Do you like my new wheels?

fishplate42

Reaction score
Well they are not really 'new' just their use. I am off to a fishery I have not been to before and it might be a bit of a trek to the peg. Not wanting to splash out on a trolley/barrow just yet as I am not 100% sure what type I will need. Instead I decided to make use of our sack truck...

I am sure a single wheel barrow will be better in the long run but for now this will do. You can see more pictures and details HERE. It looks ungainly but even just mocked up in the back garden for the photograph it behaves much better than I thought it would and if I keep the weight low down in the stack it should be fairly stable so long as the ground is not too rough. Tomorrow will be its first outing - we will see.

Ralph

Harvey

Reaction score
I luv it. Two more wheels and a motor, and you're there.

Use what you have and modify it for your own purpose. That's the way forward.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Very good I cycle to fish so I do something similar I think your cardboard tubes might not cope with the rain , they do tubes in most tackle shops though not the same diameter

greenie62

Reaction score
Nice one Ralph,
- and not a scrap of Meccano in sight! :eek::eek:mg::D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I agree on the height to weight ' low down ' ratio for stability, and possibly resolved by pushing the wheels out another 100mm....

In fact, wider wheels plus a bit of go fast tape and you'll have the GT model !!

All very neat though and nice to see a bit of ingenuity, so I hope it works well.............

robertroach

Reaction score
Looks really good to me.
I have been thinking about getting some sort of trolley or barrow. My stuff doesn't seem to becoming any lighter and my ageing body is feeling the strain of carrying my gear.
I can't seem to get to a solution which involves getting it all over the stiles and gates I have to negotiate when I go to the river. It will be too heavy to lift it up and over in one go, and to unpack it all and repack it the other side would be a pain.
I try to carry less, but in the winter when you want to take an umbrella, it all gets heavy again.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind words.

The make-shift 'shifter' did its job on Sunday and I didn't do too bad. Fifth overall and third in the carp pool.

It was interesting fishing a match at a venue I had never been to before. There is more on my blog about the day for anyone who is interested.

As Far as the barrow is concerned it will be useful but I think a single wheel version will be much easier to 'drive'. The only trouble is you need both hands to man-handle single wheeler. My sack barrow can be dragged with one hand while carrying something else in the other. Next outing for the barrow this Friday!

Ralph.