Lure spraying question

wa1115

Reaction score
I'm thinking of ordering some blank lures and having a go at spraying them myself.. You may wonder why but I enjoy arty type stuff (and catching on homemade's), but my question is, Can you recommend what type of spraygun I need? and any recommendations of specific make/brand? Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Chris.

P

pointngo

you want a dual action airbrush Chris, which gives you control over paint and air flows.

I use this one...

HS80 Gravity Feed d/Action Airbrush Special Set | eBay

You can buy the airbrush on its own but it only comes with a small tip which is more for detail work. If you put pearl paints through a 0.25mm brush it'll constantly clog up and need cleaning, as well as unevenly spitting paint at your lure.

The kit comes with a 0.25mm, 0.3mm and 0.5mm tips I think.. I find the 0.5mm the most useful (well I did until I broke it recently!)

You'll also need a compressor if you haven't got one already.

With most paints you'll likely have to thin them for use in the brush.. you can get thinners but if you're using water based acrylics then water is just as good.. and free. :cool:

wa1115

Reaction score
Thanks pointngo, excellent! Do I need special paints to use? Sorry for so many questions it makes me look simple but I would rather ask and get the correct things rather than just jumping in feet first.

P

pointngo

Better to get it right from the off mate otherwise it'll cost you in time and money. No such thing as a stupid question.. well, hardly ever. lol

I use Createx airbrush paints but there are others like Vallejo.

You'll also need to think about the epoxy coating... Envirotex Lite is the most used for pike lures but it takes a long time to cure and needs minimum 3 coats for pike lures. You get about an hour working time to put right any blemishes and for the best results a turning wheel is used, although hanging them up and turning them (end to end) for a couple of hours will give you a decent finish. Devcon 2-ton is one I've started using on bass lures recently and seems very good.. but you don't get much working time before it starts to go off.. literally a few minutes, so you can only do one lure at a time. Not sure how many coats of that needed for pike as I only give bass lures a single coat.

laguna

Reaction score
Good suggestion using an air brush, its years since Ive used one and I remember; as with all spray painting, it needs to be thinned down to get a good even flow without clogging the nozzle.

I recently bought something which might be of interest... Art paper ink!
Its totally water proof when dry and UV resistant and water-based. Its used for refilling our high-end label printer but it could also have potential as a spray medium in an air brush (ink jet) as well as a fine sable brush? The colours are vibrant and high opaque yet thin as a solvent dye.

Just a thought.

wa1115

Reaction score
Some excellent bits of advice thanks. Just considering cost now. Think it might be the paint that ends up making it expensive and maybe not cost effective.

neil1970

Reaction score
Just a thought, but why not try drawing on them with Sharpies - just coloured the eyes in on this and the colours definitely not coming off anytime soon.

It's going to end up looking like a hotrod by the time I've finished with it :D

Last edited:

wa1115

Reaction score
Well I think for the amount of lures I would be spraying it won't be cost effective due to the cost of paints. Maybe something to look at in the future, for now I shall just stick to tying jig-flies and order the lures sprayed how I want them, Thanks for the advice and ideas folks.

laguna

Reaction score
Those folks who make plastisol lures will know to dust coat the inside of the mould before pour with pearlecent colours. And another solution is to drop or suspend hard lures into a solution of clothing dye and leave for a few days. Dying gives them an all over appearance but its also possible to mask off a few areas to make stipe patterns and such with insulation tape or painted on vascilene. A quick touch up here and there with a brush gives fine lines and definition... its a great winter project!

[if you have the time]

fishplate42

Reaction score
Well I think for the amount of lures I would be spraying it won't be cost effective due to the cost of paints. Maybe something to look at in the future, for now I shall just stick to tying jig-flies and order the lures sprayed how I want them, Thanks for the advice and ideas folks.

Yes, I tend to agree, if it was just about time and motion, but I enjoy the time I spend making things even if it is not cost effective. I have never made lures but I might in the future ;)

Come to think of it it is much easier to ho to the supermarket and buy fish but I still prefer to sit on the bank for hours and moan about how few fish I have caught... :eek:

Ralph.