The Big Pits

wanderer

Reaction score
Okay guys, you are faced with a huge expanse of water, under populated windswept and nothing showing, where do we start. I will tell you what has worked for me in the past and then ask you to submit your own remedies. First starting place for me is the bank the prevailing westerly wind hits 90 percent of the year. Map the underwater features with a marker rod or smartcast to about 70 yards and prebait heavily for about two weeks on any feature visible or submerged. Grid your lake into sections and work your way down, could take months, but I never expect quick results. Islands or inlet feeder streams are natural fish holding areas and fish shows are worth noting, especially if they are regular. Towards spawning I have found the fish move to the bank opposite the prevailing wind, God knows why, but its true, what are your theories.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
On a dammed lake, old maps may show the course of the original river; big bends will be separated by ridges, and the margins will slope more steeply where the old stream ran close to the modern bank - that can give you a few leads without leaving the warmth of the local library.

greenie62

Reaction score
Another research-based method is to look-up match results for the lake to see whereabouts the framing pegs were - although not neccessarily a sign of quality fish - just the ones that turned-up on the day! ;)
Tight Lines!

thecrow

Reaction score
If its a gravel pit with the associated clear water google earth would be my first port of call, lots of features are easily seen using it for this type of water.

Philip

Reaction score
I have fished some really big waters and if there is nothing else to go on then the first thing I usually do is look to see if there are any obvious fingers to the lake that end in shallower bays with reeds/weeds/pads/snags etc and start from there

On Dammed lakes I’ll generally make a bee line for the opposite shallow end first. These are often reliable areas…. although not always best for the biggest fish.

Having said that, obviously pays to do somehome work first if you know its going to be huge & rock hard.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Word of mouth, catch reports, go along and watch the water, climb trees, look for cleared swims/evidence of fishing, have a lead about, look for signs of feeding in margins....