Superstitions

thecrow

Reaction score
Following on from Dereks thread about playing music on the way to a venue has anyone got any other superstitions to do with fishing?

Mine is having these two coins in my tackle box at all times, I have had them for many years and I know it would make no difference to my fishing if I didn't have them with me but never the less I have to have them with me.

The Penny is dated 1862 and the Sixpence 1964.

Last edited:

imol

Reaction score
I always do "one extra turn for luck" on all my knots. I have no idea if it makes any difference, but I have been doing it for 40 years or so.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't do superstitions and lucky charms, though I do seem to manage a certain level of borderline OCD that might appear to be superstition from the outside. The reality is that the closest I get to superstition is a belief in Sod's Law. That has often manifested in new gear blanking. However, after buying rather a lot of new kit in the past few years, and having the odd red letter day when using it for the first time, my belief in that has waned somewhat.

B

binka

Setting up the landing net first is a must for me.

If I get dressed and my Y-fronts are inside out and back to front then they have to remain that way, as do inside out socks :confused:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Setting up the landing net first is a must for me.

Same for me, but is it really a superstition? I was taught to set a landing net up before a rod was even taken out. The reasoning being that you couldn't end up forgetting and fishing with no net set up if you got into the habit.

I've no doubt that it's become part of my OCD tendencies, and I've inflicted it on anyone that I've taught to fish, but I don't consider it a superstition.

B

binka

Same for me, but is it really a superstition? I was taught to set a landing net up before a rod was even taken out. The reasoning being that you couldn't end up forgetting and fishing with no net set up if you got into the habit.

I've no doubt that it's become part of my OCD tendencies, and I've inflicted it on anyone that I've taught to fish, but I don't consider it a superstition.

Totally agree in the practical sense Sam, I posted this in Derek's thread a few days ago...

I always but always try to set up my landing net prior to doing anything else, not bad practice in all fairness but my motivation for doing so is purely based on irrational superstition with just a hint of OCD :eek:mg:

I'm an odd ball! :D

flightliner

Reaction score
I carry a Hull and district badge, one that I traded for a swingtip on a fishing holiday back in the mid sixties.Its not really a lucky charm as such but its been on virtually every fishing trip I've ever made since.
It must have done hundreds of thousands of miles in between times.
I reckon its earned its place in my kitbag.
A year ago I offered it to Kevin Clifford who runs H&DAA but he said to keep it but if I run into him again I would like him to have it for his generosity.

wa1115

Reaction score
It's funny that this should be brought up as I have a New Superstition and it seems to be working.
Second day of the season I headed off down the river a good few miles in the middle of nowhere (never seen a sole) and saw what I thought to be a fiver note on the bank. I picked it up and to my suprise it was a One Dollar bill. Since then I have taken it with me every trip as my lucky charm and I haven't blanked yet. Needless to say it will remain with me every session.

john step

Reaction score
I throw a bit of bait to the usual robins and chaffinches that hang around waiting for tit bits.
Seems to produce bites:wh

chrissh

Reaction score
I have a small silver horse shoe been in my box for 30+ years.

Never whistle on the bank - you are call the wind.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
My landing net must stay dry until there's a fish to net - I feel jinxed if it gets wet for any other reason until I've caught one. It often stays dry for days...
So don't lose your football in the drink upstream of me unless you have a really fast -acting Chub-bite-NOW spell at your disposal.

The Sogster

Reaction score
I have always poured a small libation from my cup into the water prior to casting in as an offering to whichever deity inhabits the water.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
No particular superstitions, but I always allow myself a short ' calming down period ' before I start setting up, particularly if the journey down has been in the company of fractious drivers en route to work.....
In the old days I might become cross and edgy if the journey took a lot longer than expected, and this frame of mind invariably transferred itself to the setting up process, causing silly mistakes when tying knots etc etc.
These days, where time is unimportant it terms of fishing, I do, as I say, take my time and perhaps stand looking over the water ( sometimes with my eyes closed ) to allow the place to flow over me, or quietly creep along the bank looking for nothing particular, but more to change my mind set ' from rush and tear ' to ' I have time to burn '.....

As I say, not a superstition but more a nice way to start the day..........................

ps Mind you, once I begin, the fishing is always, what shall I say - intense !!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't belive at all in superstitions as I think they are nothing but a panacea for the weak of mind . . . . . . . .

That said, and understood, I would never dream of going fishing unless I wore my lucky hat and underpants, or my odd socks; one is blue the other black.

Then I have to have my charmed landing net. I have owned it for over 40 years and it is a bit like Trigger's Broom, just 8 new handles, 14 new nets and 5 new frames.

Last but not least is my much favoured flask; I'd never catch anything without it . . . . . .

Superstitions?

Bah, humbug!