Fishin, bait-making and modifying tackle - Me?

fishplate42

Reaction score

me? up at this time? Fishing? ... Nah!

Who would have thought that a year on I would be planning lone fishing trips, making my own bait and modifying useless gear into useful tackle?

Not me. If you have read my blog, you will know that I was meant to be the gopher in this fishing partnership with my little brother (not so little but he is only 50). As it turned out, he was not as committed as I thought he would be and has not been out for months.

Me, on the other hand, caught the bug and now really enjoy all aspects of fishing. I still cant believe that I have found a new interest at my time of life that has really got me enthusiastic about something I had absolutely no interest in as a kid or throughout my adult life until a year ago. The whole story is detailed on my blog and the latest posts record successful fishing trips, bait making and the modification of useless bits of cheap kit into something that has a practical value.

My old cheap pole converted into a cupping pole

But the biggest boost to my fishing has been that the last couple of times I have been pleasure fishing (now I am a seasoned matchman - I am three matches under my belt!) I have been catching so many fish that other angler around the lake are no asking me what bait I am using - who'd have thought that!

Here's to another year and as the weather gets colder, some new experiences as I did not get out much last autumn/winter. If you want to read more about my bait-making and other fishing adventures it is all written up on my blog.

Ralph ;)

greenie62

Reaction score
...Who would have thought that a year on I would be planning lone fishing trips, making my own bait and modifying useless gear into useful tackle?...

Good on yer Ralph,
Really good write-up on your Blog - highly recommended read. I like the sound of your 'Ginger Tom' recipe - glad to hear it's successful too!
Might be worth approaching Aldi to see if you can get Match Sponsorship! ;):D

Keep up the good work - must be a strain enjoying yourself so much! :rolleyes::D

Tight Lines :thumbs:

Harvey

Reaction score
I had a quick glance at your blog. Will read carefully in days to come. Nice photos!

john step

Reaction score
Glad you have caught the bug. Unfortunately there is no cure. The next thing you know you will be peering over every bridge into every brook and water course just in case you can see a fishy movement!!
I note you didn't get out so much in the colder times. Those well stocked waters you fish can offer great winter perch fishing when the carp etc slow down.
Worm or small dead/livebait will score.
There is a perch competition again this year here on FM.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Glad you have caught the bug. Unfortunately there is no cure. The next thing you know you will be peering over every bridge into every brook and water course just in case you can see a fishy movement!!

... Nope, can't find any there :eek:

Ralph

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I note you didn't get out so much in the colder times. Those well stocked waters you fish can offer great winter perch fishing when the carp etc slow down.
Worm or small dead/livebait will score.
There is a perch competition again this year here on FM.

Yep and stopping at the merest hint of water on the most difficult of roads to stop on , Journyes can become quite extended when you start noticing all the little bridges you cross . :eek:mg:

And the big impressive bridges that have less than a tap dribble running under them ..:wh

Been there get the impatient horn from other motorists and the fingers fishing blinkers nightmare devices ..

PG ...