Weird fishing invention

theartist

Reaction score
I know there was a thread about bonkers inventions a while back but a recent trip lead me to a bit of improvisation which when tweaked could become a useful bit of kit - well until you guys point out all the pitfalls that someone who has had a couple of beers like myself has obviously failed to spot. In which case it would be bonkers and I apologise for wasting time you could be spending watching our football teams conquer europe :D

The other day when fishing I had them bubbling on a slow river but there was just enough flow for the float to drift in each time despite my best attempts at holdbackery. How many times have we been trotting and extended that arm just to get the extra bit of control? Not this time as on the bank was a broken pole section someone had discarded, so I put that over the butt of my rod and extended the rod out at least a further four feet. The anti reverse was off and the clutch was set light in case something big ripped the whole lot in, plus the margins were very shallow so if I dropped it or the pole section snapped I could retrieve it no problems. I was only mucking about but it did work well enabling me to hold the float still at the distance I was catching and whilst I still caught the same It was the equivalent to wading out four feet which would have spooked the fish in the slow clear water.

So there you have it when tweaked so that it doesn't end in tears - 'The Pole Rod Arm' a custom extension that turns a 13ft rod into say a 17-20ft rod when needed, cast as normal then attach extension, strike and just unship the extension and reel in. I know one could use a pole or feeder but this would just be to give a quick change on the spot.

I know I'm missing something but it did actually work quite well despite having to strike gingerly to avoid the reel spinning or rod falling out, maybe the anti reverse could be on as it won't fall out when it's custom fitted.

Dragons Den or lunatic asylum??:confused:

Last edited:

Lark

Reaction score
Not unreasonable...... Snooker players certainly warmed to the idea of temporary add-on sections.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I supect that there are easier ways to achieve what you want. Using a longer rod in the first place would seem the obvious one. I have a bit of a thing for long rods, I really enjoy using them. However, it often seems that I'm in a very small minority in this. I suspect that a combination of cost, and the common perception that you need to be built like Arnie to use anything 15' or over for any length of time, puts many off. I'm not built like the proverbial door, but I regularly use 17' rods all day.

However, without going for long rods, there are other ways. Give the Cralusso Bolo and Surf floats a look. Both are designed to stay on track and not come back into the nearside bank. Strange to fish with and take a bit of getting used to. They can be damned effective though.

rubio

Reaction score
I think my choice would be a heavier float initially. I have invested in a bolo rod in last couple of years but use it only rarely. My 15ft rod is often with me tho.
Never tried the Surf floats but I do like the idea. Looks like a great way to trot a livebait for pike.

theartist

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys I too like using longer rods but my idea comes from having that extra bit of length at the drop of a hat with a rod already set up. A heavier float with a bolo would have been a bit crude for the small, shallow dyke I was on and I didn't have one anyway as was on a short session whilst on holiday.

Did look at those Cralusso floats but I think I recall they were quite pricey and wouldn't like to lose them as much as my home made floats disappear over a season.

The snooker comparison is a good one although I'm not gonna wear upside down glasses though :)

smudger172

Reaction score
What would be the correct way to proceed and protect your idea, if you have a fishing invention that you wanted to either market yourself, or sell the idea to a manufacturer.
From what i can read patients are quite costly. Is there another way.

rubio

Reaction score
I believe the standard cheapskate method is to write yourself a letter detailing everything. Once a multi-conglomerate steals and develops your product - you pounce and sue for millions, after having a notary open and witness it for you. A solicitor would be more costly and point out you haven't got a snowballs chance in hell of getting any money, glory or recognition.
And to this day no-one knows It was I who first said "WAIT! Slice that bread, and only then put it in the bag."

theartist

Reaction score
I believe the standard cheapskate method is to write yourself a letter detailing everything. Once a multi-conglomerate steals and develops your product - you pounce and sue for millions, after having a notary open and witness it for you. A solicitor would be more costly and point out you haven't got a snowballs chance in hell of getting any money, glory or recognition.
And to this day no-one knows It was I who first said "WAIT! Slice that bread, and only then put it in the bag."

Or put it on here for others to laugh at..

Oh by the way for future reference my invention will be called the 'Butt inserter 2000' with the tagline "Fits any butt and guaranteed to turn any small rod into a large pole" :D