Good Morning

richardallen

Reaction score
I have not fished since I was a boy, and I was pretty useless then. My young daughters have taken an interest in fishing and I am keen to get them enjoying the outdoors.

We took a spinning rod on holiday this year and spent a few quiet and very enjoyable hours catching aboslutely nothing from an italian lake. A few trips to more rural parts of the Gloucester-Sharpness Canal, have so far reinforced my inability to catch fish. But watching the bats swooping around after dusk with your 7 year old is really special.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Richard,

It is lovely to take the youngsters out fishing, even if its a blank.

Best advice for under 11's would be to get a couple of cheap telescopic whips and fish them line to hand with simple maggot bait on the canal as this should usually guarantee a few fish for her to catch and handle.

There is nothing worse than a bored youngster on the bank, so make sure that catch, even if just small silver fish.

Thee are a good starter: Leeda Telescopic Whip (3m) | GO Outdoors

https://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/ac...riple-Pack---Combo-Deal---Save-30---5167.html

Good luck . . . . .

rubio

Reaction score
Stay with it buddy. Your girls will get to see much more than bats at some point and fish are bound to come if you follow the good advice above.
Have fun.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I took my stepdaughter night fishing for the first time when she was 8 years of age, and she really loved it.

Not only the fishing but the "camping" experience which turned into a weekend long session of outdoor pursuits including cooking over an open fire, making hot chocolate and toasting marshmallows before bedtime and learning to identify wild flowers and trees.

She still has some of the pressed flowers in her scrapbook . . . . and she landed a 7lbs common Carp on her own albeit with some guidance form Dad.

She has just turned 19 now but will still come with me to the river for a day trout fishing.

richardallen

Reaction score
What an incredib;y friendly and warm response. The little one is already jumping up and down to go and get a whip. (Need to get the blackberry picking with Mum done first I suspect !)

Very many thanks
Richard

rubio

Reaction score
Maybe claim a pot of berries for bait too. They won't go to waste even if fish don't have 'em

richardallen

Reaction score
Bought a 3m whip, a couple of rigs, a small box of maggots and a permit from my local tackle shop (Lobby's in Stonehouse - very helpful) and off we went to the canal. I still have not yet caught a zander on a lure, but Emma (7) christened her whip with a small perch. Absolutely marvellous.

Thanks very much for the encouragement.