Tips for posting photos

Harvey

Reaction score
I always bring my camera when I go fishing. And take photos of anything that catches my attention. Be it trees, and butterflies, and birds, and badgers, and wildlife in general. And, of course, the fish I catch. At least if they're something out of the ordinary.

I have uploaded a few photos on this forum from Photobucket, but for some odd reason they seem to disappear almost immediately. And I can't see photos posted by others. I click the link in the post, but noting, except a 404 errormessage, is to be seen.

So I have found a better way, it think.

I use the program VSO Image resizer, an excellent piece of free software, to reduce the size of the image. It's free, reliable, and very easy to use. A few clicks, and you're done. Use Google, and download a copy.

This photo

P1000535_640x480_.JPG

View image in gallery

started off as a 4320 x 3240, 5.37 MB jpeg. I used VSO Image resizer to reduce the size to 640 x 480, and used options for an additional reduction in quality and size of the outputfile. The result was a 640 x 480, 79.3 kB jpeg. A tiny file compared to what I started with. And I could have ended up with an even smaller file, if I had wished for it. 79.3 kB is ok, though, and the quality is good enough for uploading to a forum.

Then I used the forum's Gallery function, and uploaded it from my computer. There are strict limitations on the amount of data you can upload, but with tiny files like mine, you are not likely to hit the roof for a while. You insert the photo in your post using the My Photos [Insert] in the lower right corner of the textfield, right below the smilies. Just press the Insert button, pick the photo you would like to post, and the necessary code is generated. Very easy, and very convenient.

And the pics don't go away, like they used to. More photos will make the forum better and more interesting for everybody. I'm really looking forward to see your ugly faces, and the beautiful fish you've landed. So start uploading right away!

Last edited:
B

binka

I'm really looking forward to see your ugly faces, and the beautiful fish you've landed. So start uploading right away!

I'll second that, the fish anyway but not sure about the ugly faces... I've usually had enough of those by the time I've finished shaving every morning :D

Photobucket has always been spot on for me but the more alternatives for uploading then the better imo :)