''Angling Innovators''

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
For example the ''Electric bite alarm'', for which **** Walker should take much credit.

The ''Swing Tip'', pioneered by Jack Clayton of Boston.

''Bait Droppers'', still much in use I understand. The first example I could discover was in the 1880s on the mighty River Trent.

Have any of these had a major impact on ''your'' fishing. Many of todays refinements can be traced back to these origins, once again confirming there's nowt new in angling.

thecrow

Reaction score
I think that the 2 most used "modern" innovations are boilies and the use of pellets, the boilie idea of Fred Wilton has though been taken over by bait manufacturers and a lot of the baits produced bear no resemblance to the original boilies.

Pellets have been a very successful bait but I have no idea who first started using them as bait, I would be interested in what weight is sold to anglers during a season.

On the subject of "nothing being new in angling" one of the biggest misconceptions is that the "hair rig" is a modern invention, it isn't and was being used many many years before the Carp fishers started to use it.

greenie62

Reaction score
..... one of the biggest misconceptions is that the "hair rig" is a modern invention, it isn't and was being used many many years before the Carp fishers started to use it.

So - who was the innovator? - and when?

thecrow

Reaction score

No idea who it was or when but I do know that match anglers used it to thread maggots onto cotton on the river Severn during the 60s, I know because I saw it done on Dudley AS waters. I wouldn't say there is nothing new in angling but there are very few things that haven't been used before and then improved on.

The "bolt rig is also nothing new just something that has been improved upon, when I was younger ( much younger :)) I couldn't afford leads and so I improvised by tying threaded nuts onto my line making the rig a fixed lead rig, of course I had no idea at that young age that it was in fact a death rig it did however catch me a lot of perch from the many clayholes that used to be in this area.

This a copy of part of a piece from Lee Swords blog where he interviews Ron Clay.

Modern techniques? Most are just minor modifications on what we were perfecting in the 60s. I often laugh like hell when some young buck claims that he has invented a new technique. The most dangerous thing to claim in angling is that you have invented something. For instance the hair rig must go back 80 years and the bolt rig back as far as 1940. I described a form of bolt rig that was being used in South Africa in the May 1974 issue of Angling Telegraph, as I have said nothing is new in angling.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
I understand the hair rig was used by native americans for centuries.

The method feeder, like crows bolt rig was also used in a similar manner by fen match anglers in the sixties, I used to see guys moulding groundbait aroung alesley bombs in order to get some interest nearer the hookbait.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes indeed !
I saw chaps fishing Thames weirs back in the 60's with very solid ground bait moulded around smallish sea fishing weights with ' spikes ' protruding from them. It seemed to me then that the groundbait represented the majority of the weight which then held bottom in the slower water near /under the sills etc
Made one helluva splash as it hit the water !!

Personally, I tended to fish the smooth water well above the weir where my dainty porcupine floats could just about cope with the flow. Too young and inexperienced to know any better !

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Derek

Nylon line, Fixed Spool reels, Boilies and the hair rig.

Boilies had been around for a while before Fred came up with HNV Boilie and I think Kevin Maddocks and Lenny Middleton are the accepted innovators of the modern hair rig !!

But how many angler in the 1950tys had the 4ft twitch on a centrepin and cane rod whilst Barbel fishing, using luncheon meat on the hook, the first bolt rig ?

Bob

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
No idea but the first reference to a rig where the bait was fixed in front of the hook(s) that I saw was by Richard Walker in an artcle about deadbaiting for pike in the late 60's (I think). The fish was tied to a 'hair', the idea being that if the Pike wolfed it down, the hooks would be behind and so lessen the chance of deep hooking.

I also saw (and used) very similar 'hair' rigs for chub in the mid 70's to try to deal with whiplash, unhittable, bites. Marginally better!

I suspect that the idea behind the all conquering hair is much older than that!

Stu

john step

Reaction score
Stu, interesting that Walker wrote of a hair on pike rigs. I have been using these at times during the last few years. I had no idea he had thought of it.
I use green garden twine for the hair which I feel is soft and undetectable.

B

binka

Slightly off the beaten track I think that, in terms of comfort, Octoplus played a major part in things with their adjustable everything which seemed to be the early pioneer of many similar ideas relating to independent, height adjustable seat box legs and chairs, etc.

I don't really recall anyone prior to them who were pushing a similar system in the early nineties.

That old retro scaffolding might not be at the business end of things but it would certainly help me catch more if I could spend longer on the bank due to being completely comfortable.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Nylon line is the greatest innovation of the last 100 years!

True Mark, but there is a pattern here. First it was Horsehair, then silk lines which dominated for many years until the advent of nylon.

Now we have high tech Braids which have made inroads into the nylon monopoly. And like it or not they ''do'' offer certain advantages, ie finer diameters for a given BS. They come in floating or sinking examples, and they are marginally more abrasive resistant than mono.

Sorry to play devils advocate, but it's evident to me after 20years of use that braid is here to stay, and will take the place of mono eventually.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Derek,

I hope not, I hate the stuff !!

How about Del Romany of Delkim fame, they were the first to produce an alarm that really worked in all weathers, with the conversions ?

Bob

trotter2

Reaction score
Yes I agree nylon line would be the single greatest invention followed by the threadline line reel and the carbon rod.

robtherake

Reaction score

Got an old angling book on pdf that showed the historical use of the hair rig and boilies dating from mediaeval times, believe it or not. I'll see if I can find it, although it may be on my old hard drive, in which case it's effectively lost.

This is quite an interesting article, showing the use of hair and bolt rigs as early as the 40s. You may need to translate it - the original's in German. http://www.fischundfang.de/Service/Rueckblende/Wer-erfand-den-Boilie

---------- Post added at 11:34 ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 ----------

[/COLOR]
True Mark, but there is a pattern here. First it was Horsehair, then silk lines which dominated for many years until the advent of nylon.

Now we have high tech Braids which have made inroads into the nylon monopoly. And like it or not they ''do'' offer certain advantages, ie finer diameters for a given BS. They come in floating or sinking examples, and they are marginally more abrasive resistant than mono.

Sorry to play devils advocate, but it's evident to me after 20years of use that braid is here to stay, and will take the place of mono eventually.

There may always be a place for mono. Apart from the lack of stretch, braid's biggest drawback is its tendency to "fur up" when there's a lot of suspended particulate matter, making it stick out like a sore thumb. Perhaps a mono-like product more similar to Berkley Nanofil (but more user-friendly) will end up taking the place of standard monofilament.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
The swing tip was a big move forward in the 50s, invented by Boston tackle dealer Jack Clayton.

Who invented the swim feeder, how long have they been used?

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
Slightly off the beaten track I think that, in terms of comfort, Octoplus played a major part in things with their adjustable everything which seemed to be the early pioneer of many similar ideas relating to independent, height adjustable seat box legs and chairs, etc.

I don't really recall anyone prior to them who were pushing a similar system in the early nineties.

That old retro scaffolding might not be at the business end of things but it would certainly help me catch more if I could spend longer on the bank due to being completely comfortable.

Did Korum set off the accessory chair trend? I suppose it was a natural progression from the box-based Octoplus system, but it's an innovative product, all the same.
Chemical lights for bite indication get my vote - no more squinting at a 500 microlambert float tip with its attendant optical illusions.
Bait catties are another product we take for granted, yet we'd be lost without them in some situations.

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 ----------

The swing tip was a big move forward in the 50s, invented by Boston tackle dealer Jack Clayton.

No pun intended? :)

keora

Reaction score
Here's an open letter which **** Walker wrote in 1983.

" I have long since abandoned false modesty, and there's an old saying that if you don't blow your own trumpet, nobody else will blow it for you. So this week, I'm going to blow mine, by asking some questions. Here they come!

1. Who wrote the first book about Stillwater fishing, with special reference to the problems of catching specimen fish?
2. Who designed and built the first satisfactory carp rod and has been designing carp rods, in cane at first, then fibreglass, and now carbon fibre, with calculated tapers, ever since?
3. Who designed and made the first net big enough to hold a 50Ib fish, yet light enough to be used with one hand?
4. Who invented the electric bite alarm?
5. Who invented the Arlesey bomb, now to be found in nearly every coarse fish anglers box?
6. Who devised the combination of paste and crust that produced a slow sinking bait that would come to rest on silkweed or soft mud?
7. Who invented vanes, like dart flights, for float tops, visible at long range and able to make use of the wind to take a bait to the right place? These vanes are now used by many Pike fishers.
8. Who invented a type of rod rest that ensured that the line would not be trapped between the rod and the rest?
9. Who pointed out, again and again, that fixed spool reels needed rotating pick-up rollers, at a time when not one production reel was so fitted?
10. Who campaigned for knotless keepnets, year after year, until Mr C.J. Field pioneered their commercial introduction, with the result that they are not only in universal use, but in most areas compulsory?
11. Who invented the single and double Grinner knots, superior to any other kind of knot for joining nylon line?
12. Who was the first to detect the 'vibration' bite from barbel, as different from the simple rod-bending pull, and explain how to detect it?
13. Who, after hearing that a former colleague, Mr Leslie Phillips, at the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough, had invented carbon fibre, went racing down there with Jim Hardy, of Hardy Brothers, to see how this new material might be used in fishing rods?
14. Who was the first angler in the world to catch Trout on a carbon fibre rod?
15. Who, after experimenting with a wide variety of different ways of joining hooks in tandem trout lures, finally discovered the best and easiest, namely a treble plait of 12Ib nylon monofil?
16. Who made a thorough investigation of the cause of loss of strength in nylon monofil, and discovered that it is due to either the effect of ultra-violet light, bright sunshine, to wet oxidation, or both, refuting makers claims that monofil was rot proof?
17. Who discovered that the cracking of PVC coatings of modern fly lines was due to the loss of plasticizer, brought about by a variety of factors including heat, the use of ordinary greases, or simply time in storage? Who devised a special grease to restore lost plasticizer?
18. Who with the aid of expert chemist Arnold Neave, devised a dip-in liquid that would thoroughly impregnate and waterproof dry trout flies, consisting of Silicon and suitable wax in solvent, and which didn't alter the colours of the flies?
19. Who, year after year, kept insisting that legering was a valuable method for the matchman, at a time when float-fishing was considered the only method worth using, and predicted that the day would come when the National Championship would be won with leger - and proved right?
20. Who first advocated the streamlined float with a central tube to allow its use as a slider, instead of the then universal cork bung with slit and peg? And illustrated it in a book published thirty years ago?
21. Who in the same book, described the running paternoster, now more commonly called the link leger - and illustrated it?
22. Who first described and advocated, for some conditions, the method now known as freelining?
23. Who first explained how modern glass or carbon fibre rods could be broken by violent efforts to make such rods flex against their own slight weight, without sufficient load, in the form of either lead or fly line on their tips?
24. Who explained that if you halve the thickness of a line, it becomes sixteen times more flexible, and vice-versa?
25. Who popularised the use of betalights in floats and other bite-indicators? Fair enough, I know Peter Wheat was the first in the field, but his efforts failed because the betalights used were too feeble by far. It was left to someone else to point out that a cheap betalight float that can't be seen beyond 5 to 7 yards was a poor buy; better to spend a few pounds more for one that you can see at thirty yards or more?
26. Who explained to the tackle trade that centrifugal governors on multiplier reels were the wrong way round; that instead of adding extra braking as the spool speeded up, they should add it as the spool slowed down?"

- Richard Walker 26/1/83

He was a great innovator. He was also an accomplished writer, publicising his ideas in magazines and books, and helping other anglers improve their fishing.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Here's an open letter which **** Walker wrote in 1983.

" I have long since abandoned false modesty, and there's an old saying that if you don't blow your own trumpet, nobody else will blow it for you. So this week, I'm going to blow mine, by asking some questions. Here they come!

1. Who wrote the first book about Stillwater fishing, with special reference to the problems of catching specimen fish?
2. Who designed and built the first satisfactory carp rod and has been designing carp rods, in cane at first, then fibreglass, and now carbon fibre, with calculated tapers, ever since?
3. Who designed and made the first net big enough to hold a 50Ib fish, yet light enough to be used with one hand?
4. Who invented the electric bite alarm?
5. Who invented the Arlesey bomb, now to be found in nearly every coarse fish anglers box?
6. Who devised the combination of paste and crust that produced a slow sinking bait that would come to rest on silkweed or soft mud?
7. Who invented vanes, like dart flights, for float tops, visible at long range and able to make use of the wind to take a bait to the right place? These vanes are now used by many Pike fishers.
8. Who invented a type of rod rest that ensured that the line would not be trapped between the rod and the rest?
9. Who pointed out, again and again, that fixed spool reels needed rotating pick-up rollers, at a time when not one production reel was so fitted?
10. Who campaigned for knotless keepnets, year after year, until Mr C.J. Field pioneered their commercial introduction, with the result that they are not only in universal use, but in most areas compulsory?
11. Who invented the single and double Grinner knots, superior to any other kind of knot for joining nylon line?
12. Who was the first to detect the 'vibration' bite from barbel, as different from the simple rod-bending pull, and explain how to detect it?
13. Who, after hearing that a former colleague, Mr Leslie Phillips, at the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough, had invented carbon fibre, went racing down there with Jim Hardy, of Hardy Brothers, to see how this new material might be used in fishing rods?
14. Who was the first angler in the world to catch Trout on a carbon fibre rod?
15. Who, after experimenting with a wide variety of different ways of joining hooks in tandem trout lures, finally discovered the best and easiest, namely a treble plait of 12Ib nylon monofil?
16. Who made a thorough investigation of the cause of loss of strength in nylon monofil, and discovered that it is due to either the effect of ultra-violet light, bright sunshine, to wet oxidation, or both, refuting makers claims that monofil was rot proof?
17. Who discovered that the cracking of PVC coatings of modern fly lines was due to the loss of plasticizer, brought about by a variety of factors including heat, the use of ordinary greases, or simply time in storage? Who devised a special grease to restore lost plasticizer?
18. Who with the aid of expert chemist Arnold Neave, devised a dip-in liquid that would thoroughly impregnate and waterproof dry trout flies, consisting of Silicon and suitable wax in solvent, and which didn't alter the colours of the flies?
19. Who, year after year, kept insisting that legering was a valuable method for the matchman, at a time when float-fishing was considered the only method worth using, and predicted that the day would come when the National Championship would be won with leger - and proved right?
20. Who first advocated the streamlined float with a central tube to allow its use as a slider, instead of the then universal cork bung with slit and peg? And illustrated it in a book published thirty years ago?
21. Who in the same book, described the running paternoster, now more commonly called the link leger - and illustrated it?
22. Who first described and advocated, for some conditions, the method now known as freelining?
23. Who first explained how modern glass or carbon fibre rods could be broken by violent efforts to make such rods flex against their own slight weight, without sufficient load, in the form of either lead or fly line on their tips?
24. Who explained that if you halve the thickness of a line, it becomes sixteen times more flexible, and vice-versa?
25. Who popularised the use of betalights in floats and other bite-indicators? Fair enough, I know Peter Wheat was the first in the field, but his efforts failed because the betalights used were too feeble by far. It was left to someone else to point out that a cheap betalight float that can't be seen beyond 5 to 7 yards was a poor buy; better to spend a few pounds more for one that you can see at thirty yards or more?
26. Who explained to the tackle trade that centrifugal governors on multiplier reels were the wrong way round; that instead of adding extra braking as the spool speeded up, they should add it as the spool slowed down?"

- Richard Walker 26/1/83

He was a great innovator. He was also an accomplished writer, publicising his ideas in magazines and books, and helping other anglers improve their fishing.

You are Ron Clay and I claim my £10 :D