Favourite season for fishing

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

Following on from Kevin Perkins excellent Autummmmmmmmmmmmmn article - what is your favourite season for fishing?

Mine would have to be spring - when the countryside is waking up from winter, fish are starting to feed more, the birds are out and busy nest building and the flowers are starting to show.

For me that's the best time for me to be out fishing as the weather starts to warm up and fishing becomes a joy again instead of a war attrition

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Without hesitation for me it would be autumn, the green's red's and gold's also there's a clean freshness in the air, and most fish are in their prime.

thecrow

Reaction score
Autumn for me, weather is usually better neither to hot nor to cold, rivers are in better condition (if its not been to dry) and late in autumn the fish are starting to feed in earnest ready for the winter.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Autumn for me too, and the later the better when the river Roach are beginning to show themselves.

Great time to be outdoors . . . . . .

B

binka

In winter it's summer and in summer it's autumn... But spring is probably my favourite as far as being on the banks goes with autumn the favourite for actually catching fish.

So then, overall I would have to say it's definitely... :confused:

Lark

Reaction score
Definitely autumn for me. The rivers (generally!) start behaving and the roach and chub seem to step up a gear and look their best. The autumn golds, ambers and reds of the trees never cease to impress me. An overcast sky with a coolish, languid south-westerly (preferably upstream!) and I'm sorted.

floatfish

Reaction score
Spring, Summer and Autumn, when it's warm enough to enjoy.!
Prefered month is May, nicest month of the year.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Probably Autumn. As mentioned, the scenery can be breathtaking - and ever changing. Wildlife is still generally active, fish are healthy.... one more reason (as yet unmentioned)...

It's the best time of year to catch the magical "last hour of light, first hour of dark". I'm generally home from work by 6pm, I can head to the river and get tackled and baited up by about 7, and then spend the next three hours fishing through the best time of the day.

Contrast that with mid summer... when it only starts to get dark at 9.30+....

OH, and another reason! The number of other bank-side users goes down. Very few boats, no swimmers, etc (fewer anglers too!). And that just carries on through the winter.

hyperdrive

Reaction score
I love just being out on the banks in the summer but autumn is best for fishing. I do enjoy the last couple of weeks of the season too.

mike47

Reaction score
It has to be high summer for me. Fishing in shorts and T-shirt, occasionally with the brolly up for protection, big carp cruising around, the margins cloudy and the surface like glass. I might add that an early morning start in summer can also be a delight, both in fishing terms and with nature showing at it's best.

Keith M

Reaction score
Autumn is the best time for me;

The fish are trying to put on weight before the really cold weather arrives, to see them through the colder months ahead, so will usually be feeding well.

The fine weather anglers have already started to disappear from the banks.

The river levels are usually up giving the rivers a good wash through washing silt and debris away with the increased flow.

The light levels have started to fall and the days are getting shorter while still retaining enough warmth to keep the fish feeding well and for longer.

The countryside looks superb with all its autumn colours.

My second choice would be late spring for all the reasons that Lord Paul has described.

Keith

Last edited:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"Fishing in shorts and T-shirt"
Remember to change into tweeds/cammo before you take a "Trophy" shot, or some people will swear blind you were in Canada...

rubio

Reaction score
Autumn. I think this one is when I finally catch that 2lber dog roach.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Autumn, and with a bit of luck we'll have the 'new' house sorted by the middle of next month so I can get back on the river bank..............

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
We anglers seem prone to wishing our lives away.
It'll soon be spring. It'll soon be Autumn.
Enjoy whatever the time.
Yes I'm drunk.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Each of the seasons have their own appeal, but I really relish getting out during the Winter... for me a Winter Carp is something special, I feel I've worked harder to achieve it.

I also like crisp Winter mornings on the cut with pole and likky bread and pinkies, or running a stick float off a center pin down to a raft of rubbish that harbours summat chubbish...!

Summer time has that wonderful early morning mugginess with the lure of a Tench from a lily pad strewn corner... or a surface caught carp on a steamy evening

But Autumn with it's riot of colour and cool mornings and late afternoon sun always promise bumper feeds form fish stocking up for the winter layover.... Misty mornings with a lobworm carefully placed for a marauding Perch, or a deadbait dropped into a likely looking pike lair... I don't really care, I just want to get out and fish:cool:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Winter for me. The banks are quieter, the weed has died back, those damn bloody leaves have gone and I can settle down and concentrate without being pestered by squabbling coots and geese. I can wrap up and take layers off if I get too hot and not roast to death like during the summer. Plus the days are shorter so I don't have to get up at silly o'clock or get in at midnight.

I like spring too before the weed gets going but summer and autumn you can keep. Never have done it for me even when I was a nipper doing my bankside apprenticeship. Of them all II like autumn the least.