New reel

DJTash2009

Reaction score
I'm after a new reel for general course fishing, the reels I have at the minute are baitrunners and are a little too heavy on the wrists.
I'm after something a little lighter in the range of about £40/50 with nice smooth drag. If any of you have some suggestions it would be great.
Thank you in advance :)

Lark

Reaction score
As always, it depends on the type of methods/species that you're targeting.

As a rule, I tend not to get involved in recommending reels, rods, lines etc. as they're so subjective and are supported by a huge range of manufacturers, model/style variants and price range. Also, they tend to be subject to immense tackle snobbery!

That said....... Last year I veered away from my usual preference of FD reels and bought a couple of Drennan Series 7's.

At around £38 they are absolutely superb in quality and design. Three sensible capacity spools (1 alloy, 2 composite) in a size range to suit most general fishing requirements.
They also boast some very neat (and useful) little design quirks.

Very much a personal choice thing...... but definitely worth a look.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

DJTash2009

Reaction score
Hi, it will be just general course fishing, with the odd carp to about 20lb....ish
The general size of fish I get from the lake I fish are about 8/9lb so something with a nice smooth drag would be great.
I will have a look at drennan you mentioned, sounds like a good option.
I totally understand why your a bit reluctant to discuss rods, reels ect. I was just hoping for a bit of tries and tested reviews rather than the spiel you get from the manufacturer

naxian62

Reaction score
I'll second what Lark says about the Drennans, been using one solidly for the last 2 years without fault. Probably gonna get myself another one.

caelan

Reaction score
why don't you have a look at the drennan series 7 very light on your wrists
an you can pick them up for around 40pound well it was last season when I got one from gone fishing in Essex I think

DJTash2009

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys will have a look at the drennan now.
This is exactly what I was after, after looking for days without a clue what I was looking for haha.