Decisions

wanderer

Reaction score
I will give you a little scenario and then ask for your comments. This has a remote relevance to another thread on here, but impartial personal choice of what your own actions would be given the same circumstances. The year, somewhere in the late seventies, the time close season, May, the venue one of the big trout reservoirs in Southern England. Being a coarse angler by nature and merely whiling away the hours till the glorious 16th, you are floating around chucking flies at the rainbows when suddenly the rod thumps and you start stripping in your lunch, but then bang, all hell breaks loose and a giant pike leaps angrily out of the water with other ideas. The battle was lost, but on relating the tale over a pint you are told, go fish black lures deep in front of the Dam and you may get a shock. The angler in question did and hauled into the boat what was believed to be a record Pike, with only a couple of his mates witnessing the event, it was returned to the water and no one was told about it for years, and then only silent friends. There are coarse records of several species floating around and caught on these venues, what would you do, publicise or keep quite.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I have found myself in a similar situation to the one you describe, and due to a couple of cock up's early in my speci hunting and the results that followed vowed to remain schtum. And have followed that policy for the last 45 years and have never regretted it.

wanderer

Reaction score
Due to your location , you probably wouldn't know the angler in question, but you are obviously familiar with whats floating around in these reservoirs and what you were expected to do with them, good on yer Derek, my feelings exactly.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Due to your location , you probably wouldn't know the angler in question, but you are obviously familiar with whats floating around in these reservoirs and what you were expected to do with them, good on yer Derek, my feelings exactly.

I think most of us of a certain age are familiar with the consequences of naming a water that has produced a record/near record fish. Walker with Redmire, Bob Reynolds with Billing and it still goes on today. With the inevitable result that the circus arrives, and in short order everything goes downhill. I don't expect to make many friends saying this, but I can only call it as I see it. And having bore witness to the destruction of five different waters in the last 25 years leaves a very bitter taste. Rant over, sorry.

wanderer

Reaction score
We don't mention Mr Reynolds in these parts, due to some of his Irish adventures, I went to school with his son, and his wife remarried and had a further family, a son is my current vet.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Schtum. I don't desire angling fame, quite the opposite. I'd be over the moon to catch any record fish, but I wouldn't want my name or a venue divulged. There are people I know well that I wouldn't tell about such a capture, let alone complete strangers. I see absolutely no advantage to me in my submitting a record claim.

john step

Reaction score
I bet Martin Gay would agree to keep quiet if he were alive now!!

wanderer

Reaction score
Or maybe it came from a trout reservoir out of season, just speculating, seen some big beasts.

law

Reaction score
I'd post pics, but make sure the venue couldn't be recognized. But if thats not possible, I'd keep quiet.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
It may be the age of the posters that reflects the answers - I'm guessing that most of today's publicity hungry younger generation anglers would send chapter and verse, location, bait used, rod and reel used to every magazine they could think of in order to try to get sponsorship

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Its not just the angler that needs to keep quiet. If the fishery gets to know they'll be trumpeting it all over everywhere in order to relieve the circus of as much of its wedge as possible before the poor beast in question succumbs to being hauled out just once too often. Its all about the money !

Not an issue I'll ever have to deal with but even I've seen what happens to waters once word gets out.

wanderer

Reaction score
It may be the age of the posters that reflects the answers - I'm guessing that most of today's publicity hungry younger generation anglers would send chapter and verse, location, bait used, rod and reel used to every magazine they could think of in order to try to get sponsorship

Love your little ad at the bottom Paul, your ears don't look to bad, my nose on the other hand, yuk. Nationality, half English, half Paddy, proud of both.