''The fascination of weirpools''

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
It began in 1959, and has continued up to the present day. Initially it was Chub and Barbel that had my attention during the Summer/Autumn periods, and believe me when I say I pursued them with purpose. A ''delicious obsession'' that cast a spell over me that has never waned, except that nowadays the target species are Pike.

Is anyone else captivated by these magical places?

sam vimes

Reaction score
As there aren't that many local to me, not especially. I think I'll have been well into my thirties before I fished a weirpool, and it turned out to be a horrendous snag pit.

thecrow

Reaction score
I love em, so many different bits of water in one place, all can be explored even if it does mean loosing a bit of tackle, as Sam says they are very snaggy but for me that gives them character, having fished the Trent for years i'm used to that. They are also places where most species in a river will swim at some time

In these days of over abstraction they are sometimes the only place to find any decent flow on some rivers.

Lark

Reaction score
Got to love a weirpool.....
Oxygenated water, flow, natural food, back-eddys, the first calm stretch after the turbulent water. Ability to use just about any method and most species normally present at some time.
Can't resist them!!

flightliner

Reaction score
Fished beside them, on them, and in them. Even swam in them to gather info on their contours. Had great catches in them all.
Very dangerous places however and great care must be taken on all of them as witnessed by numerous drownings ,historically and in more recant times-- several soldiers back in the seventies and two anglers only a few years back on the Trents Cromwell weir alone --- one of my all time favourites was on Lincolnshires tiny river Bain , great times with good friends.

B

binka

Weir pools have always held a magnetism for me, not least because they seem to harbour just about every species going but also because of the power and noise of the water, the foam that the fish hide beneath and that distinctive water smell that is so much more noticeable.

So many methods to try for so many different fish be it a barbel in the main flow or a nice stripey in that deep undercut eddy right beneath your feet.

---------- Post added at 13:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:29 ----------

several soldiers back in the seventies

Coincidentally flight I noticed on the regional news this morning that there is a memorial service today in respect of those ten soldiers for one of the anniversaries of that tragic event.

john step

Reaction score
I don't manage to get to one very often but I agree they are fascinating places.
It always amazes me the fish you can catch in them that traditionally you may not associate with fast water.
Pike, perch, chub and even bream in Ireland.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Weirs have been very special to me since the early 70’s for a number of species – particularly barbel, chub and pike . Marlow weir was one of my favourites until around ’79 when it was taken off the Thames weir permit list due to ****** ‘elf&safety.

The Loddon weir pool at Twyford and the Burghfield river (Kennet) weir pool were also special for a great many years. I love the challenge of a weir pool and, with the constant changing, you never know what the topography will be like from one day to another...

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
As others have said, weirpools can be lovely places to fish, they can also be total disappointments ?

Having fished every weirpool on the Lea Navigation and caught some decent fish from most of them, it's surprising how often you can blank whilst fishing them.

In the spring I went to an EA netting at a Lea Navigation weirpool and not one Chub or Barbel was netted, there of course was a surprise and that's the beauty of Weirpools, you never know what's going to turn up ?

Bob

terry m

Reaction score
I adore fishing weir pools.

As a kid I would frequent the weirs on the Nadder and Avon around Salisbury, catching some huge grayling and rarely blanking.

Today weirs are often my first port of call when targeting pike, barbell or chub on the Hants Avon.

A word of caution during the winter floods, these places can become pretty damned hostile, and I would not fancy anyone's chances if they slipped in!

flightliner

Reaction score
Coincidentally flight I noticed on the regional news this morning that there is a memorial service today in respect of those ten soldiers for one of the anniversaries of that tragic event.
Binka, I once fished a big Worksop open match a short while after those poor guys lost their lives. Not long afterwards a pleasure craft went over and a whole family perished, it was then that the boom was strung across the river.
The soldiers are commemorated every year with a service and I understand the chap in the village shop as some input to it, there is an official headstone marking the event to the right as you enter the lock premises.
Six million gallons an hour in summer conditions is something not to be trifled with.

floatfish

Reaction score
The joy of fishing around Weir Pools either at the top of them ,down at the bottom, or in them. During the low water summer months you can stand on a lot of them and fish with no problem.
You have so many different spots to try that it can take you most of your day to try them all. But you will catch something decent on most visits.
Years ago in the rough water fisherman next to me had a large Tench.!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have always been drawn to the secrecy of weirpools, first when a teen ager on the Thames and then when graduating to the Hampshire Avon and the Nadder.

They are not the easiest place to fish and you need to be careful with your footing etc, but the reward s can be amazing.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have fished a few in my time. it took me a while to work out that the most fish are not in the fast water but some way downstream of it At least that is often how I have found it. I remember reading about float fishing silk weed in weirs for roach and that caught my imagination as a boy; you know those lovely old books with pen and ink diagrams of big cork floats and wooden rods. I still use big cork floats, my latest has not much paint left on it but it still looks good to my mind and I am sure fish prefer a damaged Rembrandt than a bit of graffiti.
Always attracted to weirs, the trouble is so is everyone else. maybe that's why I started fishing downstream of them to find a quiet spot and caught some good fish. I try the turbulent water but if not much happening take a stroll down stream and find some nice glides, the water is still oxygenated and fish are still attracted to it but happier to sit in a steadier flow and pick up bits of food; sometimes quite a long way back. I have picked up some cracking fish this way. Anything really, Barbel, Roach, Bream etc.

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I fished a small weir pool on the river Uck a few years ago and had one of the most varied catches with fourteen different species in one session, the swim for the most part was less than three feet deep.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I fished a small weir pool on the river Uck a few years ago and had one of the most varied catches with fourteen different species in one session, the swim for the most part was less than three feet deep.

Ray, that's some catch mate, ''fourteen different species'' in one session.

I've also had multi species catches, but none to equal yours. Mine have included Barbel, Carp, Chub, Bream, Perch and believe it or not even Pike on ''lumps of sausage''.

But it does reinforce the point nicely that Weirpools really are places full of surprises, great stuff.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
It was like fishing an aquarium Derek. It was also where I landed a near double figure pike that went for a small roach that I'd put back and who's teeth had become entangled in the mesh of my landing net. Bloody funny if there had been anyone to see it. I dived like Peter Shilton to save the net.