Lets be careful out there.

seth49

Reaction score
Sprotborough Falls on the Don - popular with anglers
Sprotborough Falls on the Don – popular with anglers
Two men attacked a lone angler and tried to set him on fire as he fished a popular stretch of the the River Don.
The incident happened close to midnight near Sprotbrough Falls on the Doncaster and District Angling Association-run area of the venue.
A post circulated on Facebook to warn anglers described the incident.
It said: “They got him from behind, tied wire round his neck, poured lighter fluid and glue over his face and in his mouth and pushed him in the River Don.”
Ian Hurst, secretary of Doncaster and District Angling Association, said: “It’s really shocking. It’s a popular place for anglers and is generally regarded as a tranquil place to fish.
“I was made aware of the incident after one of our bailiffs saw a post on Facebook, so I contacted South Yorkshire Police to see if they were aware of it and find out more information.
“The police confirmed that the post was accurate and said they were taking it extremely seriously. At this stage we are not sure if it was a random attack. I’m waiting to speak to the officer to find out what stage the investigation is at.”
A police spokesman said: “At around 11.35pm on Sunday, August 23, it was reported that the man, who was on his own near Sprotbrough Falls, was assaulted by two unknown men.
“It was reported that the men poured a substance on the victim and attempted to set fire to it. As a result, the man entered the water and the offenders left the scene.
“The man, who suffered minor injuries, called police and is helping them with enquiries.”
A post has been put on the DDAA’s website alerting anglers to the incident.
It says: “DDAA have confirmed reports seen on a social media site regarding an incident with an angler on one of the association waters.
“The matter is being dealt with by South Yorkshire Police and is currently under investigation. If any angler witnesses any harassment or anti social behaviour you should contact the police by calling 101, or 999 if the situation is of a serious nature.”
*For more breaking news from the fishing world

*Buy top brand fishing tackle at the lowest UK prices…guaranteed!

Sent from my iPad

Harvey

Reaction score
H*** mother of C*****! This is absolutely horrible! Where is Pierrepoint when you need him?

seth49

Reaction score
Reported incident

Posted by Administrator on August 25, 2015

DDAA have confirmed reports seen on a social media site regarding an incident with an angler on one of the association waters.The matter is being dealt with by South Yorkshire Police and is currently under investigation. If any angler witnesses any harassment or anti social behaviour. You should contact the police by calling 101 or 999 if the situation is of a serious nature.

Comments: Comments are off for this article
Filed Under: News

Just copied this of Doncaster angling site, so it appears to be true.
Must have been terrifying for the chap involved.

tincatim

Reaction score
This is absolute crazy s***! I read about it the other day and couldn't believe it, unless there's some unseen motive like revenge for something terrible (which still isn't right) then why on earth would someone try to set another person on fire. Only an absolute idiot would find it funny, what other motivation could they have?

The bloke involved was very lucky to have escaped. I've fished that area and a lot of the pegs are very deep close in, he have drowned or died of hyperthermia.

What's the world coming to.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
The assailants spoke in a foreign accent.
My investigations into this incident led me to a weird and not very wonderful world of far right extremism and very sharp knives.
I don't believe this story.