Hello

lurch706

Reaction score
Hello from across the big pond. My name is John and I live in N.E. Georgia. I really enjoy reading this forum and learning new tactics. I am a very avid bait fisherman. The tactics I have learned from this and other European fishing sites have increased my catch rate by 200%. I am outfishing everybody now!!!!!

lurch706

Reaction score
Welcome John, what do you fish for?

Carp, crappie, yellow perch, what we call bream over here(blue gill, red breast), catfish, trout, creek chubs, ..... Pretty much anything I can catch using some form of bait. I am not a big fan of throwing lures, even though I do fly fish on occasion. Two of the main lakes I fish are Hartwell and Richard B. Russell They are on the Georgia/ South Carolina border. If you get bored look them up just to get an idea of their size. I am strictly a bank fisherman and I use strictly rods I have ordered from England or from a couple dealers we have over here that specialize in European gear.

Last edited:

slaphead

Reaction score
Welcome on board, John.

You listen to music? My favourite band hails from Atlanta - Blackberry Smoke.

theartist

Reaction score
Carp, crappie, yellow perch, what we call bream over here(blue gill, red breast), catfish, trout, creek chubs, ..... Pretty much anything I can catch using some form of bait. I am not a big fan of throwing lures, even though I do fly fish on occasion. Two of the main lakes I fish are Hartwell and Richard B. Russell They are on the Georgia/ South Carolina border. If you get bored look them up just to get an idea of their size. I am strictly a bank fisherman and I use strictly rods I have ordered from England or from a couple dealers we have over here that specialize in European gear.

Welcome Lurch and fair play for using methods learned on here to success on your waters. I hope you realize that some of the waters we fish are less than the length of one's rod, so when we recommend casting to a far bank feature don't try it on your lakes :) - I've just googled Richard B Russell lake and its got a shore length of 869 km :eek::eek::eek:

lurch706

Reaction score
Welcome Lurch and fair play for using methods learned on here to success on your waters. I hope you realize that some of the waters we fish are less than the length of one's rod, so when we recommend casting to a far bank feature don't try it on your lakes :) - I've just googled Richard B Russell lake and its got a shore length of 869 km :eek::eek::eek:
Hartwell is even bigger with 1548 km of shoreline. The unique feature about Russell is the water coming out of Hartwell dam is 52 degrees F year round. This makes a very nice fishery and the fact that there are no houses on there either, it is surrounded by woods.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I thought someone was having a laugh until I saw Russell lake is 26,000 acres, and man made only in 1974 by the US Corp of Engineers !!

What I love is the Corp owns 300' of bank width to stop private/ commercial use of it's banks which run for 500 odd miles. Great stuff !!

How deep would these lakes be, lurch and how did they stock it with fish??

ps A Warm welcome to you, and good to see the exchange of information between fellow anglers................

Last edited:

lurch706

Reaction score
I thought someone was having a laugh until I saw Russell lake is 26,000 acres, and man made only in 1974 by the US Corp of Engineers !!

What I love is the Corp owns 300' of bank width to stop private/ commercial use of it's banks which run for 500 odd miles. Great stuff !!

How deep would these lakes be, lurch and how did they stock it with fish??

ps A Warm welcome to you, and good to see the exchange of information between fellow anglers................

Hartwell is around 180 feet deep at the dam and Russell around 150 feet deep at the dam. Both lakes have largemouth bass, white bass, striped bass, hybrid bass, crappie, bluegill, shellcrackers, yellow perch, carp, longnose gar, flathead catfish, blue catfish, channel catfish, and the upper reaches of both lakes have some trout and walleye.