Ivan Marks celebration and book launch

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
cover_image-0001_small.jpg

View image in gallery

Just a quick heads up on this event

Book Launch and Ivan Marks Celebration

The book? – Ivan Marks and The Likely Lads by Mark Wintle

Where? – The Parcel Yard pub, 48a London Road, adjacent Leicester Station. LE2 0QB - Public car parks nearby

When? – Saturday 7th November 2015, from noon, books on sale until 2pm.

Who’s going? – Most of the original Likely Lads plus Linda and Chris Marks will be there. Other top match anglers who fished with Ivan and who contributed to the book are invited. See you there.

The book details: 332 pages, hardback; standard copy £20, numbered cloth-bound (only 30 copies) £45. Also available from Calm Productions | Home from 25th October.

Last edited:

Harvey

Reaction score
I have read Ivan Marks, the people's champion, and I am certainly going to read this one.

andrew duffield

Reaction score
Good luck Mark the man's attitude was. A winner
I still tie all my loops for float fishing anf feeder with granny knots!![ as I saw the man do

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
I have read Ivan Marks, the people's champion, and I am certainly going to read this one.
So did I, and so will I.

I never met him but corresponded on matters float fishing (I still have some of the floats I bought from him) he was a charming man, generous with his advice.

Looking forward to reading the book.

Stu

trotter2

Reaction score
I can see the book is about Ivan
But does it disclose Ivan thoughts regarding the techniques he used and his discussions in the angling times columns ?.

How much technical stuff is in the book

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I just knew it would happen !!

Jerry moves north, and the book launches go with him ! I'm only surprised it's not at his ' local '.......I reckon Mark may have missed an opportunity to have hundreds at the party ! ( add a smilie or three here..)

Good luck with the launch Mark, and I hope sales exceed expectations !!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I can see the book is about Ivan
But does it disclose Ivan thoughts regarding the techniques he used and his discussions in the angling times columns ?.

How much technical stuff is in the book

Answer to first question - Yes. Plenty of technical stuff.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Well done on the book Mark, hopefully I will make to the book launch !!

Bob

sis the roach

Reaction score
hi there mark ivan was next to me on one of the winthorpe matches 300 peg we was pegged behinde the lake ivan asked me how deep it was i told him about 10ft he went over to the lake with his rod set up with a 3bb pacemaker float to shot it up ready for the start he came back it was set about 5ft deep its deeper than that i said he fished the match at that dept and won it with i think 14lbs this is innone of the write ups rod coldron anglers mail was the reporterit will be in the mails arkives sis rao

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thats odd, i just bought a Ivan Marks float yesterday in a junk shop, it had his name on it, that's why I bought it. £1.10
Good luck with the book.

stripey

Reaction score
Fantastic Mark !. will definitely be buying a copy,and as i am only 18 miles from Leicester will endeavour to be there at the launch, i met Ivan a number of times, in fact the club i used to be a member of used to hold matches against Mallory park AC, which was run by Ivan and Roy Marlow we had 3 matches per year, one on our local Ashby canal which we usually scraped a win,one on the Trent at various venues which were usually very close finishes and the last on the lake at Mallory park which we always lost by between 30/50lb,the first time i fished the match was on the trent i had Ivan down stream from me and Stan Peicha upstream, lost my bottle after about 15 mins ,couldn't stop thinking who i was next too !,finished with 8lb, Ivan weighed 18lb, Stan weighed 16lb,Ivan was a fantastic person, always approachable and always ready to give advice,and also very humourous, i remember at one match at Mallory Ivan drew a peg on gerrards bend which was one of the worst pegs to draw, so after a poor first hour decided to whip 2 x1oz Arsley bombs together and cast to the middle of the lake for the bream he didn't frame but put together a good weight, WHAT A GREAT MAN

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
He was a true hero of mine and it has been a privilege to work on this book. All of the Likely Lads have enjoyed recalling their glory days. The launch is shaping up to be a great event with plenty of publicity both locally and nationally. The publisher may have a few copies of my Big Roach 2 available on the day as well.