Winter togs, gearing up…

B

binka

What’s everyone doing in terms of gearing up with their winter togs?

Mine have got a bit battered over the last couple of seasons and it’s time to renew but I don’t like one piece suits or the big heavy coats that come with the bib ‘n brace two piece suits.

Instead I’ve gone for a heavy bib ‘n brace under which I will wear a onesie type of base layer (a bit like a giant baby romper suit) because I don’t like tight fitting thermals and even merino wool tends to make me sweat, a heavy jumper over that should then see me right for the majority of sessions with the addition of a heavy fleece over that if things are really parky.

Some new merino wool socks (my feet never sweat in winter), gloves and a thick wooly snood to complement the whole ensemble but there will be no compromise on the hat though :)

I’ve still got my original Sundridge Igloo Mk I jacket which, despite many years of wear is as good as new, if I need it for wet weather.

Anyone else doing anything any different this time around?

And any recommendations for the heavy fleece zip up jacket, preferably with a hood?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Got my winter gear sorted out some time ago and I shall not be adding to it this year. Not being a total nutter like some I rarely need a heavy outer layer. I always take a coat but rarely wear it. I'm normally perfectly OK with my beloved Simms thermals as a base layer topped off with an ancient [but still good as new] pair of ESP salopettes.

Add to that as many fleeces as conditions dictate and a combined snood/hood. Sorted.

It might be different if I did wet but I don't....other than by accident.

smudger172

Reaction score
I will be wearing my korum thermal two piece again this year as its the warmest suit i have ever owned coupled with sorel boots i am all set...

Cant get on with those onesie things, the zip doesn't seem to undo low enough leaving me to struggle to get my old mate out.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Never mind getting your old chap out. They onesies are a nightmare should you need to crimp one off. I've laid a few bankside mines in me time and its always a bit of a lottery if you happen to be wearing a one piece.......or worse, chest waders !

I've not scored an own goal yet but I've had a couple cleared off the line !

Last edited:
B

binka

Nerve mind getting your old chap out. They onesies are a nightmare should you need to crimp one off. I've laid a few bankside mines in me time and its always a bit of a lottery if you happen to be wearing a one piece.......or worse, chest waders !

I've not scored an own goal yet but I've had a couple cleared off the line !

Now there's a good point Skip, I wonder if they do 'em in crotchless? :eek:mg:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Now there's a good point Skip, I wonder if they do 'em in crotchless? :eek:mg:

Dunno, Steve.....but hoodless is a must. There was a story in Waterlog years ago about Peter Wheat field testing an early one piece when he had occasion to visit the bushes for a spot of mine laying. So the story goes when he turned round to admire his handiwork ( like you do) that said mine was nowhere to be seen. This was obviously somewhat disturbing until he realised he'd laid one in the hood of his onesie. There is no way back from that.

Great story and I've never forgotten it. The first thing I did with my NWAC fleecy one piece ( about 8 squid in 1973) was to cut the hood off to avoid following in the footsteps of Brother Peter.

And if its not true it ought to be .I believe it is though. Be warned !

hyperdrive

Reaction score
For me it's a thermal long sleeved tee shirt and long johns that you can buy in most high streets, then to a workwear shop for quilted shirt, thermal overalls and work trousers if it's cold enough. Then I have a lightweight pac a mac style jacket and trousers in my bag in case it rains. Ex military socks and a good pair of hiking boots. All topped off with a fleece beanie hat. That's me done and have never gone home early because of being cold. I do have a close fitting fleece jacket to put under the coveralls if I choose to wear standard coveralls depending on what the day is like but it's not often I wear that.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I don't have time for all this namby pamby stuff, us Northern pike anglers are rock hard, HA, HA.

Seriously though, nothing special in the gear I have always worn. No thermals etc except for a marine poncho for those occasions when it's wet. A good piece of kit for the mobile angler.