In Visible Waters - John Bailey

pcpaulh

Reaction score
I'm after a decent angling book to read, came across this on my search. I was wondering if anyone here has read it and what their opinoin is on the book? I know some of you have a lot of books so I might ask you about a few others aswell /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Christian

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Christian,

It is a fine book; some say, fairly or otherwise, that John Bailey's early books are the best for reading whereas the more recent ones are much more commercial.

It depends what sort of books you like? I am spoilt for choice with >500 fishing books; it would be nice to have time to read a few more!

Casting at the Sun by Yates is available at a reasonable cost now and worth a look.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
I love it Christian. I have read it 3 times and I am sure it will be read many times again. For me it is a bit of a nostalgia trip as many of the waters written about I have fished in the past. It is not a how to and tackle used it is more about the feelings and atmosphere and excitement.

Steve Handley

Reaction score
Probably his finest angling book after Roach: The Gentle Giants.

As Mark says, the earlier ones were some of his best work. You used to be able to find a lot of John Baileys books especiallythe earlier ones published by Crowood Press, selling at a discount price in those cheap book shops.

If you want a good read and not all the technical jargon, then go for any angling book by Chris Yates, who's in a league of his own amongst todays angling writers.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Cheers guys, sounds like the sort of thing I'm after. I read Chris Yates 'How To Fish'a few months backand really enjoyed it. Have since read it again. I've heard that it's not one of his best, might have to check out a few others.

Mark is this one of his more recent or older books?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Christian, presuming you are talking about Bailey not Yates:-

In Visible Waters dates from 1984 - an early Bailey book but Crowood issued a reprint fairly recently along with Bailey's roach and perch books.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Yes was talking about Bailey, thanks Mark.

I think I'll be ordering a copy up. Sounds like a decent book /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Christian, "Mega Pike the Return".

I'm not a "reader" I prefer pictures, but this book is awesome! I couldn't put it down!

Mark will be proud of me, I read all of it /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif