River Great Ouse Huntingdon/Godmanchester/Houghton Mill

Reaction score
Was wondering where i could target my first ever barbel, im determined to catch one from huntingdon godmanchester or houghton mill, from any small weir pool im going to try on Sunday at Houghton Mill anybody know if there has ever been any barbel caught from there??

john step

Reaction score
Was wondering where i could target my first ever barbel, im determined to catch one from huntingdon godmanchester or houghton mill, from any small weir pool im going to try on Sunday at Houghton Mill anybody know if there has ever been any barbel caught from there??

I did catch some years ago in the weir pool near St.Neots. It was the pool that runs alongside the road. I can't remember the name though.

As an aside. You want to catch your first barbel. I hope they are still there in sufficient numbers but I must point out that I have spoken to anglers who journey across from Norfolk and Cambridgeshire to fish the Trent where the chances are good.

Reaction score
Thanks John, i know my mate caught 3 barbel in an evening session from the triple weir pool in st.neots but so many snags in there its hard to fish, so im trying my hand at Offord Cluny Mill smaller weir pools, ive seen photos back in 2010 of barbel, the impression i get from their group page and from a angler i spoke to on the bank, no one goes for barbel there he said ''if no one goes for them how do they know they are not there'' i think people stopped trying thinking they are in decline due to otters, but im determined and will rise to the challenge to catch my first barbel and to catch it where no one thinks it possible to get them no more just because i believe... if all fails ill resort to st.neots and try till i find a good spot..

john step

Reaction score
Thanks John, i know my mate caught 3 barbel in an evening session from the triple weir pool in st.neots but so many snags in there its hard to fish, so im trying my hand at Offord Cluny Mill smaller weir pools, ive seen photos back in 2010 of barbel, the impression i get from their group page and from a angler i spoke to on the bank, no one goes for barbel there he said ''if no one goes for them how do they know they are not there'' i think people stopped trying thinking they are in decline due to otters, but im determined and will rise to the challenge to catch my first barbel and to catch it where no one thinks it possible to get them no more just because i believe... if all fails ill resort to st.neots and try till i find a good spot..

Good luck and please let us know how you got on.

grayhamb

Reaction score
john step this is my new forum account im gbbarbelhunter i can now tell you how i got on in my barbel quest, i am pleased to announce that i caught a barbel from st.neots weir pool, it was only 2lb but i was over the moon! now my only quest is to catch a bigger one but im doing it the hard way, im trying to catch one from offord mill pool where they havent had one out since 2011, ive been on this mission all season i did manage a new PB chub though of 6lb 5oz so delighted with that, i caught an eel too also regularly catch 5lb bream, think i need a evening session there though ive located the hot spots by local knowledge and thanks to the last barbel capture and the barbel society too, so wish me luck in the bigger barbel quest!