Hertfordshire day ticket water

Roto Fryer

Reaction score
I have been living in Thailand for the last 10 years or so and am paying a visit to St Albans/ Watford area in the next 10 days. Does anyone have any ideas for a not to difficult day ticket water for a few short sessions. i'll mostly be fishing from 5-9AM and 4-9PM.
Cheers in advance:D

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Willows lakes, Tyttenhanger green on the A414. Situated behind petrol station and La Farge gravel works. 07921 766581.
Used to be Bowmans. Now much improved..
AL4 0RY...

Roto Fryer

Reaction score
yep knew it when fish used to turn up at night in trucks

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Willows lakes, Tyttenhanger green on the A414. Situated behind petrol station and La Farge gravel works. 07921 766581.
Used to be Bowmans. Now much improved..
AL4 0RY...

Or you can drive up the A41 or around the M25 and try the Canal around Kings Langley, lady Capels and further towards Watford or try the lake at Welwyn Garden City next to the A1. These are all within 20 or so minutes away from St. Albans and I'm fairly sure that day tickets are available at all of these venues.

Unfortunately the old Frogmoore (moor mill) in Park Street and Elstree Reservoir at Elstree are no longer fishable on a day ticket unless you are fishing with a Verulum A.C. member.

Or if you plan to stay in the St. Albans area longer you can do much worse than actually join Verulum A.C. (Like I did quite a few years ago) and have some excellent fishing on your doorstep as well as approx 18 to 20 other venues around Herts, Beds and Essex some of which have record breaking and record nudging fish in them (see link below)

http://www.verulam-angling.co.uk/Fisheries.htm

Keith

Last edited:

peter crabtree

Reaction score
The lake at Welwyn next to the A1 ? Stanborough? Day ticket but hard and matches are on Thursday and Sunday..You can however fish the Lea which runs alongside on the same ticket...I know what I'd do.....

Keith M

Reaction score
I haven't fished Stanborough lake for quite a few years Peter, but it always used to be an easy Carp and Bream water when we used to be members a few years ago so it's news to me that it has now become a hard water.

NB. I remember watching Ivan Marks fish two opens on Stanborough lake; once he was fishing the first swim next to the boatyard fence which always used to be one of the easiest Carp swims on the lake, and the second time he was fishing on the river side of the lake but about half way down, and it goes without saying Ivan had a few Carp on both occasions amongst a good bag of Bream.

It's a pity Stanborough lake has become such a hard Carp water these days, I didn't realise.

Keith.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

Reaction score
Keith, I don't fish for carp at all these days. My reference to Stanborough being hard was based on the matches I fished there last year, mainly for bream and skimmers. That may have been down to the fact there were 20 odd anglers on there at once. but we all struggled a bit.