Margin fishing on Smiths/Hardwicks

andydriver

Reaction score
Me and a mate are off to Linear next weekend. We've always fished Bras 2 but fancy a change. As we love margin fishing, does anyone have any tips as to which pit would be best for this approach? We've only got 48 hours so need all the help we can get - we've heard that Smiths/Hardwicks is a good bet, so if anyone has any further info on which sections are most productive from the margins, that would be a big help.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Smiths and Hardwicks get a lot of angling pressure so I'd imagine that margin work could be hard... I know that Brasenose 1/2 have a big drop off a few yards out in places, so if Smiths Hardwicks follow the same pattern, then I'd place my baits at the bottom of that drop off, or pin them hard on the slope... I've not fished Smiths/Hardwick, so I'm not au' fait with the best spots but I have heard that the spits either side can produce tight in... hope this helps

Good luck:cool:

thecrow

Reaction score
Haven't fished Hardwick for a long time, it was a separate water to Smiths other than a connecting pipe then, best success I ever had from the margins was along the conveyer belt bank, easy to walk your bait along and drop it in with a few freebies, during this time midweek the most anglers I ever saw on there was 4, I doubt that would be the case now and with the increase in numbers I don't know if the conveyer bank would fish the same. Good luck.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
Yep, whole sardine on a Dacron hook length threaded through with a #6 hook coming out the scissors and night fished. Caught Peter Stone some nice fat chub that did.
Or, seeing as Linear is rammed with carping heroes just do the opposite.

wanderer

Reaction score
Yep, whole sardine on a Dacron hook length threaded through with a #6 hook coming out the scissors and night fished. Caught Peter Stone some nice fat chub that did.
Or, seeing as Linear is rammed with carping heroes just do the opposite.

Hee, Hee, sly old dig, appreciated by the old school.

andydriver

Reaction score
Thanks all for you replies. Nobby, always preferred a big fat slug, free-lined and bumped along the bottom for Chub myself when I fished Dobbs Weir years ago, but a sardine sounds good. The river over the back of Bras 2 looks like a prime spot, shame we can't fish it!