''An affinity for a species or method''

wanderer

Reaction score
Yes Derek, for me it has always been Tench, why, childhood memories of the bubbles and that float slipping away, love it, summer mornings , first light and a fizzing Tench water, sod the carp, that was heaven.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Derek

It's " Perch " for me and the sunken paternoster small Livebait rig.

I spend most of the Autumn and Winter fishing for the species, interspersed with a bit of Chub fishing.

The Biggest fish of All !!

Bob

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Chub. Fearful, greedy, cautious - my soul-brother fish.
Got a new method you want to try? Chub will soon evaluate it for you.
Trying to get someone their first rod-bender without it being a carp?
Worried about your bankside stealth? Ask a small-river chub - if you can find one. If you can't, you were right to worry...

Keith M

Reaction score
I have an affinity with Tench fishing, It conjures up my memories of early summer mornings that I've spent on lilly strewn estate lakes with clouds of tiny bubbles slowly moving across my swim, and my float lifting and/or sliding away and the arm aching fight that nearly always follows. It's Just pure Magic!
I will never tire of catching Tench, large or small.

Catching Barbel nearly under my feet on a small stream comes a very close second, especially in clear water when I can see the fish clearly jostling on the bottom near my bait right under my nose, and the nerve shattering fight that immediately follows the rod wrenching take; I will never tire of that either.

Keith

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Barbel for me, the fight, and the beauty of a pristine fish where size is no longer a concern for me, another reason is and some will disagree here is that they can be difficult to catch at times.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Probably grayling and definitely trotting. I rarely catch anything particularly special doing it, but I still end up doing it regardless.

seth49

Reaction score
At the moment it's floater fishing for carp.really like watching them come up and take the bait.
Or totally ignore it whilst taking the rest.
But when the leaves have gone,I will be trotting the river for grayling and chub.

Lark

Reaction score
Roach.

Unfortunately not doing too well around this part of the world.

There is a a particular noise, almost a 'pop', when you hook a decent roach whilst stick float fishing - it doesn't seem to happen with other species.

A mature roach in good condition seems to encompass every aspect of every feature that is admired in other species.

trotter2

Reaction score
Probably Dace with me, keeping them feeding, altering the presentation, building up a match weight .

B

binka

Perch for me.

Not least because it was the first fish I caught on rod and line, it's also an awesome site to stare at those dark olive green and black bars contrasting against the bright orange and red fins.

Favourite method is generally trotting or anything that involves float fishing with worms.

Gudgeon also hold a fondness...

smudger172

Reaction score
Pike for me.

Although i enjoy fishing for most species except carp. The pike is the one i favour most. After a lot of years fishing for them, i still get a buzz when an indicator lifts or float dissapears.

Harvey

Reaction score
I do love the roach, and I spend lots and lots of time fishing for them. And maybe even more time searching for new big roach venues.

I don't know exactly why I'm so obsessed with roach. They are held in regard by the microscopic (in my country) community of coarseanglers, but very few of them seem to spends much time fishing for roach. And roach are generally hated by the rest of the angling community. They are considered a pest by the troutanglers (fluffers in particular). Maybe it's my noncomformist personality shining through.

One of my first catches as a coarse angler was a beautiful pound and something roach. It was love at first sight.

peterjg

Reaction score
ROACH - are there other species? Favourite method - laying-on.

tincatim

Reaction score
From a misty eyed reminiscent point of view, it's got to be the Tench. I grew up fishing a wonderful lily pad filled lake that held some very nice examples. They weren't easy to catch which made them all the more special. Apart from their sheer beauty and power, I think it's the conditions in which they're caught in that makes them extra special. Early summer mornings, mist on the water, lily pads, fizzing bubbles getting closer to your float...

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I go through phases. My obsession for the past few winters has been zander. Why ? Cos they were different and offered a new challenge.

At various other times its been tench, barbel and roach . I also love me trouting and sea trouting and wish I could do a lot more of that than I do. I am fond of a bit of crucian or grayling fishing too but I regard those as occasional treats rather than an obsession. Very handsome fish though....I'll never tire of catching either.

Method ? I love trotting but I don't do it anything like as much as I used to or ought too. That said I do enjoy fishing a lead as well but trotting is my favourite.

Carp,chub,bream,perch and pike don't grab my attention at all.....probably because I never target them deliberately so whenever I catch them to my mind they are nuisance fish no matter how big.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Tench hotly followed by Crucians for me , Tench they put up quite a fight the last one i caught i was just not ready for it grabbed the hook and did a carp on it accross the pool Crucian they fight way above their size .

PG ..

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
No surprises from me, I caught my first pike back in 1952 along with a number of perch, and ''they'' have remained constant throughout my fishing life. The only change has been that back in the day my pike fishing was confined to the traditional Winter period. Nowadays I'll happily pike fish throughout whenever I feel conditions are condusive to pike welfare.

Might I say, I have really enjoyed reading these posts, thank's guys.