, anyway..

Thanks Tee-cee, I have been fishing the Pangbourne section, slightly downstream from Whitchurch bridge. It is a very pretty section so a nice place to spend an afternoon, even without the fishing.

I plan to check out the Goring and Streatley section when I have a chance, it looks a bit slower moving and more suitable.

I am off to Theale fisheries with the kids tomorrow, I have heard some good things about it recently so thought we would give it a go.

dann

Reaction score
A little update on this thread.

I have since found a better section of the river, joined the club who manage this section and we are making good progress and catching a few. Even better is the boys and I are thoroughly enjoying it.

I picked the kids up from school the other day and I overheard the eldest telling his mate about the different baits and what he caught over the weekend :wh

I still have a fair bit to learn so when my preferred methods are not working, I have a plan b and c. At the moment I am a bit of a 2 trick pony.

tedtuckerman

Reaction score
hi all bob the name and fishing my game bin fishing since i was twelve mostly sea fishing recently just started fresh water fishing and was looking for some one to join if possible have my own transport got meany fishing friends in sea fishing which you do in most cases and like to do the same in fresh not a person who likes to fish on is own notice sea totally different from fresh every one seems moor friendly unlike fresh they seem no very help full or to serious i live in heath field and have meany lakes around me missus goes with me now and then :p:p