'Becoming Ahab' - Paul Mortlock

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
http://www.fishingmagic.com/feature-articles/18104-becoming-ahab.html

A tale of woe from one of our regular readers...

thumbnail.php

thecrow

Reaction score
I have fished waters where I have known of large fish being a possibility but rarely have I contacted any of them, one such water I knew held a very big Pike and although I never set out to catch the fish it was always something that I thought of each time I visited the water, usually on the drive to it.

I was lucky enough one session to catch the large Pike and though I was very pleased with it I never felt the same about the water, I had enjoyed fishing it for a couple of years always being happy with the suroundings and the fish that I caught but now there was something missing, I didn't pass the drive time away by thinking of the large fish and catching it had somehow taken something away from the water, I finished the season there but never went back after that.

Hooking "your" Carp and loosing it would have had me still fishing the water as there was still a score to be settled with it.

Enjoyed reading the article, thank you.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Super new article Paul.

Really enjoyed reading it . . . . . .

Shame about that Carp, but I'd be returing time after time until I banked it

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Call me Ishmael... Paul, you now have two separate hobbies, fishing (anywhere else) and Ahab-ing until you meet again. Your excuses for being bored have just been halved!
Thanks for a nice article, and don't hook Moby again too soon - Crow's right.

rubio

Reaction score
Reminds me of my own feeble attempts to catch 'the loner'. Just my own name for it not one of those carpy named fish like hogshead or scartail etc. This ws also a ghostie, and typically wary of the ilk. I've always believed fish are much more nervous about attack from above than from below and ghosties are so much easier to spot in a crowd. This one adopted a policy of keeping away from anything else with fins. It would happily mooch about for hours stealing bait just as described. And I too succumbed to the notion that this was in fact a wild pet that I felt responsible for providing with regular sustenance, as opposed to a specimen to be targetted.
Paul is clearly a far superior angler and his cunning tactic of ignoring his beast, and lulling it into a false sense of security and all that, is what led him to the comparative success of actually hooking his target. After 3 summers I came up with the solution of not renewing my club membership and started fishing new waters, for real fish.
I guess it's still doing the same old thing now, and probably at least a twenty, and even more cunning. I could ignore the aggravation that was the true reason for my move, and rejoin the club and seek it out once more, but this May a new 'loner' revealed itself. Again a ghostie, again it left the vicinity whenever another carp turned up.
Not sure how much it weighs is all I can say!